What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, June 17, 2013

The Weekend








  






My, the weekend was a busy, busy, busy one.  Saturday my mom coordinated her annual street yard sales, so my sister and I lugged our excess J.U.N.K to her place to try and make a few pennies, as we do every year.  Yard sale pennies are mine alone to hoard, spend or admire so, as much work as it is, I keep doing it.  I can't stop!  But every Friday-night-before, when I stay up until all hours of the night trying to frantically sticker everything in sight, I always question my resolve.  "WHY AM I DOING THIS?!?!"  When, on Saturday afternoon, I come home a few bucks richer, a van-full lighter, and a great deal tired, I am always glad I did do it.  I made a whopping $72 buckeroo's on .25 cent stickers...not a single big-ticket item in the bunch.  I was pleased.

Friday night, I took a 20 minute break from frantic-yardsale-stickering to enjoy the fireworks show with the children.  Our community puts one on every year around this time, and our porch happens to be PRIME seating-or standing- for the show.  I think there is something wonderfully fantastic about watching fireworks from your own home.  And they were impressive!

There was lots of Father-Love in the best way I know how to show it...through good old fashioned baked goods.  Coconut Macaroons for my dad.  (His favorite.)  A strawberry rhubarb pie for Matt's.  (His favorite.)  A strawberry rhubarb pie for Matt.  (His favorite, too.)  And the children made a batch of double dipped peanut butter pretzel rods for their Papa.  Judah and Adele' dipped the pretzels in peanut butter.  Andrew and Corynn dipped them in the chocolate and a whole-lotta fingers sprinkled bits of peanut.

I really have such wonderful men in my life.  Strawberries and coconut can't truly convey the depth of gratitude I have for them, but they do a fantastic job trying!

Speaking of rhubarb.  Only three of the six crowns I planted have resulted in any growth.  This REALLY bothers me.  I might have to make a second planting.  What HAS finally come up is the asparagus.  I was just beginning to lose hope on them too, and then I see their fragile, dainty little heads pointed heavenward one day.  YAY!  Asparagus!!

And then, just when the irises began to fizzle (my, how lovely they were!) the PEONIES popped and the roses did too!  So the air is spicy and rosy these days and I can't help but bury my nose in petals every chance I get.

~~~~~~~

This is our LAST week of homeschool for the year....and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready!


5 comments:

9peasMom said...

I love the idea of baking for Father's Day - so wonderful!
Watching fireworks from your front porch sounds perfect!
I know what you mean about yard sales, it is nice when you add up all the nickles and dimes and find some great $$ resulted from the work!

mapleleafmom said...

oops.lost my comment..here we go again


awesome pics...I love weekends like that...busy but productive

mom swore by cow manure for her rhubarb, and when you plant them to put a shovelful in the hole. I guess they are heavy feeders..so fertize..

I didn't do this and all 3 of my crowns DIED..a miserable hot Virginia death.

BajaManna said...

I agree - you take the best photos of anyone in the bloggy world. I wish I could grow asparagus. I planted some in the last place that we lived, but we moved away before they could really get going, and I can't get asparagus crowns in Mexico. Ah well, next time you eat your own asparagus, dedicate some to me!

Unknown said...

I love these weekend newsy posts....your treats are so delish looking! And the photographs are AWESOME! I love the crispness of them and the LIGHT. You have a gift woman...with baking AND photography. ;) I just ADORE the seed photo...LOVELY post, friend!

Abigail said...

One:
Yes. Rhubarb. Manure. (My cow manure supplier has dried up, thanks to Scott living so far away now, so I used horse manure instead, with similar results.)

Two:
I have 24 rhubarb plants. If they don't die before they're mature in a year or two, I will be glad to arrange a basketful of rhubarb for a basketful of asparagus. (I'm so sly.)

Three: If you're too greedy with your asparagus to trade that, I'll take hot peppers instead. I don't think I planted enough, but there's no more room, and I hear you have enough for the Army.

Four: I now officially adopt you as my very own daughter. (I can't wait until Father's Day 2014!!!)