What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, July 29, 2013

A Week of Lists: Monday


This Saturday I am hosting a Newman family picnic.  (The second of what seems to be turning into an annual tradition.)  Then, because August days are filling up so quickly with things I also scheduled to host a library ladies garden brunch the day before, on FRIDAY.  My theory was I could kill two birds with one stone or: two (parties) with one (deep house cleaning).  In theory, it sounds fabulous- in reality, it may not be. It is curious that everyone I have told has thought I was insane.  Matt said I am a glutton for punishment.

Needless to say, this week is going to be VERY busy planning (and preparing) to host two shin-digs in one weekend.  Yesterday I took my Sabbath rest seriously.  I crocheted, I wrote letters, I read- all in the flower garden.  I did nothing else.  At all.

In lieu of normal blog posts this week, I am going to post my to-do lists for each day.  Nothing like a public accountability to motivate someone to get things done!  Plus, I know for a fact that a few of you like sneak peeks into daily activities.  For those who don't....sorry about this.  But it is either this or I disappear for a week.  :-)

These lists are overly-ambitious, but that helps to keep me chugging along.  Anything I miss will be rolled-over into tomorrow's list.  I'll let you know how I did tonight!

To-Do for To-Day

* put away three baskets of folded laundry from over weekend
* change sheets on childrens' beds and add mattress covers
* wash sheets/hang to dry/fold/put away
* do load of clothes and a load of towels (all caught up on laundry if this gets done!)
* fold said loads and put away
* figure out the MENU I will be serving at both shin-digs / write grocery list
* write must-do's before parties
* take Corynn to last American Girl Class at library
* grocery shopping day- go to town while Corynn is in her class.
* mail letters from yesterday
* thin beets
* finish wedding/newspapering/hay mulching asparagus bed
* plant peas, lettuce, spinach
* make refrigerator pickles
* weed two buckets worth from garden (Corynn and Andrew- a bucket each)
* sweep hallway floor (Andrew)
* make/drop off invite to library brunch
* freezer seal flash-frozen huckleberries
* dinner (gazpacho and grilled crusty bread)
* dishes
* call Linda and Ruth about party
* have Matt epoxy kitchen countertop (he did!)
* planted three perennial clumps my MIL brought over (this wasn't originally on the list, but it had to happen for them to transplant well.)

BIG JOB for the day:
* organize bookshelves in stairway (Adele' and Corynn helped)
* take any yard sale books/duplicates to granary
* dust cobwebs in stairway
* shelve piles of books on stairs
* sweep and wash stairs (Adele' washed, Corynn swept)

Have a good day!



9 comments:

Bonnie said...

Yay parties! The ladies lunch- oh so envious! My sister I and are going to a friends church this evening for a gardening/canning talk, I'm SO looking forward to it (and B. mentioning every few hours that I should go (unprompted) makes me feel less guilty for being gone for an evening).
I just pulled 2 buckets worth of weeds. And I'm thinking maybe I'll just cut them down to ground level with garden shears....

Bonnie said...

P.S. We're having sloppy Joe's tonight.

Julian said...

I am pretty envious about that lunch too! Please post pictures! It soubds like you have a very busy week ahead! Thanks for not abandoning your readers, haha. Lists are great1 I'm a list maker too. Heres to hoping all the hard work pays off in an excellent weekend!
Christina

beth said...

I am beyond wowed (daunted!) by your plans for the day's work and eager for tonight's update!
Wishing you all good things as you do all that you do.
Admiringly,
b in va

Abigail said...

Methinks someone misses the excitement of lists in in-boxes again! Methinks it's the season to begin again! Methinks "methinks" is a silly word to repeat, and methinks I'm joking about the excitement of inbox listies! Methinks!

Good luck this week, Rebecca. Even if portions of the lists linger, it will be a lovely weekend, and your work will be rewarded.

Abigail said...

p.s. I'm eating gazpacho and buttered, crusty bread for BREAKFAST. Good call, there. :)

mapleleafmom said...

i'd do the same...as a lot of it will be do once, profit twice...and it will be fun...i'd o pay to go to your brunch!!!!!

you should look at the prudent homemaker blog...she hosts tours...you could host tea parties...will "classes" on weeding..hhaha....your garden would be weed free in 2 lunches

beth said...

seeing all that you were able to cross off your list . . .

wow. just wow.

b

Rebecca said...

Abigail- methinks you are correct.

Mapleleaffarm- would you believe just YESTERDAY I discovered her blog? Quite by accident too- but fell in love immediately. Anyone who can feed a family of 9 on $100.00 a month is pretty GREAT in my book. (PLus, she takes gorgeous photographs and grows her own peaches. What a gem!)

Weed classes- yes!