What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, July 01, 2013

Droopy



 

 


  






It is rainy and dreary again today- I can't believe all the rain we have been getting!  And it still isn't over!  I'd like to be able to say I have been using all this time indoors to accomplish lots of indoorsy-things- but I can't really place where the time has gone.

My back hurts because I twisted it badly (again) so that has slowed me down but mostly I think it is just a matter of having the rainy-day(s) droops.  Ever get those?  I wander around the house, feet thumping and dragging, while I decide where to sit down and rest next.  Walking from the couch in the living room up the stairs calls for a rest on the bed with the window fan blowing.  I did start a new crochet project so I could justify about 1/16th of the sitting I have been doing with busy fingers.  As for the rest- well, the droops explain the rest.

The shawl is called a Bridal Shawl, (though obviously I missed the mark on this one by about 11 years) and I am doing a sortof crochet-along with a friend who needs help reading patterns.  The girl makes up her OWN patterns out of her head- but can't read ones already made.  So, we work together.  Mine in Bernat Satin Jade and hers in Buttercup colored Bamboo.  Both were skeins just lying around.  I definitely like the lay of the bamboo better (which is the yarn called for.  duh.) but oh well.  Using what I have...  She spent the night last night and we stayed up until midnight and drank strawberry daiquiris with (extra!) whipped cream and watched Safe Haven while crocheting up flowers.  Quintessential Girls Night.  It was lovely.  Grown-up sleepovers always are.

I made the best batch of granola ever this week and it is a nice large portion.  It is SO good.  Especially on top of homemade yogurt and morning-picked strawberries.  The strawberry patch has yielded about four quarts of berries (and all divine!) so it has done much better this year than last.  Perhaps next year will be the bumper crop?  I can only hope.  As for the vegetable gardens, well, I don't even want to think about that.  Between raindrops and crippling back pain- the garden weeds might get the best of me this year.  I never got the cardboard/hay down all the way and I am paying for it now.  The fact that it is raining while my back hurts only helps *a bit*.  I know what I will have to contend with when the sun finally shines and it ain't pretty.

In between raindrops, I gathered up the last of the peonies which seemed to bloom later up on this hill than anywhere else around.  Trying to soak up the scent until next year.  Rather unsuccessfully, I might add.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

It's raining here agin too. I tilled the garden and bemoaned its rather pitiful looks. But it's only been in a month, and I have some green tomatoes and hot peppers! I'm sorry about the back, that just stinks. Dishes and much much much needed sewing on the agenda for this evening, summer colds seem to have hit so plans to read to the small fry won't be happening. Sigh. Rain.

Catie said...

Your pictures are so lovely. :) I'm adding the granola recipe to my recipe box. Yum!

Sorry about your back! Back (and neck) pain is the worst! It doesn't trump labor, but you know what I mean.

Julian said...

Pretty pictures! So blessed on the rain we won't have any for a few more days. Its been forever. Its so nice you have friends that can do that. Nothing better for encouragement;).
Sorry about your back.... take it easy.
Christina

Renata said...

Great pictures! I love the crochet you are doing & I am coveting your dinner bell ;) I am after one for the farm just like that (so, so sick of screaming my lungs out each meal time). Enjoy your rain & I hope your back gets better soon!
Blessings
Renata:)

Abigail said...

You make rainy days look utterly inviting. I love rainy days, but this past week I've been anxious for it to quit already! Maybe I just needed to take prettier pictures. More scones and oil lamps; less grass and mud tracked in the house. :)

And I'm glad your strawberries are finally earning their keep! They look luscious.