What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Saturday Review



Once again, Matt needed to put his Saturday time in at work, so the kids and I had two options to whittle away our time until he comes home.

1) Sit around, hot and sweaty, twiddling our thumbs.

2) Go for an adventure or two. Still hot and sweaty, but at least it would be for a good cause.

I opted for the latter. I packed the children some lunches and made sure to bring my camera because I had a secret destination planned!) and then we headed out at the crack of dawn (well, not quite, but still early) to find some yard sales. And boy DID we! I didn't get anything glamourous or luxurious as have been hearing about quite often these days-but I DID come home happy.

At one particular yard sale, the lady, while making polite conversation, asked me "Are there lots of good yard sales out there?" to which I replied "Well, this is only the second I have seen. I plan to go to town where there will hopefully be more. I am in the market for a toddler bed. Or even a CRIB, really. My little guy has been sleeping in a portapack since he grew out of his cradle."

Astonishingly, she said "I have a crib that I would be willing to sell!"

When I asked her how much she said, " $30.00"

I sighed. (This shows you how stingy I am...) "Oh. Well, thank you-but I was really only hoping to spend about half that and I can't ask you to cut your asking price by half. I will just keep looking. Thanks though."

Then, she went inside, took it apart and brought it out. Mattress (with sheet included) and everything and said "How about ten dollars?"

Uhhhh...YEAH! :-)

It is pretty marked up on the tops of the sideboards, true. But I was so happy! I have been feeling SO bad about my poor little guy waking up on hard plywood in the morning. It does my heart good to know he will rest comfortably now!

Then, at the very next yard sale, there was a crib set. For a boy! With quilt pieced edging, trains and boats in all different textures and prints. It was...bumper, quilt, and crib skirting and she was asking $15.00.

This time, I only HAD $10.00 to spend. I told her and she accepted.

SO. My panda is living like a king in his very poshly accommodating cage, er, crib. And all for $20.00!!!!! HURRAY!

The children sat in the car while I perused each yard sale (don't worry, I parked in their driveways!) and did SO well, I was happy to take them to their surprise destination.

The other day I saw, scribbled on flourescent pink posterboard "CIVIL WAR CAMP at the park". I didn't know what that meant. But I figured- At best...it would be a fun and educational experience, at worst a good opportunity to play on the swings. It was a win/win in my book.

I packed up the lunches, grabbed my camera, and headed to our picnic destination.

I had the only 'children' there. Everyone else was middle to later-aged which is why we were DOTED on by EVERYONE. Or, atleast, that is what I attribute it to. The Horse Calvary rode right over to us so the children could pet the horses and asked if I wanted to take their picture with them, I could hear the chattering of onlookers as I laid out our picnic blanket and settled the kids in for their lunch, they happily exclaimed at how quiet the children were during the presentations and they practically tripped over each other when I asked them if someone might mind getting their picture taken with my children.

It was sweet.

And it made me thankful to live just outside of a tiny little town, where people enjoy people.

Corynn's favorite part was petting the horse- and "seeing all the fancy dresses and beautiful ladies".

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog, we DO have a lot in common! If only you were closer :)

I'll be keeping up with yours now too!

Leanne