What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 07, 2008

Adieu



Well, this weekend I finally set out to pack up those Christmas decorations. I made myself do it, though my heart wasn't in it. The house is so bare and sparse now. At first it made me sad but now I look at it as a clean slate and a fun decorating challenge. How can I make the house look wonderful even now?

Before I put the decorations away, I snapped a few pictures of the stockings. You see, Corynn had a lovely stocking knit for her when she was born and we anticipated the same being done for Andrew. It didn't however, and on Christmas Eve, poor little guy didn't have a stocking! So, about five minutes before bed, I made him one.

This one.



I used an old wool sweater and cut the shape out, incorporating the side seam and bottom. About 3.5 nanoseconds later and a single straight stitch later... I was done and in bed for the night. It isn't FABULOUS but one thing I will say about it, is it works! :-)



One thing I really enjoy, is listening to sermons, lectures, seminars on cd. It is a wonderful way to continue learning and encourages reflection while my hands are also busy. I listen while I clean the kitchen, while I sew, crochet, or work in the living room. In fact, the only reason I was convinced to undo that Christmas tree was knowing I had a brand new cd to listen to. Home Sweet Home, Encouraging our Daughters to be Keepers At Home was the one I listened to on Saturday. Many good thoughts there. I was enjoying myself SO much, that when all the Christmas decorations were done and the cd was still running, I found another task to work on. Cleaning out the linen cupboard. I won't even begin to tell you how awful the inside of that cupboard looked before! Now I have lace, doilies, and tablerunners on the top shelf. Tablecloths on the second. On the third is my candle stash and my dehydrator. The last is white tablelinens and all my cloth napkins.

I will say this.... They were not sorted before. They were BARELY folded. They were haphazard and threatening an avalanche everytime the door was opened.

If you are anything like me...if you need motivation to tackle a big project-just plug in a cd lecture! It is not surprising then, that I tell you that we own more audio cds than music cds! ;-) Imagine my excitement when I receive the Canon Press order that should be coming any day now! Did anyone else take part in the free apron and tongs deal with purchase deal?!? What are YOU expecting to receive?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Good idea! I have several podcasts downloaded to my computer, but I rarely remember to start one before a big job.

Love your nicely folded stacks of linens. You have an even larger collection than I do!

Smith Family said...

I think I will try the cleaning with a cd. I would love to hear that one too.I need something to help me around here.

ShiningStar said...

where did u get that Sermon from...about training our daughters? thank you!!