What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Apple Questions..........HELP!

Okay-I have posted A LOT this week-but this is an 'emergency'. This will be my last post of the week and it is quick. I hope I get some answers quick too.

Yesterday, after I put Corynn down for nap, I started my apple projects. I worked for HOURS with out very much payback. I only made two quarts of applesauce in a span of three hours. I also started the process of apple butter, made an apple crisp, and made cinnamon-sugar apple peels, but come ON! I was hoping to make a LOT of applesauce at once. Most of my time was spend peeling the 15 pounds of apples I needed for the recipes. UGH! I was so SICK of peeling apples afterwards! So-here are my questions. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

1) Can you skip the peeling process all together? Matt's mom does it that way but I just can't figure our how the peels don't get into the applesauce.

2) Can you make a large quantity of applesauce in a roaster oven? It seems like you could-but I wouldn't know how. I have to finish making apple butter today-and canning it...which will fill up the stove pretty good. I won't have room to make applesauce! If you can-how?

3) Just out of curiosity...what are preferences for chunky/smooth applesauce? My food mill didn't work properly yesterday so I mashed it all with a potato masher! It looks really good though!

Okay-I guess that is all the questions I had. I still have a bushel of apples to do sometihng with-and I HAVE to finish them THIS week so I can devote the next few weeks to doing crafts for the many shows I have lined up.

Matt leaves on Sunday night to go to Vermont for a few days on business. I will probably post again while he is away-and then I will post part 2 of Wealth and Prosperity. So-look for it! (As if you are interested! hehehe)

Thanks in advance for your help...

5 comments:

Das-h-afiz said...

nice..visit my blog at crystalline

Abigail said...

Last year I used a food mill to make applesauce, but I no longer "have" one (it belonged to the professor's wife of the house we were sitting on). This year, I'll probably use the extra Squeezo I lifted from my mom last time we were down.

If your food mill is working today, skip the peeling. You can just cook the apples after coring and slicing (or even without coring, tho' I've not tried it), and then mash it through the sieve, leaving the undesirable parts behind. I've heard that you can cook the apples in the oven, but I've never tried it (some help, huh!). You probably would only have to core them before cooking.

One thing to look out for (or borrow if you know someone who has it) is a peeler like this one. My mom was given one a few years ago, and she said it makes the chore a breeze. Also, if you don't have one of these , they're really inexpensive (if you don't buy a fancy one like the one I linked to)and save a bunch of time. For the record, I just linked to the first ones I found and am not endorsing any particular merchant or brand. :)

Chunky or smooth? I prefer chunky, but I'd like to make both if free apples present themselves. Onward, ho, potato masher!

Abigail said...

oops. i left a question about pumpkin butter in your post that mentioned pumpkin butter. when you get a breather (next week, maybe!), i'd be happy to get your advice.

and, mmmm, apple crisp... :)

Leah said...

Rebecca,

I prefer CHUNKY applesauce! :) So we use the little apple peeling gadget that Abby referred you to in her comment. And then I put all the apples in a big stock pot. Add a little sugar. Then cook down until it's the consistency/texture I like it.

Another tip: The bigger the apples, the less peeling you have to do! ;) I like to use 20 oz. Pippins for my applesauce.

Hope that helps a little!

Michelle said...

Hi! Well, since my email to you didn't go through, maybe this will! What I use to make my applesauce (this is the first yr I ever made any, but have helped my mom for years with it) is my mom's Squeezo Strainer!! It is SO EASY. You just halve or quarter the apples, put them in a stockpot with about 1/2" of water, boil until soft, then put into the gadget. It separates all the seeds and peels by itself. It does make a smooth applesauce, though...