What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, September 05, 2005

Deals of a lifetime and disaster clean-up

My disposition has greatly improved since my last post. I am tired and not feeling very good-but my outlook is much better. I think the same is true with Matt, I believe. This whole weekend has been a whirlwind and a half-leaving me with much unfinished business. Our home has never been so trashed before. At times, one particular room has been buried in STUFF-but never all the rooms at once!

On Thursday I decided to move the 'master' bedroom around. Not only is it an interesting change-but the room is COMPLETELY clean-vacuumed, dusted, washed: EVERYWHERE! You wouldn't believe how DIRTY things can be even when they look tidy! The setup should serve us well this winter since our bed is no longer by the windows. Because I had to wash all of our table scarves and such, I replaced them with scarves with fallish-flair. As I type, I am taking great wiffs of a brand new home interior candle flavored in Apple Crisp. Would you believe I got it at a yard sale, unused, for a dime?!?! I can't imagine NOT using a candle if I had one-let alone selling a brand new one for .10! I am really getting into the fall swing of things. I even put our wedding quilt, made for us by my friend Mandie, on our bed. There is NOTHING better than waking up in the morning, with your bodies warm under a quilt. And I have enjoyed cuddling with my husband again; in the summer we are so hot we try not to touch each other as we sleep. The cooler weather brings us closer together! hehehe

This weekend was Corynn's birthday-and with it came several parties. Of course-one will not do. Matt's parents had people over on Friday and then my family got together after church on Sunday. Hopefully at some point, we can consolidate these things. Corynn is a pro at candle-blowing! And I must say, she was darling as she opened her presents. As each one was revealed she gave proper exclamation over them, making each gift giver proud to have given such a gift. Except of course, the most expensive gift of all. Matt has a particular aunt who always goes far above and beyond for whatever reason. She has been the giver of a radio flyer wagon, an L.L bean sleigh, and now, for this years birthday, a children's rocker from Cracker Barrel. I can't imagine how much money it was-it was BEAUTIFUL for sure, but Corynn started crying when it was suggested she sit in it! It was the last gift and it was two hours past her bedtime, everyone was staring at her and pushing her towards it-and she just didn't like it! I felt so bad! Thankfully, all was made well again, when she eventually sat in it and started rocking away.

On Saturday morning/afternoon I hit a community yard sale near where Matt's parents live. The last of the season for me, I imagine. Among the treasures I found were....
~a brand new home interiors candle for .10
~Three boxes of canning supplies including a juicer, canning wax, water bath canner with inner rack, food mill, 2 jar lifters, a funnel, and LOTS of jars-both metal and glass topped. Three boxes worth for... $3.00
~Three pairs of like-new shoes for me ( I NEVER EVER find shoes at yard sales that are my size...let's just say size 11 is hard to come by!) $2.50
~Numerous books for .25 a piece including some from B. and B. Theone, J. Oke, B. Lewis, and more.
~A bag of victorian type curtains-five or six different sets for $3.00
~an old antique victorian tablecloth $2.00
Maybe the last of the season-but also the best. I have never made out so good!

Now, perhaps you can see what I am dealing with today. Doing a disaster clean-up of my own. Five bags of yard sale treasures, party dishes, trash and presents from here, presents from THERE, unpacking from the weekend, moving room around stuff, trying to trade off warm weather clothes for their cooler counterparts, and getting ready for my mother's yard sale. All these things equal HAVOC! Oh-another project for this week is to change Corynn over to her birthday bed. I ave lots of pictures but not the time to post them. Expect them in the near future... for now, I must go-I am craving in the worst way split pea soup....ever since reading about it on 'Homemaking on the Homestead'. Have a great night!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Whew! After reading this, no wonder why you didn't come over to our place on Monday! I would've been in a coma after all that activity! I also wanted to go to that yard sale, but we were pretty busy that day and forgot about it. What a blessing you were able to find all that great stuff!!!!! :)

Rebecca said...

Well Michelle! Welcome to blogdom! :-)

Yes. I was so sorry to miss you on Monday and miss seeing your house and all, but I just can't bear to go do 'fun' things when I know my own house needs tons of work. It just doesn't feel right. You know? Makes me feel like I am not properly doing my job and setting my priorities!

Hopefully, I can get up there one of these days-though I doubt anytime this week. I am trying to get stuff organized to haul for my mother's yard sale on Saturday. And as you can imagine, though I worked all day long-I STILL didn't finish all that needed to happen!

Abigail said...

um. dare i ask if someone is already succumbing to the nesting bug? :)

i laugh when i think what an uproar i'll cause in our little nook if the bug strikes me.

the amount of useful things you got at the yard sale- at such great prices!- is incredible. i've been looking all summer for a pressure cooker and food mill (i borrowed a squeezo from my mom) and could find none. God provides so well for His own, and now you're in great shape for next canning season!