What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, September 26, 2005

When a task is once begun, never leave it until it's done. -New England saying

Back from another busy weekend and looking forward to a busy week. Matt worked for a guy from Church, being clerk for him at his auction. He worked nearly 11 hours on Sautrday, after a long week of his full time work. He did enjoy himself though, and even bought a dresser for Peanut for $5.00! We are hoping he will have the opportunity to work for the auctioneer some more. While he slaved away, I went yard saling. Not very fair, it seems. While I did, I was able to get some good deals like a lap quilting loop, and a baby basket for when Peanut arrives. This will probably be the last of the yard saling I do though. Time to stop spending money (even if we do need certain things, with yard saling you inevitably buy things you don't need too...) I have tried to stock up on yard sale finds for when Peanut arrives but haven't been very successful. We do have plenty of sleepers though, and that will see us through until NEXT yard sale season.

While at G&L's this weekend, I picked nearly 2 bushels of apples off of their trees. I had a DUH moment, when I forgot that they HAD apple trees and was about to send Matt off to get a bushel of apples on his way home from work one day. I am convinced, that you spend MORE money to can when you purchase the ingredients, than you would just buying the product. That is why, when we do have our own land, we will certainly plant peach and apple trees, blueberry bushes and the like. Until then, I am thankful that G&L have an abundance of certain fruits as long as hands are willing to pick! I hope to get another 'load' of apples before it is too late, because not only do I want to make applesauce, I have my heart SET on making apple butter, cinnamon apple peels, and maybe even canning some apple pie filling. This week is DEFINATELY applesauce and apple butter week though. I also want to make pumpkin butter this week. I am CRAVING it-one of the most delicious 'butters' I have tasted. The recipe came from my sister-in-law Holly. I also have to harvest our beets and maybe even make some canned tomatoes or spagetti sauce. (My other sister-in-law Julie brought over brimming bowl of tomatoes for us!)

I have lots of sorting and organizing to do this week too. I hope to clean and organize the mudroom (a CONSTANT battle in this house!), get out winter shoes-pack away summer shoes (Matt will be needing his slippers soon!), and organizing the basement. LOTS to do. It has been raining all day long here. I sort of hope it continues because when it is rainy I am more motivated to do things-maybe because I am not tempted to be outside all day or do any running around.

I have decided on a Chrsitmas present for Corynn this year. I am going to make her and I matching aprons, and I will get her some kitchen tools like a rolling pin, and some small pans and such. She loves to help me in the kitchen so I am sure sure she will love it. I should also include a broom in this set-up because when she DOES help me in the kitchen, the clean-up always takes nearly as long as the preparing! Right now though, I am not working on Christmas presents just yet. I am working, slowly but surely, on the many craft projects necessary for the numerous craft shows I am doing this year. I was complimented by having my show list doubled by people who have seen my craft tables and items made, and who have invited me to participate in their shows. Now it is just a matter of making the stuff, and being creative since my supplies are limited-and so is money. My first show of the season is October 22nd. That is just 4 weeks and counting!

If anyone who knows how to build a nice looking website is willing to teach someone not so computer-savvy, I am looking to build a website soon for the holidays and beyond. Or if anyone knows a good, easy-to-understand, FREE tutorial for setting up a website, I would sure be appreciative!

I am starting to feel a bit better with this pregnancy-still sick occasionally, but at least I can eat supper! Our doctor's appt. is on Thursday and I am so excited to finally see this growing being inside of me! We will be getting our family pictures done this week too. Matt wants to start growing his winter beard early so I want to get a family picture done while he is still clean-shaven. It is an exciting time, for sure. Well, I have got to get moving. I enjoyed writing this while sipping my apple cider, though!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Rebecca
An off the subject question. How did you delete a comment that was posted that you didn't want in there? Can you let me know how you deleted it? Thanks so much
Blessings
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hello, I read your blog pretty regularly and I do enjoy it very much.~Thanks~ I am enrolled in a class that is suppose to teach you how to build your own website, it is thru BarnesandNoble.com, it is an online class and the best part is it is free. Im not sure how good it is, as I have just started myself but it may be worth checking out.~Take Care~Krystal in PA.

Rebecca said...

Brenda~ when you view the comments section after you write one, you will notice a little trash can looking icon at the bottom of each comment. Just click on the icon and it will ask you if you want to delete it. Easy as that....I THINK! :-)

Krystal~ Hi! It is good to know of someone else who reads my blog! I am excited about what you told me-and I am going to definately check it out! Thank you so much!

Abigail said...

I'm trying to muster the nerve to climb the pear tree down the street from us. It's a big, beautiful pear tree right next to the sidewalk (and its owners' apt. building), and the pears are just going to waste!

I envy your apple abundance. I've love to make it down to my mom's sometime before apple season ends to pick up a few boxes. Does your sister-in-law can the pumpkin butter or freeze it? I have been planning to can pumpkin butter all year, but I recently read that it's not safe to can pureed pumpkin or squash because it's too dense to ensure that the center has reached proper temperatures to kill the yukky stuff (which isn't a problem with higher-acid fruit butters, but pumpkin/squash has a low acidity). Anyway, if you know, let me know, because our teensy freezer is tempting me to try canning it anyway. :)

Good luck with the craft shows! You should definitely post pictures of your beautiful wares for those of us too far away to attend.

Rebecca said...

Abby-I am not exactly sure what she does. I will call and ask her to be sure. My freezer is tiny too, which would make me want to try canning it..it may not last long enough to spoil! I will let you know what I come up with. I may try and freeze it because though I have a pressure canner (Leah got it for me at a yard sale) the seal needs to be replaced and I wanted to have it 'checked out' to make sure it wouldn't blow up on me....I don't know!