What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, September 16, 2005

My life in a nutshell...a PEANUT shell, in fact!

This is going to be a newsy post. Once again, I am procrastinating using my Blog as an evil deterrent. Ah well. I promise at the start of next week, I will post something...perhaps not PROFOUND, but certainly something worth thinking about. It has been far too long since I have written on something IMPORTANT. I have some very interesting insights I would like to share on Wealth and Prosperity-just not the time to put them down in a thoughtful way.

Yesterday Matt was sick. He stayed home from work-which he rarely does, slept all day long, which he rarely does. But here was the kicker. He didn't even smile at Corynn's usually hilarious antics. I knew he was sick then. Unfortunately, I had to be gone most of the day getting some much needed food (thank goodness he was sick so he didn't have an appetite, because we didn't have bread OR milk in the house...not to mention all the other stuff!) and a wedding present for the wedding we are attending this weekend-tomorrow actually. I felt horrible leaving him-usually I make it a point to cancel all plans to help him. Good did come out of it though-it was not a constant battle to keep Corynn from talking, stomping, laughing, playing, or coughing too loud and I didn't have to pry her off of him every few minutes!

I am sick in a different way. I am not sure if it is allergies or due to my pregnancy-but once again I have the runny nose, cough, and sneeziness that I was so free from this summer. :-( Not to mention my lack of appetite-all the time. I am either so hungry I am about to pass out (though that has waned in it's frequency) or so NOT hungry-I feel as though I might have to let loose what I already contain. Every night at dinner, the same routine is played out. I cook supper, get the table ready, call Matt and Corynn to the table. Pray. Dish up plates. Take one bite and realize if I take another-it will not be a pretty sight. Then, I sit, watching the rest of my family dive in-while I poke and prod at the food I cannot eat. It is really getting old. And the weird thing is-it doesn't matter what the food is. This week we have eaten French Toast made with homemade cinnamon bread, eggs, and sausage for one meal, BBQ chicken, rice, and carrots for another, goulash with homemade applesauce and yogurt on the side for another, and pizza last night. All but the pizza was doomed after the first bite. I was able to choke down a few noodles in the goulash-but certainly nothing else. It is getting tiring. Tonight the session meeting is being held at our place and so our dinner guests will include the elders and pastor of our church and their wives. I am making a beef roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions along with possibly some garden fresh beets, fresh bread, either salad or peas, and some sort of fruit dish. Then for dessert-warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream on the side. All sounds very well and good in writing-I just hope I can EAT it tonight.

I finally finished switching fall clothes around. While Matt's sections are brimming with warm clothes-I have only a small pile on clothes I can wear from my previous winters. I am not too concerned though. I can just wear some of Matt's things for a while and I did get a few maternity dress clothes at a yard sale. I will have to purchase a pair of pants-or wear cargo pants with high boots (oh-how runway-esque!) I am not yet into maternity clothes-but I don't fit into my normal clothes anymore-so now I am wearing my post-pregnancy 'fat' clothes. Speaking of bellies-and my growing one. According to my calculations, I am only going on 10 weeks this week and I am showing so much-strangers are asking me when I am due. Because of this, I am getting the inkling that one of two things is happening. Either I miscalculated my due date or I am having twins. Twins do run on all sides of the family. My dad's side, my mom's side, my Matt's side. For goodness sakes-Matt is a twin! I scheduled an appt. with the ob/gyn that my sister used for Sept. 29th. I am hoping to get an ultrasound done at that time, to give me SOME information as to why I am showing so early. Until then, we wait.

Last but not least, of course I must talk a LITTLE bit about Corynn. Knock on wood (as if that would do anything!), Corynn is FINALLY showing great improvement in the potty training area. Yesterday I was gone all morning and she stayed dry-and then peed the mother load in the store bathroom. I made such a fuss over her that when we were done, a lady came out and congratulated her on being such a big girl. I find it funny that women know the power of positive reinforcement and will graciously give it whenever it is needed. She has also started asking to go to the potty. I am so pleased! She is not there yet-but now I am finally seeing progress and it has been long awaited. She has also been sleeping in her new toddler bed for almost a whole week. She is such a great transitioner. She never gets out of bed (although I did notice last night that she had acquired a dolly to sleep with-the doll cradle is an arms stretch from the bed.) and is so quiet. I think she sleeps better in this bed too. She would roll and squirm and be all twisted by morning in the crib-but she falls asleep and wakes up in the same position. I have just begun teaching her how to make her bed-she does well at it. I hate it when kids take all the sheets and pull them up. SO messy looking! To me it looks worse than not being made at all. (call me a perfectionist...) So, I am teaching Corynn to pull all the covers back then straighten the bottom one, then the top on on top of that. Still not perfect, but not bad for a two year old!

Now-the inevitably housecleaning must ensue. :-( Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Rebecca
Many women appear much bigger the second time around than they did with the first pregnancy . But if it was because you were having twins that would be so very exciting. But don't be too disappointed if you are not.

When I got pregnant with my Hannah I got huge very quick, I was wearing bigger clothes in the first trimester and I thought for sure I was either having twins or something was not right. Everybody commented that I looked like I was going to pop by the time I got into the early stages of my third trimester. So don't worry too much about being big early. She was also my first girl and so I was also not used to what carrying a girl was like for my body.

Also is your husband an identical twin? Do identical twins run in the family or fraternal twins? Fraternal twins are hereditery but identical twins are not. I have twins on my side of the family. My grandmothers brother was a twin and my sister had twins but I had identical twins so they say that has nothing to do with anything. Weird though that around 40 is when they say your chances of having twins is high. I got pregnant with twins at 40 but it was identical twins and they say that doesn't mean anything but I find it strange that I got pregnant at 40 with twins when they say women are at higher risk of having twins.

I never had my girls tested to see what they are but I may just do that one day out of curiousity. As you can see they look just like each other but as you stated in those books they say fraternal twins can look alike and identical twins may not. That sure doesn't make sense to me but that is what the so called experts say. When I was pregnant they said they thought they were identical because of the sac and also because they were both girls. Someday a test will tell us for sure.

If you are having twins post on it right away I would love to find out. I can coach you along being twins is a whole different type of pregnancy and a whole new way of life after they are born. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope and pray for another set of twins I would just adore for that to happen.

Also as for not being hungry don't worry too much about that either. When I was pregnant with my Leah I was never hungry and I mean never. The doctors said not to worry until the 3rd trimester. By then it was a concern but she was a good 6 pounds and that was at 3 weeks early when she was born but then for some reason she grew very slow for the very first year. Not at all anymore. After that first year we started giving her lots of protein foods and started supplementing food with her nursing and then she took off in growing.

But if you cannot eat try to just drink protein drinks and not the low carb ones. That will compensate for the lack of eating. Like I said don't worry about it too much right now but if you still feel this way by the 3rd trimester just drink protein drinks so you at least nourish the baby. I had absolutely NO appetite and I mean that NONE!!! So I ate nothing, I just couldn't it was weird. So please let me know how that progresses.

I look forward to hearing how your appointment goes. Hang in there and feel better. Your appetite may just come back before you know it.
Blessings
Brenda

Rebecca said...

Brenda-thanks for the encouragement. I am not sure about the twins thing-I mean, I am not getting hopes up or down until I go to the doctor for sure. THough I will say this- Ihave wanted twins ever since I was a little girl-but with the reality of twins comes much different feelings of fear and anxiety. While I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have twins (it would take me a while to replace anxiety with excitement-I might actually be RELIEVED if I don't have them.) But-then again. Twins are like a two for one deal. I would love that too.

My husband is a fraternal-though he looks very much like his brother. I think just for fun-because you asked, I will post a picture to show you he and his brother. I can tell the difference, for sure, as they grow older-they look more different. As children though, they looked very much alike.

Abigail said...

I've started potty-training Annie. She's taking to it quite well, but now that I'm back to cloth diapers, I'm even more eager for her to be potty-trained before the new one arrives! And you can bet I'll hold Corynn up to her as a shining example. Hurrah for you, Corynn! And hurrah to you, Rebecca, for maintaining patience. :)

What are your inseam/outseam measurements? I know your legs are loooong, and I've got a pair or two of pants that are quite long on me. If they measure what your leggy legs do, then I'll send them your way.

Keep pluggin' on past those first trimester sicky woes. I hope, as I'm sure you do, that your stomach will stop misbehaving in a month or two. (I know some women are sick through the whole pregnancy, and I hope that you're not one of them this time around!) Your meals sound lovely, though. I'm at the point where food sounds GOOD, sometimes too good, if you catch my overweighty drift.

I hope, too, that Matt's on the mend, for all of your sakes.

Abigail said...

I forgot to confess to meal-stealing. I've had trouble deciding what to make for meals lately, so on Friday, we had barbequed chicken with oven-roasted potatoes and fresh garden beans, Sunday we had homemade pizza for lunch (with olive oil, garden basil and tomatoes, minced garlic, and mozzerella cheese..mmmm) and grated potato pancakes with homemade applesauce and sour cream on the side for supper. Does some of this sound familiar? Please keep occasionally posting your family's meals; it saves me some of the bother of deciding what to have for dinner!