What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, September 09, 2005

Reviews of all kinds....

For any who don't know-I have changed the setting on comments so you now have to verify a bunch of letters when you comment. It is nothing big-but it will eliminate all the annoying spam comments I have been getting. There is nothing as disappointing in blogdom as thinking you are getting a comment from a friend and it turns out to be an advertisement! SO-there you have it.

Today I am doing last minute preparations for the yard sale at my mom's house-and then we are off to spend the night out there. I hope to make a bit more money this weekend. Would be nice! Though I already had a yard sale this summer (-and made good money at it too!) it is always surprisingly easy to find more things you don't need. I took all my other yard sale leftovers there and have since come up with three more laundry baskets full of stuff plus a karaoke machine.

I have finished two James Harriott books and am starting the third. I really enjoy his books-despite what I consider his great womanizing characteristics. He is a good author though-and while veterinary medicine doesn't captivate everyone-I can't imagine anyone NOT being captivated by his books. I am also going to do a quick run-through of the book Caddie Woodlawn. I got it at a rummage sale the other day and I wanted to read it before I put it in the library. I can't be sure, but it seems to me I really enjoyed that book as a young girl.

Michelle told me a while ago, about a preschool reading program for young'uns called Starfall.com. I have used it quite often and Corynn does really well with the letters. She is SO good at repeating things-she says letters and sounds and words PERFECTLY! She differentiates from sounds and words so well! There is certainly nothing wrong with her hearing, that's for sure. Anyway-it is really great and you should check it out! Starfall Reading Program

Oh-and one more thing. Another great site I have found is for lovers of Jan Brett. She is an author/illustrator of children's books that are just BEAUTIFUL! Her website is chock full of coloring pages, stories, activities, and other free stuff. Very cool. Here is the link for that...Jan Brett's Cool Stuff

I added some pictures of our dinner two nights ago. Matt was a the chef and made homemade waffles with our newly acquired waffle maker. This is the first time I have ever had homemade waffles and I CAN NOT tell you how delicious they were! Especially topped with the Maple Syrup Matt made! It was so del-ish that I had to post pictures. They were picture perfect.

Now I am off to tie up loose ends before our weekend away. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun at your yard sale. I hope you are able to sell all that you want to! I am still waiting for this baby to arrive...sigh... I am trying so hard to not be grumpy but it's hard :(

I also really like Starfall.com and my kids have learned alot from using it too. Have a nice weekend! ~Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca! Make good $$ tomorrow! Sounds like fun... I think Dave wishes he could be there looking for deals rather than nailing on a roof!

I also really like James Harriott. I keep suggesting Tristan as the name for our third baby!

So glad you like Starfall!! Matthew really took off with his phonics after I found that site, that's for sure! Good job Corynn with the sounds! :)

I made pancakes the other night for everyone, but Matt and Scott snubbed my "lite" Log Cabin. Huh. :P Maybe we'll tap our maple trees and make some real stuff!

Have a good weekend!

Rebecca said...

Jen- you are doing a good job about not being grumpy. One good thing for you is knowing that a ton of other people are waiting on pins and needles in excitement for you too! It is kind of neat being this involved in someone elses life...and not ever having met them in real life! :-)

Michelle-I LOVE the name Tristan! You should-you should! That is so neat that you like James Herriott! Wow. I wouldn't have guess that! Do you have any of his books?
About the syrup. Yeah. That sounds like Matt (and Scott) to me. Matt almost didn't marry me when he saw store bought syrup in my mom's cupboard! (An exaggeration of course...but I will never live it down!)

Abigail said...

I enjoyed Herriot's books when I was younger, and if I ever finish all the OTHER books waiting on the shelves, I think I still will.

As for the name Tristan, approval all 'round. I've always loved the name. I've wanted to name a girl Isolde (Iseult) since John and I got married, though, so the name Tristan is out for me (due to the plot of The Tale Itself).

Thanks for pointing us Starfall-ward! I've never done anything on the computer with Millie, but now she requests "my alphabet" on the computer instead of in her books. It's a fun site.

p.s. What's not to love about Caddie Woodlawn? She's a pert, redheaded tomboy... :)