What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, October 05, 2006

A Fresh Start

If you were not bored by the last glut of butterfly photographs, I thought I would share a few more from our last metamorphosis. This time we were able to watch the process from caterpillar to butterfly. We have not yet found the eggs-but give us time! :-)

Unfortunately, as I put together this post, I searched my ENTIRE computer for the caterpillar pictures I had taken, to no avail. I am SO upset because I took pictures not only of the caterpillar but of the caterpillar actually in the PROCESS of 'becoming' the chrysalise. And now they are gone. SO-you get, once again, an INCOMPLETE process in photos. But I think just the shots of the butterfly emerging from the chrysalise are interesting enough. Hopefully, you will enjoy them.

We brought the caterpillar home on September 3rd, it formed its chrysalise two days later and the butterfly emerged on the 26th.

Books related to this miraculous event are not sparse. No wonder. It is truly an amazing thing and something that, though a witness to the entire process, I am STILL not sure how to explain! Here are a few that I found at the local library pertaining to the life mission of a caterpillar. Some are more extensive than others. All were interesting.

The Travels of Monarch X By Ross E. Hutchins: This is a more extensive book, telling the story of a monarch tagged by a scientist. This monarch was the monarch that told the 'story' of its migratory pattern. Interesting for Corynn and myself.
Butterflies by Dorothy Childs Hogner: This is more extensive. I sort of skimmed through it.
Waiting for Wings By Lois Ehlert: This is a colorful and vibrant book-very simply written. Short and sweet-but captivating. In the back it has a small butterfly and flower index.
Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom De Luise: This is more of a children's book, a story, but it served to reinforce in a fun way what she was learning.

(Related butterfly photos in October archives and other monarch photos -of chrysalise stage in particular-in September archives.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We want to find a caterpillar that will turn into a butterfly. We are now watching a wooly worm who spun a cocoon and will turn into a moth soon. The kids are dying to watch a caterpillar spin a crysallis though. We have studied or at least read about butterflies/moths for the last two or three years and they never ever get tired of learning about it. Every year I add a little more "in depth" stuff for them. Loved the pictures. ~Jen

Michelle said...

Is it too late to find the caterpillars on the milkweed? My boys would love this, but I have been so sidetracked before now to go out and search for one!

Wendy said...

I love all of the butterfly photos! Esther had about 7 caterpillars in her class, I managed to see one of them emerge...it was very cool. I think next year I will dig up some milkweed and plant it in the back yard...at least I will have some food for the caterpillar even if I have to go searching for one somewhere else. Earlier this year we found a caterpillar on the milkweed and I wasn't quite sure what it was...after some study we found out it was a milkweed tussock...they do not make a chrysalis, but a cocoon and turn into something like a tiger moth...unfortunately it met its demise. Next year though. If you want to get the eggs you might need to start a little earlier in the season...you might even find quite a few eggs on the same stalk!

Anonymous said...

Hello Rebecca, thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog as well. It truly is nice finding people with similar interests as yourself. It's such great fun. What a great idea watching a catipillar transform into a butterfly and such a great learning experience for your daughter. Stop by my place again soon. I'll be sure to do the same here. Take care.

Kelli said...

I really enjoyed all the beautiful photos of the butterfly. Just amazing! You are a very talented photographer!
Kelli

Rebecca said...

Jen~You just have to get a caterpillar next year. It actually doesn't 'spin' a chrysalise but rather turns INTO one. The skin pops off and this green gooey stuff eventually turns hard. again-I can't describe it but it is WEIRD!

Michelle~I think it is too late now because Monarch actually migrate south for the winter. Usually to California or Mexico. There will always be more next year though! :-)

Wendy~That is a great idea! I never thought of doing that! Also-Milkweed pods are very fun to pop open, so they would be a welcome addition in more ways than one!

Salina~I will for sure!

Kelli~ Thank you so much. You using the 'p' word made me giddy. I WISH! :-)