What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Happy Happy


When I was a child, I just LOVED Halloween.I admit it! Haunted Houses and dressing up trilled me!. Candy and spooks made my day! There was just something about all that suspense and thrill of not knowing what spooky thing might pop out at you.

Now that I am a parent, ghosts and ghouls are the farthest thing from my mind. Of course, when I was a kid-the 'scary stuff' was MUCH less scary. Ghosts made from sheets or masks of Hobo's or painting your face with white bones. Really-how scary is that?!?! Now, to peruse the costume aisle at a local store would bring shrieks of terror out of my children. And ME.

Another change of Halloween is that now, more and more teenagers and adults are going trick or treating. That is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Trick or treating USED to be for LITTLE kids who would be content with one piece of candy. Now-kids carry pillowcases! Such greed!

So-I am NOT into the whole Halloween-trick or treating scene. BUT...I STILL love to dress up! In NICE costumes-evil things not allowed. So, I usually have the kids dress up and we do SOMETHING fun. Most often it has been meeting with my sister and my niece and nephews and going bowling or visiting a discovery center (in costume of course).

Now, though, we have moved away from all that fun so I thought we would just stay at home tonight. Maybe watch a movie and eat something with the theme of Halloween. But it turns out, I might be going with the Pastor's wife and her children to a children's Halloween festival. That sounds just up our alley. And of course, Corynn can be seen in PUBLIC in her princess dress. Just another perk. Whatever happens, the children and I are wearing orange and we will use this day as an extra-special reason to eat candy and have fun.

Anyway-Christians have all sorts of opinions on Halloween-representing both ends of the spectrum and all that is in between. HOWEVER you feel, I hope you have a great day and enjoy your family! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I hope you have a wonderful day with your family! Your plans sound like lots of fun!
Kelli

Mandie said...

Hear hear! Well said Rebecca! Like you Newmans, we Giedds look for anyreaon to dress up. L:ooks like we're going to a local church's harvest party thingy tonight, too. Happy Reformation Day!