What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Coming Home Outfit



Well, I didn't finish the quilt I had started for Bunkin before we moved, nor did I spend lots of pre-baby days making all manner of Bunkin gear (as I had hoped) but I DID manage to get SOMETHING handmade completed for him/her.

A coming home outfit.

It can be difficult not knowing what gender baby you are going to bring home, especially for the likes of me: who tends toward gender-specific styles and colors. I am just not a yellow or green kind of person. If I have a girl, I want people to know it! If I have a boy, it REALLY stinks when people compliment you on your "precious baby girl".

Nor am I the type to buy something pink AND something blue.

I got it stuck in my thick head a Kimono outfit would be perfect. White. Then, I could dress it up with either a girlie bonnet or NOT dress it up. But let me tell you: white Kimono outfits are practically non-existent in stores these days.



So I went to my craft room, retrieved a yard sale purchased vintage sheet, a bit of leftover bias tape and some multi-colored yarn and set to work. I ironed, pinned and cut the patterns. That takes the longest amount of time (for me) so when I was done in record speed, I got a bit giddy thinking I would be done the whole outfit that very night. That is, until I realized my machine isn't working properly. Once I realized THAT, I cried. No-really, I did. I threw a little baby temper tantrum. I don't know if it was the move or what, but my lovely lady needs to visit a repair shop before we can get together again.

Then, I cried some more. Because JUST when I thought I could actually ACCOMPLISH something handmade for Bunkin, ANOTHER glitch had set me back. I toyed with the notion of handsewing. Even did a bit. Then I stole Corynn's machine from her. She thought it was pretty neat that I needed to use something of hers. That is, until she realized she wanted to use it herself.

Now, those little Hello Kitty Janome's are super cute, and do a phenomenal straight stitch...but I have been spoiled with the luxury of a top-notch gifted sewing machine. So now, I am a bit of a sewing machine snob. I got frustrated with Hello Kitty a number of times and then switched to handsewing, then got impatient and pleaded for forgiveness (and more straight stitching). Again, schizophrenic.



Three days later, I finally finished the thing-but I am proud of it and am happy with the result. It is quality work, even more so considering the rendezvous surrounding its creation . The shirt and pants are fully lined and have that wonderful softness of a worn sheet. It isn't too boy and it isn't too girl, and it was certainly made with love.

I am currently working on crocheting some wool booties (in a coordinated yarn) and will try my hand at felting (never have done that before!). We'll see if I can get them done...and if they will actually LOOK nice, AND if they would actually fit. (I am not following a felting pattern, so I am guessing at hook, yarn, and bootie size. It will be interesting!

Now, I just can't wait to see the little person coming home INSIDE of it!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Nanci said...

Rebecca,
This little kimono set will be just a perfect. I also love your brothers vinyl scripture -- that's perfect, too. I love that the very same bed linens that cuddled his mama will cuddle Bunkin' too. Add to that the fact that Bunkin's grandmama stitched them with love for her very own wee ones and there's not much more that a new family member could ask for

Love and prayers,

Nanci and clan