What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Catch-up and Catsup

I thought I would hop on here and ‘chat’ for a minute to the world within my computer screen. I have things to do-but I want to sit for a minute. OKAY?!?! Is that a PROBLEM!?!?!

Woah-where did THAT come from?!?! :-)

Okay-definitely not as funny in written form….
~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday was my pickling day-I had great plans to do ALL the rest of my pre-apple canning yesterday but the pickles alone took all of naptime plus some. I made mustard pickles, garlic dill spears, bread and butters and zucchini relish. I also have some watermelon pickles BREWING-but that is a five day process! Argh!

Today is my tomato day-salsa, chili sauce, taco sauce, and probably hot peppers of some sort. Not sure. Lots to do. I am not really relishing the idea too much though. It seems every post canning-day my lower back KILLS me and I couldn’t figure out why. Well, mystery solved: I have to arch my back because of the hood over the stove. And arching your back for hours isn’t all that comfy cozy. Here’s to another day of back pain! 

I will say though…there is nothing like seeing the fruits of your labor lined up on the counters. And even better is the feeling you get when your husband’s eyes bug out of his head while exclaiming “You did ALL those since I left from lunch!?!?!” There is no prouder moment in the canner’s life.

I have long since grown out of my teeny tiny cupboard spot for home-canned goods and so all my newest jars are lined up on my counter for me too admire. Matt said he will build me a shelving unit to store them on, so I am excited about that. I can’t wait to see them ALL nicely lined up. There is nothing in the kitchen more beautiful that jars lined up.

With all this canning though-I decided to skip the fair entries. We will be GOING there and I will scope out what is what for next year-when HOPEFULLY, I will be more prepared. It was just one thing I DIDN’T need to worry about that right now!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Tonight a lady from church is coming over. Wednesday nights are now crochet nights and I will hopefully learn how to do it well enough to make THINGS instead of just strips of stitches. I am very excited to have someone that is willing to teach me. VERY excited, indeed.

Now it is off to do some back-breaking work. Pleasant days to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on all the canning! And have fun with your crochet to. :-) It goes fast once you get the hang of it. I'm working on a shawl right now and have to start a baby set for a friend. I just relized she's due soon!!!

Abigail said...

Nutty girl, the solution to all your troubles is to just not can anything.

Don't you realize it's just as satisfying to walk into the grocery store run by a giant, faceless corporation and pull aluminum-canned salsa and peaches off of their shelves? Plus, they'd look just as nice arranged on the shelf Matt plans to build.

(Totally and completely kidding, of course. Before I even read this post, I've been craving some shelves on which to display my beautiful wares.)

Recipes for some of these luscious-sounding things will follow someday???

Rebecca said...

Thanks Kim! I can't wait until I am at the point in crochet that I can MAKE something useful!

Abby- Let me know what sounds good and I will post them now. Otherwise, I will probably wait to post them until I know for sure they are YUMMY. (Many of these are first-timers...so I can't vouch for them!) I would hate to post something GROSS-although, how can something be GROSS with THAT much sugar?!?!?! :-)