What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, September 22, 2006



The Last of the Season's harvest...

Yesterday the children and I (by that I mean "I" while the children made each other giggle...) cleared out the garden. I felt no sadness as I plucked the last of the goodness from the vines...a bit of resentment though. An ENTIRE laundry basket of GREEN tomatoes...if only they had ripened sooner! Anyone have an good green tomato canning recipes? Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to have a look for some recipes. But I know if you layer then in boxes with newspaper they will slowly ripen. I just picked all mine yesterday to!

Michelle said...

Tomatillo Salsa

5.5 c. chopped, cored, husked tomatillos (about 2lbs.)

1 c. chopped onion

1 c. chopped green chilies

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbsp. minced cilantro

2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. red pepper

1 c. vinegar, 5% acidity

1/4 c. lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 mins. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar, screw band down evenly and firmly until fingertip tight. Process 15mins. in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 4 half-pints.

** I made this with my bounty of green tomatoes instead of the tomatillos and it came out great! Enjoy. :D

Wendy said...

If you put them in brown grocery bags they will turn red :)

betsy said...

If you put the green tomatoes on a sunny windowsill they should ripen. :)

Rebecca said...

Hmmmmmmmm...that is good to know about ripening...we might get to use some on salads after all!

Thank you for the Salsa recipe Michelle! I am REALLY excited about it-because I haven't made THAT much salsa but can't been able to get my hands on anymore canning tomatos! Now I can get some more salsa stocked up (we go through it here like MAD!!) while using up what I have! Perfect! Thanks so much!

My only question for you would be-did you chop up the tomatos or use them whole or halved...or what? Thanks!

Michelle said...

Rebecca,

I chopped up my green tomatoes in a food processor, so they were in little bits. It seemed more "salsa-y" to me. :) Enjoy! I bet Matt will love it, too.

Abigail said...

Even though it means no more fresh food any time of the day or night, doesn't it feel kind of good to bring in those last basketfuls? I thought I was done, too, until my mom started dumping boxes of tomatoes on us. I am very glad of this because the black walnut tree in the yard killed most of our tomato plants off long before their time, but, still, it will be nice to sit back in a week or two without feeling guilty for not tending to those boxes.