What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, November 24, 2006

Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie

Can you guess what I had for breakfast this morning? Well, let's see. Apple crisp and a slice of pumpkin pie-with whipped cream. But really...it is like eating oatmeal, pumpkin bread, and milk. Right? ;-) Suuuuuuuure, it is.....

I just finished posting some recipes from yesterday of the few things I got pictures of. (Coincidentally, the things I had made the night before...) I hope you enjoy-perhaps for Thanksgiving next year or even this Christmas. Who knows. I knew though, that if I did not post them I wouldn't remember them next time I wanted to duplicate them.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday was a slam dunk success. I wouldn't have changed anything. But I do have to share this funny store now lest I forget. If it is written down in this here electronic journal, I will always remember...

The night before Thanksgiving I asked Matt to take the 'gross stuff' out of the turkey. (I know. I am not much of a country girl.) Anyway-he did but all he found was this funky long thing (I assume the neck.) He said "That's it. That's all that is in here!" But no-I insisted there was supposed to be a heart and liver as well. He then proceeds to tell me "Oh Sugarbear. This is a high grade turkey-don't you know that they take the gross stuff OUT of high grade turkeys to that people don't have to deal with it. But they include this *holding the yucky thing* just in case people like to use it for gravy or stuffing. It's true!!!" So, into the oven bag the turkey went and then into the fridge until I plopped it into the oven.

Yes-gullible me believed him-until our picture perfect turkey came out of the oven (and the oven bag) and I spied a white BAG at the end! Would you believe he can B.S. THAT well? He can. It doesn't help that I am so gullible either. Needless to say, he always keeps me guessing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related to the above subject only by reference to Matt...

Tell me, dear readers. Is BROACH a word? Not the brooch as in a piece of jewelry but broach as in "You should BROACH the subject to so and so if you are so concerned about it." Of course it is a word. Does ANYONE out there use it anymore? I do, of course. For a long time I had to convince Matt is WAS a word, which I did-of course. Eventually (and reluctantly) he accepted that fact but now, he seems to think I am the ONLY one in the world to use it and he pokes fun at me every time I do. Tell me, am I TRULY alone in this world? Surely it cannot be! Well, I just thought I would broach the subject....

7 comments:

Els said...

Love your storie!
Tell Matt that even this Dutch girl has heard of the word broach, though it's not part of my everyday vocabulary (which basically means that I don't use it, but know what it means when I hear/read it).
And now back to the boxes!!
All the best!

Full of Grace said...

Next time you talk to mom, ask her about the "gross long thing" we had in our turkey :)

I'm glad your Thanksgiving was a huge success, but I will say that I missed you (and the rest of the family) this year!!!

Wendy said...

Of course broach is a word!! I don't use it often, but I have. Cory and I often argue about word/phrase usage...I say "gilding the lily" he says I make it up...I always say "red up the house"...he says get your stuff around...and last but not least...it is pop not soda...(soda is an adjective describing what pop is :) Of course I have a lot of "picksburgh" things I say too I guess.

Kelli said...

Your mean you aren't supposed to eat pumpin and apple pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving? ;0)

Broach is definitely a word. Phillip and I get into similiar discussions (ok arguments! LOL). I usually end up telling him it must be Canadian. Since I'm from Canada it works well! LOL

Kelli

Abigail said...

Here's another point for you. Broach is a solidly respectable word. Use it well and use it often, no matter what Matt says.

dot said...

Funny story! I wonder how many of those little packages get baked into turkeys every year!

Carmichael Family said...

That's a funny story about the turkey! Hmm...broach...I guess I've heard the word, but I don't think I use it too much (but my input isn't worth much since I'm not a native English speaker). Your recipes look so yummy! I think I may try some for Christmas! Happy belated Thanksgiving!