What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Preparations


Today has been BUUUUUSSSSSYYYY!!!! But now, at 12:08am, as I await the apple crisp to finish its crisping, I will boast my NEARLY ready confidence. Oat rolls have been made, cranberry sauces, potatoes peeled and diced, bread cubes have been dried for the stuffing...and of course, the apple crisp. Not to mention all the cleaning (boy was this place a DUMP!) I still have a bunch to do tomorrow, but I at least got a head start today-including setting the table.

First I opened up our table that we bought before we got married (anticipating our HUGE, MASSIVE, ENORMOUS, GIGUNDO future family...) then got out the only tablecloth that will cover the table when opened up. The one that my Oma and Opa gave us as a wedding present. But alas, it was a web full of wrinkles! So, I got out the starch and iron and set to work. But then, I might as well do the napkins as well....

Then, since the tablecloth and napkins were freshly starched and ironed, I might as well use my monogrammed glasses from Christmas! They were actually Matt's parents' before ours and so more fond memories are placed on the table. Of course, I had no idea where the different glasses went so I had to look it up. And if I had to look THAT up, I should probably look up silverware placement.

And as long as I went to all that trouble, practicality and elegance calls for placecards. And if placecards, surely there must be a centerpiece.

Do you see how my life is? It sure can get tiring being me....

But the end result is a table not only beautiful, but wrapped up in love and fond memories.

(By the way, I 'looked' up all this information in my book 'Making a Home' by Better Homes and Gardens. Another good homemaking resource is 'Home Comforts'.
Remember my affinity towards glasses? Well...as you can see...I went ALL out! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Your table is just beautiful!!
Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

It looks just beautiful. I like that book. It would make a great gift. I hope you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving. If anyone is there that I know, please tell them hello!

Lisa said...

hehe I love the way that works. Your table looks so beautiful.

Abigail said...

Lovely.

Well done!