What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, October 13, 2008

a days work


a days work, originally uploaded by sgrbear724.

Wednesday night I stayed up until 2 AM working in the kitchen. Well, actually it was 10:45....but it FELT like it was 2 AM since my feet, back, and eyelids were ready to hit the sack by 8:30. (I've become such a wuss...)

I had a 1/2 bushel of apples to take care of before a LONG WEEKEND AWAY! (HURRAY!); these apples were "Deer Apples" which mean they have spots, scrapes and imperfections from falling from the tree, and so you KNOW after a week they would be drawing the fruit flies like mad! I certainly didn't want THAT, so I needed to take care of them. Pronto. Not to mention: I had quite a list of baking I wanted to do for gifts as we were being hosted on our weekend away.

I was determined to get some canning done this year, even if it killed me...and when I determine something, well. That's just that.

That night, over a dozen jars sealed in apples swimming in cinnamon syrup. About 8 jars of Pumpkin Butter perfumed the house and lulled my senses to sleep that night. Then, slices of apple were dried overnight and bagged for "someday".

The next day I sliced and stirred and mixed my way to the two loaves of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin bread and two pans of Apple Crisp that intoxicated me and had my nose coveting like all get-out.

And THEN, when I was sure I would break with all the goodness that I COULDN'T eat, I made almost 100 caramel popcorn balls for an Octoberfest we were attending.

I was in a drunken stupor of cinnamon. The house smelled perfectly of Fall spices. My day was very productive. Very sweet. Very spice-y, and very VERY hard not to eat it all.

It felt really good to can, really good to bake, and REALLY good to get some food stashes around. Don't think I am through, either, because on our weekend trip, I went to last years' apple place and got three more bushels of deer apples at $5.00 a bushel. A dollar increase in price, but well worth it-if nothing else, to provide us with applesauce and apple butter for the coming year-and allow us to actually EAT the treats I make! ;-)

PS. As you can probably guess, Kitchen Riches will be a hopping place sometime later this week!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I am so impressed with you! Our babies are due close to the same time, and I could never be on my feet for that long right now!!! Awesome!

It's all I can do to make up an extra pan of dinner once or twice a week to freeze for later. . . .

Terri said...

What a productive day you had. I have an apple tree in my yard full of deer apples which I turned into apple butter and apple sauce. I'm still working on peeling, slicing and freezing a bushel of regular apples.

Good job!
Terri

Bonnie said...

Mmm. My apple day was yesterday, and I wish the deer apple they sell over here were as good as yours! $7 a bushel, and they are wormy and VERY banged up. (deer aren't overly particular I guess).
I did buy a bushel of seconds, and got 16 quarts of applesauce, and was about 3/4 cup shy of 17. Don't you hate when that happens?
I've got some pears to do today, if they are saveable. I kinda forgot about them.
Do post the recipes, I want to try the pumpkin butter!
Glad you were able to get some canning in!

Andie said...

MMMMMM!!! YUMMY!!! Can I come over for a treat??? I made two apple crisps a few weeks ago, but have never ventred into canning. Sounds delicious! I'll have to try your chocolate chip pumpkin bread sometime, we love regular pumpkin bread and EVERYTHING is better with chocolate!
So glad you had a great trip!
Blessings-Andie