What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Heralds of Spring















You can put the girl in the princess dress, but you can't put the princess manners in the girl.






I am not sure anything could herald in the spring time more beautifully than the bright yellow trumpets of daffodils.  Bright, sunny, cheerful yellow is the perfect color to first set your eyes upon after the gray and colorless months of winter.

It's been a bit of a tizzy around here lately.  I cleaned off the porch and readied it for the many months of porch sitting ahead.  (I can't wait!)  We ate our first porch supper on April 10th and I marked the occasion with a photo.

I saw baby plants fighting their way through the debri of their deceased ancestors in the flower circle and spent time before Easter (when I should have been cleaning for the company to come) clearing out the old to make way for the young'uns.   But I couldn't help it!  I couldn't pull myself inside on such a glorious day, trading the glorious task of baby flower admiring for cleaning a house.  You wouldn't have, either.  It felt invigorating to get my hands dirty and more so, to see new life popping up here and there, promises of the future.

Then there was the winter/summer clothing shuffle, which is always a monumentous task...and the sorting through bins to downsize since I am already out there- and the cleaning of the Granary that somehow once again became a dumping ground through the winter.

Then of course, Easter!  Prep work, cooking, cleaning, dying hardboiled eggs florescent colors, welcoming, refilling, hiding eggs and finding and then the cleanup afterwards.  Hosting an event is always so busy and so I took no Easter pictures of all the children together.  No homemade clothes this year- just hand me downs or secondhand clothes.   The closest thing that came to it was me adding a bit of a higher neckline to Corynn's dress and using a crocheted tiara for Ineke that I had made a month or so ago.  I can tell you though, they all looked spiffy.  They shine up nicely.

We've had several occasions of fancy clothes that would have been wonderful opportunities to take some family pictures- including a prom! this winter (hence the tiara) and I am just too busy right up until the very minute (and all throughout) to take nice pictures.  A quick snap is all I get IF I am lucky.  It's a regret...but I guess not a big enough one to warrant change.

I sent a box of cheer with a bunny on the package and the children started making bunny after bunny after bunny and lining the whole house with them.  Bunnies...EVERYWHERE! And at the very moment that box of cheer was mailed. a box of cheer was serendipitously sent my way too- brown paper packages crossing in the air to send hugs from kindred friends.

Among all of these things, puppies are growing and people are claiming them.  (You should see how big they are now!  I must post pictures soon!)  A chicken has a new little hatchling.

Now that the clothing exchange is done and the house has been put back into some semblance of order, I feel able to breathe a bit easier.

Hope your Easter was lovely!

2 comments:

Amy Marie said...

Rebecca, so cheerful and lovely. Your flower circle is SO beautiful. I have wee garden in the works from Amos as part of my Mother's Day gift. I can't wait to share more as it unfolds. I just ADORE your porch...a huge extension of your home for three seasons!!! :D Keep posting photos of it! We have a small deck without a roof and I even like that little bit that I've been given. I have some beautifying plans for it and you inspired me. Sadly, my twinkle lights just gave out. Boo. Annie has be LOVING writing to Corynn, FYI. :)

Abigail said...

Beautiful. Always. All of it and everyone.

I think Adelé plays the royal role admirably. I told her after church that she looked just like a princess, and the demure grin she flashed was pitch perfect! Glad you had a full and happy Easter. I love those pictures of your Dad and Ineke. I have a few of my dad walking with a wee Susannah like that, and they are precious to us both now.