What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, April 27, 2007

For the sake of the future me...

Yesterday was the start of my cleaning frenzy and after working on my own kitchen, I noticed Little Miss Corynn's kitchen was in a bit of disrepair.

<
This is her little kitchen 'Hoosier Cabinet'. I got it at a yard sale for $3.00 last year-it was terrible with markers and pen writing everywhere and horribly ripped (and UGLY!) contact paper all over it. I cleaned it up a bit and was going to paint it but I sort of like the darkwood! hehehe I save empty spice bottles, small grocery containers-ANTYHING pint sized, to add to her cupboards. She now can play grocery store OR kitchen very easily!>


It was naptime and so I decided I would just do it. When I got there-I couldn't believe what I saw! That little stinkpot was swiping MY kitchen supplies and apparently, using them as her own! She had quite a collection stashed in there-my kitchen scrub brush, an ice cube tray, an oven mitt, even a FULL bottle of spices! I can only laugh to think of how many times she has followed behind me picking up things I have put down!


Even a stash of dishtowels, wadded in the corner!



I especially liked the soup she had been making!


How's THAT for a show and tell?!?! hehehe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


So many times I vaguely recall something cute that happened-but since I had never written the details down...they escaped my memory. Lots of Corynn's toddlerhood has been lost and probably Panda's babyhood too. The above incident will be filed in my memory under 'Fun to Recall'. Here are a few more memory worthy tidbits.

(Pretails: At our house, you must ask to be excused from the table after every meal.) Yesterday, Corynn asked to paint so we got all the supplies out I let her have at it at the table. Six pictures and forty minutes later, she asked "Mama, may I be excused?"

Yes, Corynn. You can be excused from COLORING! HAHAHA

***
(Pretails: Corynn has a very large vocabulary and has a rather grown-up demeanor about her, so on the very rare occasion that a word has more a baby pronunciation, my ears happily lap them up. Lest I forget, here is a double dose)

When we pack lunches for the store and she runs to get her backpack exclaiming "I've got my packpack!!", I always have to smile.

The other day though, was a REAL winner and made me chuckle aloud. She lined up smarties into a weavy form and called it a callapitter.

About a month ago, the weather was sunny and warm-a good change from the rain we had been having. We were riding in the car when I heard her say to Andrew, "Isn't today just SO gorgyfull?" She mixed together gorgeous and beautiful. That happened ONCE and she has since mastered both words. Although-I kinda liked gorgyfull.

***

Here is a proud Panda moment, so as not to leave him out.

Yesterday we were in the basement and he began crawling away from me. Every few 'steps' he would turn around, heartily wave and say "BAH!" I thought-WOW-he said BYE! That is great! That little bit would have made me quite happy. But then...

He reached the end of the room, turned around, and began crawling towards me. Every few 'steps' he stopped, waved, and said "HA!" Double wow. He knows the difference between HI and BYE! Good job Panda dear!

***
And since I am on a roll...here is a moment that I mustn't ever forget or take for granted. My biggest darling deserves a spot in my internet memory as well. It involves dishwasher powder.

I always buy the biggest containers of everything because they are most often the least expensive. I got so sick of hauling a huge box of dishwasher powder from under the sink (a place where recyclables overwhelm) every time I ran a load. I started keeping the box on the counter, but hated that because it was an eye-sore and made the kitchen appear haphazard and unkempt. So, I went to Target and got this nice big glass jar for $4.99 and filled it. Then I put a nice metal scoop in there-and VOILA. Problem solved. Here is where Mattie comes in.

He comes home from work, gets a drink from the kitchen and says. "HEY! What's THIS?" He inspects it and then turns to me and says "What a GREAT idea, Sugarbear. It's practical and elegant!"

I thanked him and then he took a shower. Then I thought. Wait a minute. What GUY would notice a small change like that, let alone five minutes after getting home? That alone was neat. The fact that he complimented me was over the top. He was enthusastic and encouraging to me, even in my small endeavors to make our home more lovely and efficient. Made me think...

I have got one SPECIAL guy!

19 comments:

Tracy said...

This is so neat! I love that you are training her to be a mommy by supplying her with her own "tools".

And yes, your husband is a keeper!

LBP said...

What a great buy on that darling little hutch. I would like to have one of those myself! Still chuckling over your "kidisms".

Linda

Marci said...

I would say you got the deal of the century on your little cabinet. It is darling. They do watch us and mimic us. Man, that is so hard... We have to be SO CAREFUL!!!! =)

Lori said...

I came onto your blog off of Kelli's show and tell.

I love your show and tell.
That cabinet is so cool. I wish I had something like that for all my kids pretend/play groceries.

I really like your blog. I hope you don't mind my stopping by. I will be back to visit your site again.
Feel free to visit my site.
www.blogginwithlori.blogspot.com
I also did the show and tell.

Anonymous said...

I love your cabinet!

LadySnow said...

Oh wow! I love that cabinet!

Kelli said...

Rebecca, I just LOVE Miss Corynn's kitchen. Trade you for the dollhouse. ;0) I had to laugh at her stocking it up with your kitchen items..she did a great job!!! The soup looks tasty! LOL

Kelli

La Tea Dah said...

Oh, a little girls dream! What a lucky dear daughter you have. . .

Trella said...

Oh! That is a wonderful find. That is every little girls dream toy.

Anonymous said...

That little cabinet is just so cute! And how funny that she's stocking her kitchen from yours. :) It's neat that so early she's training to be a homemaker.

I think gorgyfull is my new favorite word. :)

And that was sweet of your husband to notice your solution and compliment you on it! He's a keeper. :-)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that little cabinet! You definitely got a great buy on that one...and I know your little one is learning a lot by imitating her smart Mama! I've always agreed with the saying that more is 'caught' than 'taught'!
And I agree...you do have a special guy! That was sweet!
Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Amy

Susan said...

What an adorable cabinet.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

The little Hoosier cabinet is adorable. I remember when you got it last summer and was recently wondering if you did anything with it. (You must have read my mind). Anyway, it looks really nice with the wood unpainted. I found a child size hutch by the road last fall, but haven't done anything with it yet. You've inspired me to get moving now.

~~Anne
www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures

Jamie said...

Hello, I found your blog throug Lori and thought I would check it out.

I love that kitchen for your daughter!!

Take care and have a great weekend!!

Abigail said...

That's the best child's kitchen I've ever seen, bar none. Just this morning, I washed up some old spice jars after seeing this picture, kicking myself that I'd never thought of it before and glad that you posted the pictures to give me the idea.

And I love the glass jar, too; I'm always on the lookout for those at yard sales, but I guess most people like to keep them! It lends a beauty to the ordinary, and I love the look of it.

Paula said...

WHAT A FIND in that cabinet. AND WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!

Actually one of the reasons I scrapbook is to capture all those moments. And I did make one of my guys (before I did the Mother Hen one). :) You must have missed that when you were visiting family. :) It is on my blog, but you can see it bigger
here.

Also, Since you have posted so many pictures, I cannot remember where I posted comments to you I never know where to look to see if you commented back on my comment or not. LOL!!! Do you remember where or if you did? And if so, can you comment on my blog and tell me where! LOL!!! :)

smilnsigh said...

I love all your 'Memories for the Future.'

But especially the one, concerning how Mattie noticed your idea for the dishwashing powder. You have a "keeper" there in him, my Dear. And you know it. No one needs to remind you.

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci

Carmichael Family said...

I love Corynn's cabinet...so cute, and apparently she wants to be JUST LIKE Mommy and have all the REAL stuff...lol. Your kid story are so cute. I especially like the "gorgyfull" day. And you do have one special guy...I'm not sure my husband would even know what it was if I switched containers for something like that!

Rebecca said...

Thanks everyone, for you comments on our little cabinet. I like it as much as Corynn.

Lori~I hope you DO stop by again!

Amy~I loved that saying you shared! I am putting that one down in my memory!

Anne~I hope you share before and afters! I would LOVE to see 'em! wow-on the side of the road, you say? Now THAT is a deal of a lifetime! :-)

Abby~I think the jars are a hot commodity...I have never seen them at sales. Yet anyhow. Every 'new' idea gets old after a while. ;-)

Catherine~Gorgyfull is as good as it gets these days. No huge theological concepts buzzing around my kiddos heads just yet. I long for that day though. At least until one of their questions stump me! :-)