What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, September 23, 2005


To celebrate the first day of Autumn, Corynn and I made fall leaf and acorn shaped sugar cookies and decorated them. The recipe made SO MANY COOKIES..wow. I was wondering though...I have a hard time with icing. Does anyone have a good icing recipe that is opaque, allows you to make designs and isn't too runny? I use confectionary sugar and milk-it is ALWAYS too runny and winds up looking like a glaze more than icing....  Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Abigail said...

The frosting I use for sugar cookies is just a standard vanilla butter frosting, which holds color well and is quite stable.

You probably already have a recipe for this, but you simply beat 1/3 cup butter until fluffy, add 2 cups powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Then slowly beat in 1/4 milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat in an additional 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and then beat in a bit more milk, only if needed, to reach your desired spreading consistency.

Brenda said...

Rebecca
I love this table. How many people does it sit and where do you have it? If it is in your kitchen your kitchen must be huge. The picture may be deceiving but to have that many trays in a row on it it cannot be too deceiving. I want a table like this I keep looking for used ones. I would never buy one new they want way too much money! The cookies look great too!
Blessings
Brenda

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebecca said...

Abby-thank you very much. Like I said before, I just mix confectioner's sugar and milk to the 'right consistency' (which, by the way, is NEVER right!). I think the butter must be what thickens it up? I will have to make more sugar cookies to try this icing out.

Brenda-Thank you! I love my table too. It is one of the two things we bought 'new' when we first got married-the other being our bed. I worked at a craft/furniture store before we were married and the owner said I could purchase it at 'warehouse cost'. The table turned out to be $600.00 and all six chairs equalled $200.00-making the total price $800.00 We sold the tables alone at $1200.00! It has two self-storage leaves. At it's smallest it can sit 6-8, with it's leaves, it can sit nearly 14. We wanted to have a huge table for all the kids we anticipated in having...only two so far.... :-) we have a small dining room-where the table is. It is so small-the table can't open up to it's fullest-it is too big for the room. My suggestion would be to try newspapers or antique shops/flea markets. Buying a new table is SO expensive-they mark furniture up SO much! Check the papers too. Oh-and AUCTIONS. Have you ever been? My husband just worked at one this weekend and got us a dresser for $5.00. I bought I nice sewing desk last year (full of supplies!) for $3.00. You may find something GREAT there too!