What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Poor Birdies

I have been sitting on so many photographs (and bits of life) that I have wanted to post for posterity and I have been wanting to do them all one at a time, because really, who wants to be snowplowed with never-ending blogposts about nothing? (and of course, one at a time blogposts might mean more interaction, i.e. comments. Yes. I am that lame.)

BUT. ON THE OTHER HAND.

If I do them all at once, just MAYBE I can someday get caught up.

So this is me. Snowplowing.

Or, in other words, killing (many) birds with one proverbial stone. ---Hope you brought your shovels. ---

Birdie #1:


I saw this outfit on the clearance rack at Target and completely splurged. Judah doesn't need another outfit~ but it is so perfect for my Judah because all people ever say about him is exclamations of how HUGE he is. (Yes, he is.) But adorably so. Just like that adorable elephant. I couldn't resist.


Birdie #2: Last week (or was it two weeks ago?) there was a blissful day of 54 degree weather. ((It is very cold and snowy. Again.)) I gave old muckboots to the next child on down the line and she has been wearing them ever since. This is both good and bad. She can get her shoes on by herself. (good) She can go outside without my help/permission/knowing. (bad. very, VERY bad.)


She is incredibly cute though. So I forgive her.

Especially when she puts her hands behind her back as she walks along, as she frequently does. Who wouldn't??!?!?


Birdie #3: Clean bedrooms are like unto rare good hair days, and just as worthy of photo documentation. I usually clean out excess garbage and sort through toys right before Christmas to "make room" but, well, I didn't quite get to it until mid-February. Someday I would love to actually DECORATE their room but for now, I will be content at least with clean.


I am happy to report, we are on day #8 of the room STAYING this clean. (Wonder of wonders!) I think the children rather like it when it is clean and want to keep it that way. (or maybe it was the death threats...)

Birdie #4: To the ladies who said on a previous post having many dolls was actually raising up daughters to have large families? Thank you. I comfort myself with this fact daily.


Birdie #5 : When your husband is out of town and you are feeling blue, take my advice. Go to dinner with your sister at the hotel where her husband is chef and your blues will melt away. Your pounds, however, will actually multiply exponentially. (Thanks Bob, for a deeeeeelicious meal.) I am now craving zucchini and wondering how I ever grew tired of it this past summer.


Birdie #6: This teeny tiny hat.....

...magically turned into this just-right hat.


Thank you Nanci. You SHOULDN'T have!

Birdie # 7:Speaking of decorating: I added a few teeny little things to the school room to make it more lovely and less...utilitarian.

Amazing what a few small changes can do.

I added the paper globes (they were two for a dollar last year at Target) to mimic the real world globe above the bookcases. And discovered I loved the color scheme in the globe.

And I added a few applicable signs after discovering them at a recently discovered store for 50% off. Anyone ever heard of Hobby Lobby?

Oh.

My.

Goodness.


Birdie #7: Speaking of Hobby Lobby: I got this material (originally 19.00 a yard marked down to $4.00 a yard) there. It was in curtain fabric clearance. WHAT is it with ME AND CURTAINS?!?! This material is going to be this years Easter ensemble, if I can ever muster enough courage to step into my frigid craft room. I.Love.It.


Birdie #8: And guess what else I have been up to?


Because I can't let yarn beat me.

Actually making something other than a square still seems impossible. But I *DO* remember feeling that very way about crochet once upon a time. Wish me luck.

and a few without pictures:

Birdie #9: Thanksgiving dinners in February are fun. Though if the goal is the make room in your freezer, using just one turkey doesn't really cut it.

Birdie #10: Corynn's new favorite color is now blue.

Birdie #11: We STILL haven't handed out our Valentines. (whoops)

Birdie #12: I just paid $13.00 in late-fees to the library. $13.00!!!! Thankfully, the library is one place I don't mind throwing my money away at. (But it still makes me sick.)

Birdie #13: Matt isn't going to shave his beard until ANDREW's birthday this year. sigh. A few more weeks....

Birdie #14: Rest time is over for the children, so that is the end of this catch-up post.

.....

(Right about the time when those of you LEFT are screaming for mercy.)

18 comments:

Julia said...

Fun post! Your kiddos are so adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Adele seems like quite the character, love the boots, her hair and the mis-matched socks int he rocking horse photo! As always such a delight to read!
-Bobbi

Miranda Hupp said...

Love your catch up post. Your posts always brighten my day!

Nanci said...

You are absolutely right!!! Birdie #6 would have made me cry if had I seen it at the time things were first sent. However, having been informed in advance that the situation had been corrected, I nearly laughed myself sick when I saw the first picture. It is good to know that Judah's little ears can be nicely tucked inside the earflaps.

If you really want to emphasize the elephant shirt, you can perch the little hat on top of this head. lol

Love you all, so good to see all the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catie said...

I LOVE that fabric! And the pic of your little girl with her hands behind her back melted my heart! Also the pic of your baby boy in the hat! SO STINKIN CUTE!

Bonnie said...

Bullets for bullets here:
*Love the JB outfit, I might have to go in search of one for *MY* JB because he too is a very big boy.

* Rachel can't get outside, but I finally found her winter boots, and like Adele, she wears them all the time, and can usually put them on herself. Quite the little fashion plate Adele is. (Oh, and a friend just had her twin babies early yesterday morning, they named one Addie May. The other, if your curious, is Ellie Rose)
*THe kids room looks great! My own have done a decent job keeping theirs picked up lately, and I need to do a toy weed out.
*The hat picture cracked me up, and reminded me I need to get a picture of JB in his winter hat that is nearly to small.
* You have a schoolroom. I knew that but I would gladly give up one of the bathrooms we have for a schoolroom. What do *you* live in, a mansion? =)
*We just got a Hobby Lobby a year ago. (we makes it sound close instead of 40 minutes of hopskipping around to get there, which it is) Love it, but impossible to take your children to with as close together as the breakable displays are. You can barely get a cart through. Love your plaques.
* Can't wait to see the outfits!
*The knitting looks good
* My biggest library fee (as a single girl) was over $20.
* I'm not running screaming, but I did think the title of this post meant that Maggie (Maggie?) had gotten a hold of the bird feeder crew.
Whew, ain't I the chatty one?

Anonymous said...

I can't say enough about the volumes spoken to my soul by the photo of your four in their schoolroom - so want to go back and do it again and do it your way - what a lovely, lovely scene. bliss.

Rebecca said...

Bonnie~ our "schoolroom" is really just a weird small table plopped awkwardly smack dab into the family room. BUT hey. I *AM* glad for it. And yes, as a matter of fact, this IS a mansion compared to all of our other homes.

And Hobby Lobby being 40 minutes away? EVERYTHING is that way for us. Well, okay, there is a price chopper 25 minutes away but then 40 minutes in all directions after that. Which is a good thing because I think I could get into quite a bit of trouble if I were a frequent visitor.

Abigail said...

I'm choosing to believe that your first comment was directed at me. ("Who wants to be snowplowed with never-ending blog posts about nothing...") How DARE you?!

And quickly, before our friendship officially ends,

I love Judah. I love Judah in that shirt.

I love Adele. I love Adele in that fuzzy. (Does anyone in the world besides my family call them "fuzzies?")

I love that bedroom and its shiny floor with nary a speck of dust thereon.

I love that plate of food. (And I love hot dogs, too.)

I love that little hat. I love that big hat. (Classic hats like that make me long for a little boy to dress.)

I love your schoolroom. You make ME want to decorate.

I love that circus fabric so much I am already making plans to steal it from you. Whatever it takes, it must be mine. (You should probably bring spare outfits to church on Easter Sunday in case that's my first chance for thievery.)

Lastly, what are you making in lovely lavender? Let me know, and then please learn to knit left-handed so you can (re)teach me. ("What?" says Matt, "I never knew you were left-handed!)

Okay.
Now this epic comment can end at the same time as our friendship.

IT'S OVER!

Amy said...

I love all those Hobby Lobby signs! I would go crazy there if I had the money. You should see me on the special week that all that good home accents stuff is 50% off...it's better than a kid and a candy shop.

Leah said...

Those shots of Adele are the kind of shots you love to look at ten years from now - so capturing of a moment of life. (Are those Carter's pajamas? My kids have all lived in those footed Carter's jammies every winter of their lives - well, until the turn five or something, then they start to protest.)

I love your wood floors! (We put old recycled wood floors in our living room and kitchen so we could "copy" the country farm feel, but you've got the real thing.)

Yay!!!! on the knitting! I tried to tell you that if a dork like me can do it, then a dork like... um...well, glad to see you conquering it (I see that one little messed up row on the "garter stitch" area :P he, he)!

Rebecca said...

Abby-you always get me busting up laughing. That left-handed remark had me snorting so loudly the kids came up from downstairs. And no-I didn't mean you. (and you, stinker, have a way of getting me second guessing what I mean! How DO you do that?!?!) I DIDN'T! *I* like to be snowplowed, I just didn't figure anyone else did. Or...well...burying myself deeper every moment. So, I'll stop now.

Oh yes-and the knitting? That is just a swatch so I can get the feel for it. It will be no project. Nor can I ever guarantee any real project will ever happen in the future.

Leah~ for the RECORD...it was knit stitch for quite a few rows then I did the purl stitch for a few rows and then I did the stockinette stitch (or whatever it is called) so TECHINCALLY (I don't THINK) they are messed up? But maybe they are and I just don't know a messed up stitch when I see them. And yes-those are Carters footies that were handmedowns for a girl named Sam whose name is embroidered on them. So our Adele also goes by Sam every now and again. She is a ________ like her mother. ;-)

Leah said...

Sorry, my mistake - I should have known not to question a ______ like you ;)

Kimberly said...

We lived next door to the library when we were first married. Our bedroom looked into the second floor-reach out and touch close. I still had late library books. Ugh. Of course, now I think we have more book in our home than the town library does where we just moved!

Hollace said...

Love seeing the darling photos. That blue cap on such a precious face is breath-taking!

Full of Grace said...

Loved your birdie list. I had to admit, I laughed out loud when I saw the two pics of Judah in the hat! :) Glad you were able to share them :)

It was a lovely update post, and I enjoyed it a lot, even though I get to hear and see more of your family than most on here :)

Unknown said...

Hey, see if your librarian will make an exception for you as a homeschooler! :) Mine did! I am like considered an "organization" or something and I DON'T GET ANY FINES!!! Although, I'm not suppose to abuse the system (like keeping books out for 4 months...oops! *blush*)
Maybe my librarian is just super nice that way, but maybe it would be worth asking about??? :)

I HEART newsie posts like this! :)

Rebecca said...

Amy~ they know we homeschool and order books for us just because they think we will like them. And she has even let me off the hook a few times as far as fines. But I don't want them to hate us or anything-as we go there EVERY week. Besides, if anyone could use the money, it is the libraries! (that is my pathetic justification for burning money.)