What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Nation Adrift


I just recently watched the movie A Nation Adrift, one of several movies put out by New Liberty Videos.   This company was founded by Brian Barkley, a man who worked in Hollywood on motion pictures for decades before deciding to produce Christian DVD's that are "changing lives both now and for eternity". So, he knows his stuff.  And they have plenty of interesting to do just that.

How can a nation that began with such intense morality and Christian ideals have turned into the depraved nation we are living in today?  How did the founding fathers intend for this Republic to be governed and why?  What individuals helped to further those ideals...or thwart them? I, personally, often wonder how we, as a nation, could have strayed so far from the principles/laws/ideals that this once great nation was made up of and wonder how we can reclaim the glory that our nation once had.  (Me, trying to save the world single-handedly.)

A Nation Adrift answers these questions in a 93 minute narrative which takes the viewer on an intense journey through the historical timeline of the founding of this nation; through the pivotal points in history (and the people) that have shaped the course of American history up until present day.  From the godly George Washington to the malicious Margaret Sanger... from Valley Forge to the bombing of Pearl Harbor...from putting Bibles in every school to taking the Lord's prayer out of the schools entirely... you can see very clearly each step we have taken to become what we have become.



I found myself uplifted and proud in the beginning of the movie- as the wisdom of the inspiring men such as George Washington, John Adams and Noah Webster was so clearly present.  As the documentary progressed, I grew further and further forlorn, as we continue to fall into the forces of humanism and godlessness.  We really are at a critical moment in history...and at times it seems like an impossibility to return to the free, independent and God-honoring Republic that once was. But all is not lost- and it is never too late.  The first step is helping people to open their eyes to where exactly we are as a nation and why we got here.  Only then can we determine what steps are necessary to fix things and what things to avoid in the future.

The video is for the 'general audience' but I personally would encourage adults to watch it first before showing it to younger children.  Toward the end of the video, as the discussion turned to abortion and then gay-rights, there was some footage that I deemed inappropriate for my own children at this stage.  Drawings of a partial birth abortion may bother some parents (it is important to me that my own children know the heinousness of that sin-) but for me, the most disturbing footage was a bunch of gay and lesbian people getting married and playing kissy-face in the camera.  My own view is that we are subjected to the whole gay propaganda enough just living in the times we live in (and the activists know that the more we see it/hear about it/experience it, the more "normal" it becomes)... I didn't really need to witness a bunch of gay couples kissing it up it in a Christian documentary to know what they were referring to.  That is my one and only complaint.  It is at the very end and could easily be fast-forwarded through...the rest of the film was fine for children to watch (though it may have been over their heads in areas.)

A Nation Adrift is $19.95 but you get a substantial price cut when ordering more than one of any of their New Liberty Videos.  Personally, I think the Warriors of Honor (about Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and the Civil War) looks like a really interesting one too!  I'd love to see that one, as well.



Click to read Crew Reviews

Crew Disclaimer

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hey Anon- your comment came in my inbox but has somehow disappeared from the comment box...but I think it was a great question- one I'd love to tackle.

Here was the comment, pasted from my email:

Love your blog and your perspectives on life. But I'd love to hear your thoughts on how/if we need to instill acceptance when it comes to gay rights. Even if it isn't OUR choice, do you feel that as parents we should help our children be tolerant and accepting of everyone? As a parent I do admit to struggling with this--especially since returning to the workforce recently has put me alongside many kind and good people--who happen to be gay. It has prompted me to think "outside my box" a little bit. I really value your opinion on this one, Rebecca--and realize it may warrant an entire blog post on your part at some point!��

So here are my immediate thoughts on the subject that will hopefully answer your questions in the short-term.

Since God commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves (Matthew 22) AND love our enemies (Luke 6)- and since every person on earth falls within those two categories, I know that 'tolerating' gay people misses the mark. I don't need to just tolerate them, I must LOVE them.

But loving the PEOPLE is not the same as loving the SIN. I don't believe the fight from gay people is that Christians tolerate them as individuals- but to tolerate what they do...and that I cannot do for the same reason I *MUST* love them- because God tells us we must. God hates sin- so must I. God hates sodomy- so must I. God does not 'tolerate' it and neither must I.

And that is a huge distinction in my book.

There are plenty of great and wonderful, good and kind gay people just like there are plenty of great and wonderful, good and kind thieves. Loving and gracious liars. Joyful and personable pedophiles. Must I love them? Yes. Must I love their sin? Absolutely not.

And the best way to show them that I love them is to show them that what they are doing is something that God hates. Because it WILL matter to them- it will be a matter of life and death to them. Do I do this by being cruel and unjust? No- but how can I do this by being politically correct or by acting as if it is NOT sin? In Leviticus 19 it says (verse 17-19)

17 'You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him. 18 'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

We must love our neighbor but also rebuke him. So we must find that balance of loving the person and hating the sin...that is God's way- that is the only way.