What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

First Birthday
































Ineke's first birthday came just two days before we celebrated the greatest Birth and though I am considering celebrating her "half-birthdays" in summer from now on, somehow the FIRST birthday seems to me to be one in which the baby has really, truly been with us for a whole year.

For several weeks afterward, her birthday hat went missing and I wanted to wait to take pictures of her in her birthday outfit- hence me posting December 23rd birthday pictures on the eve of February. (Though, I've been known to be late with posting birthday photos anyway.  Ahem.)

Knowing I have (Lord willing) many wonderful years of elaborate birthday cake requests ahead of me, I took this opportunity to make super simple cupcakes with super simple frosting.  Ineke was only going to smear and smash her cake anyway, right?  In fact, she very daintily put two little fingers in the icing and had a few tastes of icing and that was that.

Ineke's birthday outfit was made with the last remnants of fabric from another birthday dress.  I had hoped to make a dress for her since skirts on babies are so funny looking- with their little potbellies hanging over- but there was exactly enough to do just a bonnet and skirt.  There was exactly enough fabric with nothing to spare- and exactly enough leftover rabbit fur trim for the bonnet so I guess it was all meant to be.  Her sweater was a hand me down from her sister.  Back when I was a newbie crocheter and Adele' was just a pipsqueak.

I also made Ineke a birthday doll.  The arms are outrageously long- making her perpetually offering a hug to any who lays eyes on her and her eyes are blue-gray just like the girl who she belongs to.  I put a quick love patch on the back of her dress and a jingle bell in her hat.  I had such a hard time deciding if it should be a doll with legs and arms or a baby with a poofy pillowy body.  I somewhat regret my decision, but she seems to like it okay.  ;-)  When Ineke ripped off the top of the paper- she saw it was a baby and gave it an immediate quick hug and then unwrapped the whole thing and squeezed her hard and happily.  It was the very best reaction a Mama could wish for.  I posted all of the photos in sequence (sorry about that- one of the downfalls of reading a Mama blog) so if I scroll through really, really fast I can practically re-live the sweetness.

My girl.  I am so grateful for her.  I lament that she must grow in an age of confusion and suppression and decay, when women march with curses and crudeness and for the murder of innocents and yet I look upon that sweet face, the sweet faces of all of my children, and I see only hope.  They are the change.  They will change the world.  She makes this dark, tainted world better already with her smile, her joy.  And I will raise her to see womanhood as the great honor that it is- and motherhood as the greatest vocation- and children as the gifts they truly are.  And the world will change.  One little person at a time.  Praise be the Lord.

~~~~
kkco

13 comments:

Unknown said...

A beautiful girl. That eye contact she gives the doll before the hug? So cute. But that last paragraph was just so wonderful. Thank you.

Bonnie said...

Darling little Ineke! (She still looks like Andrew to me ). That doll is SO CUTE!!! And Ineke's reaction!!

Rozy Lass said...

She is just precious! Thanks for sharing. And thank you for promising to raise her righteously and virtuously in truth. We need more mommies like you! Keep up the good work. I know the days seem long when surrounded by all the work of home and family, but the work you do is the most important in the world and you'll be able to look back with satisfaction when they are all adults and you can see the fruits of your labors. Blessings to you.

Miranda Hupp said...

Oh my goodness...the reaction to the doll was priceless! You are very talented!

Theresa said...

She is a sweet little girl. She is the face and eyes of your husband. Amazing how some children are the spitting image of their parent.

Love how happy she looked with her dolly. Too cute.

Amy Marie said...

Aww. Happiest Belated Birthday. <3 I found a stack of misplaced mail and EEEK!!! The note and beautiful cards. What can I say? :) Bless you.

beth said...

your girl. her mama-made dolly. your closing paragraph.

beautiful.

Amanda said...

one. child. at. a. time, indeed! One family at a time. Still reading here Rebecca and working on a little something that shall go in the mail soon for you. A lovely spot to come visit amongst this weary, sin filled world. Bless your heart...

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph had me in tears. Crudeness is a good word to describe the behavior I saw. Lord, may we be the balm of Gilead to our families and to the world.

Anonymous said...

IT is hard to believe a whole year has passed! I think she favors your husband. And that doll and her reaction to it are quite priceless. Is her name a family name? I must admit I have never heard it and always like to here how one comes up with a name for a childs lifetime. Your last paragraph was indeed beautiful. I fear for what our world is coming to. It appears that God is nowhere anymore. Bless you and your beautiful children.

Unknown said...

So glad your hope for this blessing came to be !

Ulli said...

Amen! Yes it is a rude and crude world we live in, but we can (and will) teach our children and grandchildren to live a life pleasing to God, and they will pass it on in turn. Change takes time, and a small child can make a big difference, even if to one person. Blessings to you and yours!

PS--wonderful pics--thanks for sharing--what a lovely, tender reaction of Ineke to her baby doll!

Abigail said...

This post is brimful of all things adorable!

A birthday crown has been on my list for YEARS, and I still haven't done it. At this point, if I make one for boys and one for girls, I'll be pretty pleased with myself, let alone a gorgeous, individual one for just that one special Ineke baby! It is charming, just like the girl wearing it, and I love the color combination, too.

The dress and bonnet together are perfection, and it's nearly beyond my strength to look at those pictures of her wearing them in the snow. ARGH! I need to squeeze her this very second. (And I'm about to call the girls in to exclaim over her, too. Soon, you'll be able to hear the squeals echo from our hill to yours.)

Everything about this milestone of your sweet baby reflects how you cherish her-- the crown, the outfit, the sweet doll-- and Ineke's expressions in the pictures reflect her knowledge of and security in that deep love. God blessed her in giving you all as her family, ringed around and joined in protecting, delighting, nurturing, and celebrating. May she continue to flourish in her second year and beyond.