What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Crafty Halloween and a Yarn Along


Halloween this year was a wash-out.  We made it out to ONE place, the Grandparents' church, before heading home, sopped and shivering.  

When you live in the country, though, that just won't cut it for the neighbors.  So the next day, after schoolwork was done, we dressed up again to go a-visiting all the neighbors who request we come every year.

And now you can see the crafting that took place last week:



Halloween night we got to have a good-natured Beekeeper with us.  Good thing, too, that bumble bee of his looked ready to sting us at any moment.

(We borrowed the beekeeping garb from a beekeeping neighbor.  I paid him in cinnamon rolls.)


I used the free Bitty Bumble Bee pattern and some stash yarn to whip up Moses' costume.  The yellow yarn was the perfect color but a weird, fibery type of yarn that I think was pretty itchy.  He didn't love wearing the hat. 

I joked that when wearing the hat, he wasn't a bumble bee but a Grumble bee.  It worked well enough for a one night costume.  And it was FREE!






The perk about trick or treating twice is- daylight photos of costumes the next day!



Judah was a Roman soldier.  I originally was going to crochet him up this hat but time got away from me and cardboard had to do.  (I hope to revisit the crochet version soon.)  I used stash yarn for the red feathery thing on top though!  I *almost* got rid of that yarn SO many times because I thought- "WHEN AM I EVER GOING TO USE THIS STUFF?!"

Man, am I so glad I ignore those inklings right around costume-making time.

Same with the red fabric for the cape.  There was a piece big enough to make scarves for the girls and Judah's cape.  That fabric was a makeshift Christmas tree skirt for Matt's and my very first Christmas!





Andrew was Indiana Jones.  His was the easiest costume ever to put together!    Especially when I found that leather jacket at Salvation Army for $6.00 the day before Halloween.  Lucky us!  We had practically everything else he needed already on hand.



I told Andrew to have an authentic Indiana Jones pose:


Apparently, Indiana Jones is a bit of goof.


That five-o-clock shadow though... now THAT'S authentic!



Matroyshka (or...Russian Nesting) Dolls.  It was my idea to be Matryoshka dolls with my stair step girls.  Some girls went along with it with enthusiasm. 

And SOME I had to coerce (cough cough, CORYNN, cough cough).

I guess she thinks warrior elf princesses are more fun costumes. WHATEVER.


(More fabric from the stash used for apron sewing.  This stuff was given to me by a friend.  I wonder if you think I am a hoarder by now?)



The littlest Matroyshka, in all her glory.

(Makeup!  She got to wear MAKEUP!  If you don't know this about her- she has an affinity for such things.)





And look what I found on the tablet:










It seems, from the looks of these selfies, that Corynn had a better time being a Matroyshka than she originally thought she would!

I attribute it to the dollar store eyelashes.  ;-)

And that was last weeks crafting  Another Halloween, in the rearview.

Now I can resume my regular reading and knitting schedule:


A horribly lit photo, but fitting, since it's the horribly lit truth of when I can actually sit down to knit. 

6 comments:

Ulli said...

The nesting dolls are real beauties, and the boys are BOYS! So cute--all of you!

Sofia Amaral M. said...

😍😍😍😍😍

Lenka said...

Oh, your matrjoshka dolls look like they came straight from Russia :)
And the little boy is sooo sweet.

Abigail said...

Oh! I love them all!

When the girls first told me you were dressing as matryoshkas, I kicked myself for not ever thinking of such a marvelous costume! Millie thinks I'm silly for saying we can never do the same, but, as you know, I have copied your ideas a number of times before, so I should probably stop. Seeing these beautiful costumes, admiration fills me anew. They are marvelous! You are all charming; yes, Corynn, even you! ;)

The boys are great, too. I especially love Judah's helmet. I may be in the minority, but I think that your paper art exceeds the knitted version here. It is an impressive work!

Abigail said...

p.s.
That's murky wording.
I believe the paper helmet exceeds the knitted helmet, not that the paper helmet exceeds the knitted bumblebee.

Not much could be better than a Moses Grumblebee.

beth said...

love all your costumes -- the matryoshka dolls are simply MARVELOUS!