What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Birthday Miracles (Ineke Turns 4)


Ineke was sure that she would turn four "when the snow comes" so she has thought it was her birthday every time it snowed.

The first snow was in October.

But eventually, it actually *was* her birthday...just a few days before Christmas.

Being four is a pretty special birthday because the minute she turned four, her hair was long enough to do in braids.

(A birthday miracle?)


Her birthday was on a Sunday which means the morning was full of the hustle and bustle of  getting ready for church.  Time slowed for just long enough for everyone to gather and watch as she opened sister gifts.  Considering our Sunday mornings- that could definitely be considered a miracle.


A few weeks before her birthday, I asked Ineke what she might really, really like for her birthday.

I was expecting something girlie or pretty or mermaidy or unicorny since that seems to be how she rolls these days.  Instead, with those happy little mischevious eyes she looked at me, grinning, and said "I'd want Papa to shave his beard and mustache!"

I couldn't believe my ears.  I said something like "Well.  That is something you will have to tell PAPA about!"  She did.

On her birthday morning, I couldn't believe my EYES- the bearded man was beardless!






That would be miracle #3... and if it isn't a miracle, I wish I had as much clout as my girl!



Ineke's requested birthday meal was tuna fish sandwiches and chicken bbq dip with chips.  That sounded like a pathetic birthday meal so I splurged and bought too-expensive croissants and spent half an evening hotgluing a bunch of ribbons to toothpicks to make things fancy for her.



When Ineke was a three day old baby, Matt gave her a little hard plastic polar bear for her Christmas present.  He gave me the Mama polar bear.  I cried at the sweetness of it.  Ineke discovered, this summer, that her baby polar bear was gone.

He miraculously returned for her birthday this year though...which made her exceedingly happy.  

I included lots of meringue cookies because I learned from Adele's birthday cake (way back in November- and no, I haven't blogged it yet) that meringue cookies tops Ineke's list of favorite things to eat.  









And just wait until you see the last of the birthday miracles...





















Ever since I first saw this in the Magic Cabin catalog (back when Adele' was a baby so...10 years ago give or take), I wanted to have it for my children.  AND myself.

Spending $300 on a toy is out of the question for us so I knew if the gnomes and fairies were ever to get a home in these parts, it would be by the hands of my handy husband.  But birthdays would pass, Christmases would pass, children were growing up... and I knew that if it were ever to actually happen, it would need to happen quickly.

There are no guarantees that more children will come along, after all.   And these children are growing up at lightening speed. I brought it up again this year, as I do every year, and this time out of desperation, I wondered aloud if Matt's Dad might be willing to make it for me since Matt is always so busy.

WELL.

That seemed to be the ticket!  Matt dove right in one Saturday and by the evening, it was done.  (Matt wasn't totally opposed to his Dad working on it- he helped out quite a bit too.)

When Matt brought it in, it took my breath away.  It still does, every time I look at it.    He even made some wooden furniture to go with it!  I made some furniture, a stove, some food and plenty of peg people to play with.  The total project cost under $6.00 because we had EVERYTHING on hand already except the battery operated tea light candles, some green fiber and a little metal pail. 

I am not sure how we will ever top this birthday.  She was spoiled for sure.  But we have been spoiled aplenty with this spunky and sweet creature and our gift giving pales in comparison to His gift to us... the gift of our Tiddle.









5 comments:

Ulli said...

What a lovely post! Happy Birthday, Ineke! You certainly had a wonderful day, full of surprises! Love the handmade "play structure" that Matt made. Not sure what to call it. BUT, now I have my eye on something like it for my granddaugher. You and Matt (and his dad) did a great job, so lovingly making this play set for your little girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a magical gift!!

Jane said...

WOW!! What a beautiful gift. LOVE IT!!!!

Wilma said...

That gift is amazing - and how special that it was made for Ineke. I would have loved one of those as a child (actually I probably still would!!)

Abigail said...

Hurrah for four! And may God grant many, many more to this irrepressible girl!

I love her expressions in all of these, but ESPECIALLY the one you caught of her looking up at Matt (I assume) as he walked into the bedroom to reveal a smooth face. It is just the sweetest possible look!

And, wow, is that treehouse ever magical! If you'd known getting it would be that easy, you would have said those magic words years ago, ha! ;) It is a dream, and I love the picture you got of everyone curled around it. I'd say that was a gift for the whole Newman clan!