What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, July 24, 2020

The 2017 Put 'Em Up List

I noticed recently that my "Putting Up List" on the sidebar was from way back in 2017.  Get with the program, Rebecca!

It isn't that I haven't been canning or preserving since then, only that I never kept up the lists for proof.  Too bad too- it is a bit self-gratifying to see the sweaty afternoons preserving all tidily organized on a proverbial shelf for me to look back on.  Why yes- many days of sweat DO add up to edibles.  ;-)

Here's some photos of making apple chips in March with the last of the winter apples... (they were BEAUTS...even after being stored for months)



Here's my helper... who ate all the scraps.  



And here is the 2017 Put 'Em Up List--- in order to wipe the slate clean and make room for 2020.  Lord willing, it will be a doozy.  



2017 Put 'Em Up List
~Canned~

~zucchini relish (35 pints)
~bread and butter pickles (14 qts and 13 pints)
~Experimental Recipe Pickles (7 qts)
~Hamburger Dill Pickles (7 qts)
~ Green Beans (7 qts)
~ Beef chunks (7 qts)
~ Beef Stew (14 qts)
~ zucchini relish ~ to sell (22 pints)
~ Three Bean Salad (9 qts)
~ Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam (8 jars)
~ Blueberry Peach Jam (8 jars)
~ Peaches (4 qts)
~ Plum Jam (12 jars)
~ Peach Bellini Jam (8 jars)
~ Apple Cider (4 half gallon jars)

~Frozen~

~ Blueberries (11 gallons)
~ Peaches (3 gallons)
~ Apple Cider (2 gallons)

~Dehydrated~

~Misc.~

7 comments:

Mary P said...

Well your blog posts over the last few years show you’re only 3 years behind on LISTING your canning projects, we’ve been watching the beauty and productiveness of your produce and projects ;-) My husband often reminds me (mostly about taking photos) that “it’s better to enjoy the moment than capture it”. (If you cant manage both ;-)

Mary P said...

Ps. Is it easy to make your apple chips? They look great - I have pretty basic kitchen skills and my canning attempt failed but maybe I could manage these...

Stacey K. said...

I'd like a recipe for your zucchini relish and what you do with it! We had TONS of zucchini this year!

Rebecca said...

Mary- your hubby is a wise man. I was reminded about that 'enjoy' versus 'capture' lesson a few weeks back when I realized I had totally forgotten my camera at an amazing fireworks show we were able to see. I don't miss the pictures of it and not having the distraction of trying to 'capture it' made me enjoy it all the more. :-) I will say, though, with my TERRIBLE memory, I am thankful for the camera to capture things that will undoubtedly leave my mind the instant the moment passes and having a picture instantly reminds me of those moments. We've spoken before of future days of empty homes and empty bellies and empty laps... and I will look back fondly on these full days and funny faces when I look back on my pictures.

Provided I actually print them before the internet implodes. :-)



Stacy K- I just so happened to post the recipe long ago on my once-upon-a-time recipe blog many years ago. Here ya go:

https://sgrbearskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/06/zucchini-relish.html

Of course you can use it for all your relish needs, but we also enjoy it atop a cracker with a slice of cheddar and then the dollop of zucchini relish. The reason I make it each year, though, is because I am certain it is the secret ingredient that makes the worlds.best.tunafish. Coming from a girl who doesn't like the taste of fish, that says something. ;-)

Rebecca said...

Oops! I forgot to answer YOUR question Mary---

dehydrating apple slices is SO easy and they are SOOOO delicious. You'll totally be able to handle it. THe process is all in the one picture. Slice 'em up and put 'em on a dehydrator. That's it. You can core them first- or not. You can deydrate them for a long time and make them crisp like chips or for a shorter time and make them more bendy and soft. You decide. I like to use a mandoline to make slicing fast but I did it for years without one too. Sometimes I sprinkly a touch of cinnamon sugar to the tops before deyhrating if I am feeling generous. ;-)

Making Cents Of It All said...

I make the apples sprinkled with cinnamon and the kids and Hubby attack. I just canned some cherries in brandy as Christmas gifts. Everyone goes crazy for them. I got the cherries on sale for $1.88 so it was time to make them.

Rebecca said...

MakingCents---oooh! Great Christmas gift! Yummmmmmmm.