What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, February 04, 2022

Bookishness


A few years ago, I was given a very small, irregularly long and narrow journal as a gift.  I didn't know what I would do with it until I realized it was the perfect size for making lists.  I wondered what sort of list I would want to keep (I get a certain amount of pleasure by throwing away crossed off and accomplished lists) and then it occurred to me it would make a wonderful BOOKLIST.

I could keep track of what I have read and when.  I give stars to those books I find most worthwhile or enjoyable.

I could see first hand that even a slow and steady reading life can and would eventually build up to something more substantial.

Many years from now, my children and grandchildren can look back upon what has fed and formed me.

It's actually been quite wonderful.  I encourage everyone to get themselves a book list journal.

Before my book journal, I would have said I had probably read about 13 books or so this year.  But the number was actually 34!  Strides can be made sentence by sentence, it seems.


Books I Read in 2021:

  • Man's Search for Meaning by Victor E. Frankl (a rollover from December-finished in January)
  • Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
  • Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell
  • Slave Narrative: The Life of Fredrick Douglas by (you guessed it)
  • Jack by Marilynne Robinson
  • Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stevenson
  • The New Trail of Tears by Naomi Shaefer Riley
  • Blackout by Candance Owens
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Uneasy Money by P.G.Wodehouse
  • O, Pioneers by Willa Cather
  • Rainbow Valley by L.M.Montgomery
  • The Autobiography of Calvin Coolidge by (you guessed it)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by R.L.Stevenson
  • The Best Cook in the World by Rick Bragg
  • My Early Life by Winston Churchill
  • When you Rise Up by R.C.Sproul Jr.
  • The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy
  • Money in the Bank by P.G.Wodehouse
  • A Rationbook Childhood by Jean Fullerton
  • Twenty Days with Julian and Little Bunny by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Young Goodman Brown and Short Stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers
  • Laughing Gas by P.G.Wodehouse
  • The Code of the Woosters by P.G.Wodehouse
  • Dorothy L Sayers: A Biography, Death, Dante and Lord Peter by Colin Duriez
  • Busmans' Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers
  • My Man Jeeves by PG.Wodehouse
  • The Gulag Archipelago Volume 1 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (this I am still working on)
  • 12 Rules for Life by Jorden Peterson (this I am still working on)


P.G.Wodehouse basically saved my life this year.  This sounds melodramatic but it was his witty, hilarious and light-hearted writings that lifted up and offered comedic relief to a girl who really, really needed some.  I listened to audiobooks on the way to Rochester and Elmira each week, to visit my Mom in the ICU (3+ hours one way) so I was afforded LOTS of Wodehouse time.  I have thanked God for the man who was Wodehouse many times this year.  Money in the Bank was probably my favorite this year- so many belly laughs. Simon Vance is a masterful narrator. 

I have distinct memories of sitting on the porch last summer with everyone in rocking chairs,  rereading certain bits of The Best Cook in the World to Matt and the children because "you just HAVE to hear this part!"  Rick Bragg is a gifted storyteller to be sure- but his childhood had some remarkable (and often hilarious) stories to tell- which certainly helps.  

The Death of Ivan Ilych was affecting.  Dorothy Sayers was an interesting lady who wrote interesting stories. 

It seems Oscar Wilde painted a portrait of himself in his The Picture of Dorian Gray.

The Gulag Archipelago and Man's Search for Meaning ought to be required reading for Every.Alive.Person.

The 2020's required a reread of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451.  And if one hasn't read them, they also should be required reading.  Pertinent, they are.


Here are some books I hope to read in 2022:

~ Finish reading The Gulag Archipelago: An Experiment in Literary Investigation (Volume 1) by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

~  A Lantern in her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich

~ Hard Times by Charles Dickens

~ The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

~ The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

~ Paradise Lost by John Milton

~ An Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim

~ something by Anthony Horowitz (The House of Silk? Magpie Murders?)

~ * I also plan to start a weekly 'Newman Book Club for the Biggles' in which the teens and I go through Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis.  We may even listen to these talks.*


Of course, if you have any exceptionally good books (in any genre) that you loved... please let me know!  I am trying to be more well-rounded in my reading and I particularly like picking up books that have been recommended to me by interesting and respected people who are well rounded themselves.  

Any books, in particular, you are hoping to read this year?

10 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Wow! You have read some "heavies". I love keeping a list of books I've read. Years ago I enjoyed P.G. Wodehouse, he really does have an amazing wit. The BBC had a Wodehouse Playhouse series (in the 70's if I remember correctly) that was equally as funny.
One of my favorite series of all time is Alexander McCall Smith's "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", now up to volume 22. His writing is gentle, wise and funny. I underline bits and mark passages for their profound wisdom. James Harriot's books (All Creatures Great and Small) are another wonderful series. And while the PBS TV series is charming, it isn't quite as good as the books.
I thoroughly enjoyed Calvin Coolidge's autobiography. We need more men and women like him in Washington today! Principled and FRUGAL!
For Black History month I've just began "Up From Slavery" by Booker T. Washington.
An excellent book for your oldest children would be "The Proximity Principle" by Ken Coleman, a colleague of Dave Ramsey.
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

A Lantern in Her Hand is my very favorite book! I read it as a young mother, and it had such and impact on me. I re-read it last year, and I loved it every bit as much!

Pam

Sarah said...

I enjoyed your list and the recommendation of P.G. Wodehouse. I just finished the first two volumes of the Gulag Archipelago -- took me about 4 months. They were heavy but also absorbing and shocking, as they were intended to be. Many times I would think, "This sounds eerily like ____ today in the west". All the best in your reading.

Leah said...

We read some of the same books last year and we have some of the same one in our TBR list for this year! My favorite reads last year were Jane Eyre and Health for All of Life. My TBR this year includes lots of C.S. Lewis, Anna Karenina, some L.M. Montgomery, some Charles Dickens, some Wendell Berry, and poetry. I really enjoyed reading more poetry in 2021 and want to keep that up for the rest of my life! I have many other books on my list but we'll see how far I get. Book recommendations: The Deadliest Monster is a great book to read after Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Frankenstein.

Ulli said...

I'm not a big reader. *Gasp* Yes, I can hear you. In my early years, my mother would rather see progress: weed the garden, sew something, do your ironing, practice your knitting/crocheting/embroidering, etc. So I have those skills, and I'm not complaining. Growing up I never really saw my mother sit down to read. Interestingly in her old age she read a lot. She told me she felt like she had to make up for lost time.
One of my favorite books is Hiking Through by Paul Stutzman. I started with that on a recommendation and have worked my way through most of his books. Some fiction, some not. Hiking Through is not. I think you'll enjoy it.

Davene Grace said...

How wonderful!!

A Lantern in Her Hand is one of my all-time favorites! I'm so glad you're going to read it!

Davene Grace said...

Have you read any books by David Kline? I've read Great Possessions and Scratching the Woodchuck and thoroughly enjoyed both! I think you would really like them.

Rebecca said...

Rozy- I tried to watch Jeeves and Wooster episodes from the BBC from the library but they just annoy me. Like seeing a black and white picture of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Booker T. is one of my favorite people. Thank you for the Coleman recommend- I will look into that. Dave Ramsey has helped me immensely through the years.

Pam- I am so happy to hear that you loved it. It makes me more excited to start.

Sarah- I KNOW! Crazy. I often think about (in desperation) how we can LEARN from history so that history does not repeat itself (as it seems to be doing again and again) and the greatest thing I think we can do is actually KNOW it. I don't think it is coincidence that, for the most part, new waves of tyranny come once the generation who lived through the last one (and would see the warning signs) die off. These books are so vital.

Leah- I have been wanting to pick up Anna Karenina for two years now and never wind up doing it! I read Frankenstein two years ago and Dr. J last year so I guess I know what book to read in October! Thanks for the recommend.

Ulli- how your mother felt later in life about "making up for lost time" is something I have felt very acutely as I grow older too. I spent the majority of my childhood reading (and rereading) Twinkie books and almost never read savory, chewy, feasty books. I don't know how long I have to read the books of this world but I know it isn't much time at all compared to all the art written between pages. The skills you have are masterful too and I wish more people had them! You were blessed to be encouraged (required) to learn those things.

Davene- I think anything with the name Scratching the Woodchuck is well worth a read. The title made me chortle.

Anonymous said...

I had a goal of one book per month and somewhere around March, I fell off the wagon. I did read several “Anne” books this year. This year I’m hoping to achieve the same goal, successfully, and for January I read LM Montgomery, “Emily Climbs”, it was ok, but not my favorite of her books...this month I’m reading “Teaching the Trivium” (again, it’s been years) by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn (a must read for homeschooling parents...and non, if they can “swallow” it...it’s so wonderful), I have to read 20 pages a day to finish it this month and I’m only on page 60+...it’s not looking good for me...we are starting to read “Family Driven Faith” (Voddie Baucham) as a family...so good and crucial....

You did GREAT on your reading this year. I, too, read a Wodehouse book this year. But, I can’t remember the name of it...yikes...I’ll have to ask Erin...Maybe something like Lady in Blue? white? Hmmmm...

Rebecca said...

Monica--- ooooh. I love Voddie B!