What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Decking the Halls and other December Things

 Hello friends.

My attempts to get ahead at Christmas things felt a bit disingenuous with warm 50-60 degree weather even into December.  (How do Southerners get into the spirit of things, I wonder?)  

But now the snow is falling, the world is white and shadowed with shades of blue and gray... all seems as it should be.  Christmas is coming, indeed.  NEXT WEEK!

And so we beckon in the Light with lights.  And sparkle.  And Nog.  And forkless feasts.

Let the Tree Trimming party commence!



Our traditional Forkless Feast was filled with fewer (and cheaper) treats this year because grocery shopping these days leaves me speechless.  (I could not believe it when I spotted half gallons of eggnog on sale for over $16!!  Do people pay that price... for real?)

We passed on the elegant cheeses from Aldi and the nuts but managed to get some little smokies and rye dip on the table (the once a year treats saved especially for the Trim the Tree party).   

Mental note:  I need to learn how to make marbled rye bread successfully.  Paying over $4 for a loaf of the stuff is not something I love to do.

 I still teared up a bit.  Both in the savoring of this goodness and in the knowing this tradition may have to look different in the future. 

He that hath a merry heart has a continual feast.

Better is a dry morsel with quietness than a house full of feasting with strife. 

Better is a dinner of herbs, where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred within.

Do all teenage girls react this way to the antics of their father?





I took no pictures of Ineke because she was over in the corner doing what she always does when the Christmas decorations come out: playing with the angels and Godfather Drosselmeyer.  I do wish I had thought to get a picture of that though.

Do all teenage boys react this way to the antics of their mother?

Apparently Judah decides to just get 'er done and puts all his ornaments in the same spot.  Front and center.

We should keep a Christmas tree all the time...turns out they make marvelous camouflage for laundry covered chairs. 

The trim the tree party was just in the nick of time for Saint Nicholas Day.

Or should I say "nich"?  

har har



The basket to the left has Dutch treats in it that will be spread out across the year.  Hagel, Griotten, Dubblezout drop, Wilhelmina mints.  Not all are dubblezout fans in this house (more for me!) but no one would pass up on hagel.  

Dutch treats are usually passed out on Sundays.  Otherwise, that basket wouldn't last a week, let alone until next St. Nicholas.



Christmas card chaos.  Everyone wants to help and I love it.  Except when I discover (too late) that some of the newsletters did not print on the second side but have been sealed in envelopes and stamped.  Who knows how many people will only hear about half of the family...

Grandma and Grandpa wanted a picture with the grandkids for their Christmas cards so one afternoon we popped over and snapped a few.  This was my favorite, but came in second place for the cards.


Cinnamon rolls for neighbors, cinnamon rolls for co-workers, cinnamon rolls for parties and for gifts and for mailmen, librarians and church friends. Three triple batches of cinnamon rolls later and not done yet.  

Moses has a particularly interesting method of rolling...









I did not take the above four photos.  That would mean I would have to leave the warmth of the house and hike up the hill in winter.  And Mama HIBERNATES in winter, she doesn't hike.  These were taken by Adele'.  



Drinking hot cocoa in an igloo house at dusk.


And a few December bullets for you:  (bang bang!)

* Last Sunday we watched It's a Wonderful Life.  Corynn left before it was over because she couldn't stand George Bailey's screeching voice but Andrew marked it as one of his top 5 favorite movies.  It had been years since I saw it and I almost gave up watching when Old George Bailey was so mean and tantrum-y but was glad I saw it through to the end.  I really love old movies.  

* I now want to watch all the old black and white (or technicolor) Christmas movies.  Christmas in Connecticut may or may not be scheduled for this Sunday evening.  (White Christmas and Holiday Inn were watched practically in November.  They are favorites.)  Feel free to let me in on any recommendations...

* We are reading through both God Rest Ye Merry and G.K. Chesterton's Advent and Christmas Wisdom simultaneously and it is interesting and insightful to read both perspectives alongside one another.  

*  The Christmas Barn is our current read-aloud book.

* Other than foodstuffs, I am not doing any handmade gifts for anyone this year...which is both a relief and a bit mournful.  And very, very strange.

* All the children have beautiful handknit stockings (not made by me).  Matt and I have generic sewn stockings.  This year, I decided to ditch the dorky (but nostalgic) stocking I made Matt for our first year of marriage and the one I got on clearance for myself way back then and replace ours with knit stockings too.  Complete the aesthetic, as it were.  I don't know why it took years to do it but I am glad I finally made that decision.  Now- to find/make stockings...

* Speaking of knitting, I haven't knit anything in almost a year.  About the same time since I have written a handwritten letter.  Both things I hope to remedy in the new year.

* This is an incredibly uplifting article I read today.

*And if you haven't already seen it (and maybe even if you have), this is a fun movie to watch (free on Amazon Prime) before Christmas.

Happy Mid-December, everyone!

8 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Since I grew up in San Diego I can tell you how "southerners" get in the spirit of Christmas without snow. Contrasting to the late summer, early autumn heat, December does feel colder and the days are shorter and the calendar says winter, so we feel cozy at home and put up a tree and decorations and lights and it feels like Christmas. We visited Nana and Grandpa in Salt Lake City every other year or so, and to me winter and snow are someplace you visit, not someplace you live. It's fun to play in the snow with cousins, and go sledding and tubing, but when all is said and done it's great to go back home where there is no snow to shovel or scrape off cars, etc.
When I was in elementary school we walked the mile to school, and it was literally uphill both ways, because we had a hilly terrain to traverse. I was always grateful it didn't snow!
I've lived away from San Diego for the past 33 years and I still miss it. But Christmas is special wherever we live because of the symbols of Christ and the traditions that lead us to Him.

debbie said...

Your house looks fun can u adopt me lol.

Anonymous said...

I love your Christmas Tree trimming posts. Your traditions are like the ones I had with my daughters when they were growing up. An old movie I love is The Bishop’s Wife with Loretta Young. Christmas blessings to you and yours. Lynn Ewing

Monica said...

Loved everything about this. I’m with ya on the jaw dropping grocery prices. I end up just seeing what ingredients I have and going with that (except the bag or two of chips…i doubt anyone would appreciate homemade chips…ha)..but yes, feeling ya.

We do the cinnamon rolls as gifts as well…

Love the children…I just want to reach in and pinch Judah’s cheeks. I’m sure he would appreciate that, no? ;)

Christmas card coming your way!

PS. YES it is hard to get in the Christmas spirit in 75 degrees…thankfully, this week is going to be super cold…like record temps for us (in the teens!)…I will be hibernating as well.

Take care, Newmans! Enjoyed the blog of the annual Tree Trimming!
Monica

Unknown said...

We Southerners will be wondering how you folks do it with freezing temps when we will suddenly get temps in the teens in a few days! Will be nice to have a cold Christmas for once though! Wishing for snow and no busted pipes, please!

Did Corynn make that ornament? Because I would totally buy one of my family from her! It's perfect!!

Rebecca said...

Rozy Lass- it's true. Christmas is special wherever we live because of the symbols of Christ and the traditions that lead us to Him. Well said. I should have been more careful with my words. And I would be so happy (SO HAPPY!) to get snow for a week at Christmas and then be done with it for the rest of the year. Not only the scraping of snow and ice, but now that some children are driving- snow and ice adds a whole new element of worry in winter that I would rather not have!

Debbie- YES!

Lynn- I haven't watched that in many years! Thank you for reminding me!

Monica- did you mean Moses? If not, it is hysterical thinking about you coming and pinching Judah's cheeks. If so, it is hysterical too because: this year my in-laws asked that I make Christmas cards for them with a photo and the names underneath of all the grandchildren. So I did- I ordered them- they picked them up- and then they called me and said that I had listed Judah's name instead for Moses. When I look at Moses, I think JUDAH! so I guess it just came naturally. I told them just to keep it because everyone else thinks it too! (They didn't.) Can't WAIT for your card! YAY!

Unknown- she did! I am sure she would be pleased to make one for you! If you email me at nuevohombres at gmail youknowtherest I will get you both connected! Stay warm this week! When Southerners get cold spells, it can be much worse, because ya'll are unaccustomed and unprepared for it. Us Northerners have snow and salt trucks on standby practically from October onward.

Abigail said...

This post is packed with good.

1. Another lovely and delicious trim-the-tree party! Every year the children say, "The Newmans have tons of YUMMY food when THEY trim their tree!" And I say, "NO! That's our New Year's Eve!" Then I come and see your pictures and wish we could have both. (The price of eggs is what's killing me, though. We usually buy eggnog for Christmas morning, and Aldi had it for $5 a half gallon-- steep but not extravagantly more than normal. Millie usually makes a gallon+ of homemade eggnog for New Year's, though, and when I priced ingredients, I realized it would be about the same price to make it this year as to buy it! She still made the homemade stuff, but only through my wincing as I bought the eggs.)
2. We just had your decadent cinnamon rolls yesterday when Tim and Natalie arrived here for lunch. They were amazing, and even after a week of rich food, I still managed to eat one and a half. Thank you!
3. The snow igloo is pure magic. See! Winter's not half bad! ;)

Abigail said...

p.s. That picture of Matt's parents with the grandchildren is wonderful. <3