What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, May 14, 2007

Brain Wipe

Now that I have officially kicked off my canning year-I have to CLEAN MY SLATE and start anew. SO-you will notice, the sidebar is looking a bit bare to make room for this year's canned goods.

In order to remember what I made last year in order to compare next years successes, I post my complete list here.

~ Strawberry Jam: 10 hp
~ Blueberry Lime Jam: 7 hp and 5 jj
~ Blueberry Spice Jam: 5 hp
~ Lemony Blueberry-Nectarine Jam: 4 p.
~ 3 quart bags of frozen blueberries
~ Volcano Pickles: 6 Q.
~ Zucchini Relish: 19 p., 5 hp. and 1 jj
~ Garlic Dill Spears: 5 Q. and 1 p.
~ Bread and Butters Pickles: 15 Q.and 12 p.
~ Mustard Pickles: 2 Q.
~ Jardenieri: 4 Q.
~ Chili Sauce: 4 p.
~ Salsa: 12 Q. and 4 p.
~ Tomatillo Salsa: 3 Q.
~ Spaghetti Sauce: 5 Q.
~ Honey Spice Orange Slices: 4 p.
~ Pineapple Topping: 6 hp. and 1 jj
~ Brandied Peaches: 5 Q.
~ Vanilla Peach Syrup: 5 p.
~ Peach Butter: 3 P.
~ Cherry Green Tomato Pickles: 5 Q.
~ Hot Peppers: 7 Q. and 9 p.
~ Applesauce: 17 Q.
~ Apple Butter: 25 jars

I look forward to seeing how I do next year and comparing. My goal is to always expand both in quantity and in new recipes. On ward Ho, I go!

(PS...For those of you who requested the recipe for Dandelion Wine...I FINALLY post it for you. It is below...)

3 comments:

Els said...

Surely, a very impressive list!
Is it all consumed by the Newmanfamily in one year or do you also use some of it as gifts?
I've made some relish and a bit more jam and applesauce, but never record how much. Maybe I should?
Fact is that I don't have Amish around the corner, and the PYO-farms here are very expensive.
we try to grow some in our own garden, but we have extremely heavy clay, (no fun) and the sun is on the wrong side of the house, and there are many trees (not alowed to cut by landlord, though we have about halved them in two years).
Still, we try, and it's always fun if something does grow!

Rebecca said...

Els~ I use them as gifts too. It is a perfect hostess gift when people have us over for supper, I have given jars to people who need groceries, even at Christmastime (especially MY family because no one else cans...so they appreciate it!)

Our soil is awful to, but I managed to do quite well last year. THis year I don't think I am going to garden much outside of pots, just in case we have to move. But you are right-it does help ever so much to have an Amish roadside stand selling for cheap! I will utilize that to its FULLEST this year! ;-)

I started keeping track just so I could make sure I was expanding and getting better (this is only my third year canning, after all!) But it IS fun to compare and to see how much you really do. I would suggest it!

Abigail said...

Last year, I jotted what I canned on the calender, and I, too, think it's worth it. It's satisfying (and makes me feel smug in the winter months) to look at a tally of what I ladled into jars, even though God did the work of growing it all so that I could brandish the ladle.