What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, May 13, 2005

Busy Beaver

Well Well Well. A moment at last. It seems time has been getting away from me. At least I am being productive. The past few weeks I have wanted nothing to do with cleaning, housework, cooking, or laundry. All those "necessary" things-Who needs 'em???? The horrible part about it all is....I am not pregnant so I don't have any excuse other than sheer LAZINESS! I am thankful to be out of that rut-and in fact, I am on a roll now! This past week I have organized Corynn's closet (I think it is common knowledge how closets are clutter magnets so this IS a feat, believe it or not.) Cleaned and organized the downstairs bathroom/utlity room. Organized the mudroom. Took six trips of STUFF to the basement. Organized and packed away some baby clothes I have bought at Salvation Army for my non-existent 'peanut'. Furniture polished, dusted, vacuumed, swept, moved furniture around, cleaned upstairs bathroom, dishes-dishes-more dishes., planted four tomato plants, six packs of viola's, and filled a huge flower pot which is now brimming with oranges, yellows, reds, and purples. And here are the exceptional ones....Swept the porch ceiling of cobwebs, dust, and groedy-ness AND scrubbed down the vinyl siding in the front of our house. It was DISGUSTING! So-I will be good to go until my spider friends wake up and rebuild their homes tonight, until the dust settles, and/or until the next meal Corynn eats.
Corynn, after having slept uncomfortably on the hard plyboard in an old fashioned playpen for far too long, now has a real bonafide crib to sleep in-with "new" bumbers and a blanket to boot. I say "new" because they are new to me-very 'chic' with a price I liked... $2.00. I also got a beauitfully crocheted mint-green blanket that matches at Salvation Army for $1.50. She is stylin' now!
I plan to post some pictures very soon...pry this evening. Matt gave me an "early" birthday present which was an inexpensive digital camera. I am not having much luck. There are stripes in the photo's that I just don't like. If it a toss-up between stripes and an angelic glow when shooting out in the sunshine-give me the heavenly aura anyday. He can have the new one and I will keep my old one. We can't take it back since he made me THROW AWAY THE BOX!!!! (Do you sense some resentment?!?! hehehe)
Potty training is killing me. Corynn seems to digress and thus increases my STRESS! I was hoping to be DONE by now, but truly, not much progress has been shown. She is even beginning to refuse to go when she is on. I am wondering if the "next step" should be taken. Is there ever a time when spanking is a course of action or is that unnecessary, unhelpful, and unfair? I don't know-I wish I did. If anyone has any advice....I am eagerly awaiting it. Am I being too hard on a 20 month old or not hard enough?
And now that naptime is almost through, I leave you with one more comment. An remorseful admittance, for sure. for all those wondering whether or not I have completed Elizabeth's quilt, I ruefully hang my head in shame. I have not even started such a project................................................................................

2 comments:

Abigail said...

You, too, hm? So that's where I caught my general lack of vim and vigor lately. I know I can't blame it on you, but lately it's taken me a day to do what should only take an hour. Maybe the hazy laziness of summer is setting in a few months before it's supposed to.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. A stack of dishes awaits me a scant 15 feet away, and now I have no excuses left in my bag of tricks.

Quilt, schmilt, as long as you finish it before I do mine, you're in fine shape.

As I've only potty-trained one child so far, and she mostly trained herself, I've still got almost no experience. The only times I swatted Millie for a related something was when she was almost completely potty-trained. A few times, instead of yelling or throwing a fit (both of which she knows are not allowed), she deliberately used the bathroom on the floor.
It's hard to know how to respond. Children have different time frames for this, and Corynn's not quite two yet. If you are consistently training her, and she is occasionally successful, I don't think you're behind at all. Plus, different things make it harder to potty-train. When Millie was tired, hungry, sick, or distracted, she forgot to go in the bathroom. Plus, up until several months ago when I think we crossed the hump for good, she would occasionally digress for a week or two. You don't want to turn it into a battle or make her associate using the potty with discipline, either. Take heart, she will someday make the journey to and from Bathroom Land all by herself, which will be good, because by then, maybe you'll have another one to tend to! :)

Rebecca said...

Thanks Abby. One thing that complicates the whole potty issue is inconsistency every weekend. Nearly every weekend we go to Matt's 'rents house and it is never enforced there. 1) They always want to be with her-and they don't think of taking her. I don't want to feel like a grinch pulling her away all the time.
2) They don't have a potty seat so you actually have to hold her on there.
3) I am just making excuses....

So-given that, poor girly girl must get pretty confused that it is important some times and not others.

Thanks for your encouraging words...sometimes it is just nice to hear reinforcing words to give "permission" to take the time needed. Now, off to rinse out more diapers....