What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, May 16, 2005

You won't believe this.....Matt can cook-and he's GOOD at it too!

Well- I'm a year older making me a whopping 23. And it's a good thing I am not superstitious because I hate odd numbers.
My birthday was wonderful. Matt made me feel like a princess. My sister, Mom, and I all met in Ithaca and went shopping. It was nice to have all the girls together. I bought a new (on sale) dress for the first time in ages. When I got back home, Matt told me I was no longer allowed in the kitchen-so I sat at the computer and did some work. He brought me wine and a bowl of cashews (my favorite!) and sporatically refilled my cup. When it was close to dinner he ran upstairs and put on his Sunday best, came down and walked me to the table where a silk rose adored my place setting. Candles were lit on the table, a new Gloxinia plant was in the center of the table, and latin music was playing in the background. He had made dinner for me....consisting of bacon wrapped chicken, swiss cheese mashed potatoes, sauteed sugar snap peas, and cashewed beets. And for dessert...homemade hot milk shortbread covered with homemade blueberry sauce and topped with cool whip. WOW. I didn't even know that man could cook! This is coming from the man who gets out a bowl of generic lucky charms whenever he has to 'fend for himself'. I was shocked. Then, in the morning...he made me breakfast in bed with sparkling grape juice. I wore my new dress and after church, went to my parents' house and had the best steak I had ever tasted, the sweetest watermelon ever, and you guess it-white chocolate rasberry birthday cake that Matt made for me. So, somehow, I cheated time and had TWO days worth of birthday magic.

But the best part was Matt working so hard, putting forth time, effort and thought just to make my day special. I don't ever remember being treated so wonderfully as he did for my birthday...my prince.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

I am glad to hear of your practically-perfect-in-every-way day, and I am thoroughly impressed not only by Matt's culinary skills but by the fact that he was able to keep them a secret! Here's a toast to you for your 23rd and to your prince for acting so princely. (Mmmm, and now I'm really quite hungry.)

p.s. Is that your new dress in the photo? You look lovely.

Abigail said...

p.s. Don't you hate it when I forget something until after I've posted the first? I do! :)

I now have to tweak your letter. Birthday decorations are in order!

Rebecca said...

Thank you for the compliment!Actually, that dress used to be my mothers. Matt needed me to run to the store for toothpicks so I decided to go on foot and enjoy myself. alf way there it started to rain-and so after getting his precious toothpicks, I sprinted home. Yikes! It was a BAD reminder of my highschool mile run days. Ugh! Anyway-I was drenched and HOT so I ran upstairs and threw on my most comfortable and airy outfit.
Yep-Matt is in trouble now! I don't know how he'll ever manage now that I know his secret!