What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Our Night in Costume....

The weekend was busy busy busy...but now that it is over, I am bored! On Friday night, Matt came home from work totally stressed out and decided he wanted to go to his parents' house. He took Corynn so that she could see Grandma and Grandpa whom she hadn't seen in a few weeks. They spent the night-which was the first night I was away from Corynn. I didn't want to go to bed without Matt so I stayed up until midnight, then finally sleep came. The one opportunity I had to sleep in without a bouncy two year old running into my bed as I was fast asleep and saying, an inch from my face, "Good Mornin!" I ruined with thoughts about her not being here. I ended up waking up earlier than if she WAS here. I had no one but myself to make breakfast, no one but myself to get dressed, no one but myself to worry about-and I hated every minute of it! Saturday was the party-and I spent most of Saturday preparing for it. I planned on taking some pictures of the decorations and the food-they were pretty cool if I do say so myself....and even more pictures of everyone playing games-but being a hostess has so many responsibilities-I was able to snap pictures of all the costumed couples and that was IT. We had lots of creative people-from gypsies to pumpkins-to hippies. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the kids but among them were a half-dressed lion (that was Corynn), a gorilla, a crocodile, a fireman, cowboys and cowgirls, a soldier, a bunny, a brave knight, a skunk, a cow, a dog, Clifford: THE big red dog!

Lots of fun stuff was on the food and drink table. There was putrid punch-with gummy worms frozen inside ice cubes. I made these hideous and grotesque looking soft pretzel ladies' fingers to dip in a double decker pizza dip (I really wanted to get a picture of those-they were truly more disgusting to make than anything I had ever made before...and I almost lost my stomach contents several times in the process), a chicken BBQ dip, we had apples with caramal dip, pumpkin crisp squares, and popcorn balls-not to mention a chocolate cake Samantha made, sloppy joe stuff Elizabeth brought, and a veggie platter from Wendy. There was plenty of food-but what always surprises me-is that no matter how much food is made-it is also always consumed without leftovers.

It was really funny getting Corynn dressed up. I had dressed up as my masquerade Peacock while she was napping-so she was amazed to see my face all painted when she awoke. Then she wanted hers done too. Because she was a lion, I colored her nose in with black, made lion lips and whiskers and had her looking so cute-all the while she was facing me and giggling in eager anticipation. Then, she turned around, looked in the mirror and started screaming..."TOWEL MAMA! TOWEL! NO!!!" She wanted her face PRETTY with glitter and everything-and was thoroughly offended that I had done such a horrific thing to her face. I had to quickly wipe it off, then she took the lion hat off-refusing to wear it again the rest of the night. So-she looked a pretty sad lion. Hopefully, I can convince her to put the hat on this weekend so I can get some good photos.

The night of the party was the first night we had turned on the heat-and I don't know if it is coincidence or what-but now I have a horrible cold! I have probably used up two boxes of tissues in two days. And I am on to the throat losenges now.

Anyway-enjoy the photos..there are LOTS!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh! So glad you put up the photos! I liked looking at all of them. I took a few of Stephen and Matthew. If they come out, I will send them to you!

By the way, when did your cold start? The kids and I have colds, too. We all started feeling poorly Monday eve...

Rebecca said...

It was Monday for me too-though it started in the morning. I half wonder if it was because we turned the heat on and I wasn't used to it or something. That sounds silly-and it probably is, but I had to find SOME reason. Heaven forbid I get sick and not know why! ;-)

Abigail said...

Thanks for the snaps! I always love going to parties vicariously. Everyone looks so fun, and, of course I have to mention the food. Deeelicious! Recipes, please? (Actually, I could just get them next time we're down, especially with your dwindling Internet availability. Sigh.)

With snow in the forecast all week and the girls running around the house in hats, mittens, and blue lips, we just turned on the heat a night ago. I'm now on guard for illness.... :)

Rebecca said...

I thought we were good! You have got us beat! And what's more-you have snow? There was 5-8 inches surrounding us on all sides-but all we have seen so far was rain. I am going to look into an electric stove for the living room-they have them at Lowes for under $100.00. I just need to compare electric costs versus oil. If it is cheaper-we may use that to heat our living room. Our rice door stops and a blanket going up the stairs are all in place ready to selfishly hoard our heat! :-)

Abigail said...

Nope, we've no snow yet! I didn't mean to deceive. We just have had a good forecast chance of getting snow without having gotten any yet.

We'll probably buy a small space heater for our bedroom this winter, so that we can close it off during most of the day, and just turn on the space heater when the girls take their naps. Plus, when Baby arrives in midwinter, I don't want him/her to turn into an ice cube.

My parents have always used small (about 12" x 8") Polonis heaters in the upstairs bedrooms because the heat from the wood stove in the basement doesn't reach the top floor that well. They are energy efficient and do a great job of heating up the bedrooms, but I don't know how they'd work for a more open space.