What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, May 21, 2007

What do YOU think?

Posted by Picasa

The shower this weekend was a HUGE success. Very fun. The Bride-to-be was stunning and her house is going to be OVERFLOWING. It was an intense four hour long present opening time. She got some GREAT stuff.

All these weddings have got me to thinking about the unions of these young couples, of my marriage, and of the sacred covenant of marriage in general. Matt and I will be celebrating our fifth year of marriage this year and they have been the happiest years of my life.

If you had ONE word of wisdom or bit of advice, WHAT would you say the most important thing you can do to strengthen your marriage would be?

To answer my own question, I would probably say that you should always build your spouse up. Compliment him, make time and show genuine interest in the things he does, thank him for the things he does. Build him up. Make him feel good about himself.

Of course, the Bible also says to not the sun go down on your anger. That is an important one too. Forgiveness. Not holding on to bitterness, rage, or anger.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Lori said...

I love all your words of wisdom.

We just had my sisters wedding on Saturday. It was beautiful.
You'll have to come over to my blog to check out the slideshow if you have time.

Anyway, we had her shower a month or so ago too and they had a book were you listed words of wisdom too.
I can't remember what I wrote down.
I think it was about communicating with your spouse and spending time with him whenever you get the chance.

Jthemilker said...

Always keep God first. When you feel far from your spouse it is time to rekindle your relationship with the Lord. Works every time!

Anonymous said...

Remember why you married him and preservere

Anonymous said...

Keep God first & foremost in your lives. Use His word as your guide for your marriage & go to it to work through ALL things.
Victoria =)

Bonnie said...

Do your devotions and pray together! I honestly believe that is why we rarely get into arguments. We've been married just over 3 years, and I can count the non-petty arguments on one hand.
It does help that we are both very laid back, but we started doing our daily devotions together from the get-go, and I know that has played a large part of our happy marriage!

Bonnie said...

Well, maybe noy so much arguing, as disagreeing (sp?)

Lady of the house said...

After 10 years, the best advice I can give (take myself) would be to never read more into what your husband is saying. I still find myself taking something he says and imagining that he meant more. This is the root of most of our disagreements, etc. Over the years, fewer have arose, thanks to my having figured this out -- finally!

Anonymous said...

After nine years, it's taken me a very long time to learn the importance of prayer. Pray for your spouse.
It is through prayer that we learn not only how to better encourage & stengthen our spouse, but God also reveals a deeper love & respect. It is also through prayer that we learn of our own short-comings because it is during this personal communion with God that He opens our eyes to see more than just ourselves. Prayer is the most effective and powerful tool you can use in marriage to shape yourself, your spouse & your marriage to GOD'S expectation rather than our own.
Pray. Pray. Pray.

r said...

In addition to all of the above, here's my idea based on 20 years of marriage:

Work on your own faults, not on his. Make it your business to improve yourself, and leave the business of improving *him* to himself.

Rebecca said...

EXCELLENT words of wisdom everyone! Thanks for all your input! So many wonderful things to contemplate!

Heather K said...

I think you're right! that's what I think!