What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

JOY in waiting

Posted by Picasa
For three nights now, contractions have stirred my emotions and constricted my belly (and mind) into believing that "tonight is the night". I would go to bed, fully assured that the four hours of mild contractions would turn into painful contractions in the night and a trip to the birthing center would be inevitable by morning.
Three nights, I have fallen asleep, prepared and ready. Three nights I have fallen asleep in anticipation of meeting this wee bundle. Three nights I have tried to prepare Matt for what was to come.
Three mornings, I have woken up rested-contractions gone.
Now babies are being born everywhere~ friends are meeting their precious bundles (Leah and Bonnie) even friends cousins-go visit, and CONGRATULATE!)~ and my typical "3 weeks early" delivery is laughing in my face.
I feel very confident that this Bunkin in my oven is a boy, because only a little BOY could be so insufferable to his Mama.
It wouldn't be so bad, naturally, if I hadn't of rushed about completing my Bunkin List
(ironically, the day after my first "scare"-and yes, that first bout of contractions WAS a scare, because nary a thing was ready!)

Before, I WANTED to push back the delivery until I was able to finally get things accomplished. Now, all things are set. Tidy. Waiting. Anticipating.

Meanwhile, I am sitting, twiddling my thumbs...trying not be impatient for Bunkin to GET HERE ALREADY.

Yes. I have 9 more days to go until my "due date". But my due date has always been wrong, and I took entirely too much comfort in that. Foolish me.

Never has there been a more potent opportunity to find JOY in waiting. I must remember: Life is ABOUT waiting. WAITING actually makes life MORE miraculous, MORE cherished, and MORE exciting.

Waiting for babies.
Waiting for a new home.
Waiting for electricity.
Waiting for running water.
Waiting for HOT water.
Waiting for a stove.
Waiting for the dust to settle.

Yes, I've done my fair share of waiting this year. (You'd THINK I'd be pretty good at it by now. HA!) Looking back, each milestone once reached, meant all the more to us. We ate like kings those first weeks with a cookstove. I relished every hot drop that cascaded down my body when a hot shower was once again available. Water never tasted so wonderful as the day it poured from our own faucet. The house seemed all the more mansion-ish when we could extend and stretch our lives out of the one room we lived in.

Yes. Waiting made those things all the more valuable. I will find JOY in waiting.

I can do this.

I CAN do this.

10 comments:

Girl Scout Mama said...

I remeber when I was excepating with my first, She was almost 2 weeks late. So I know how you feel, But good things come to those who wait. Just wait before you know it you'll be holding your sweet little bunkin in your arms.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My daughter had just the opposite happen when her daughter, Faith, was born.

Her first two children were a couple weeks late and Faith's due date was July 4th. We all thought it would be so cute to have a 4th of July baby but Stephanie kept telling us it wouldn't happen for she is ALWAYS very late.

Yes, Faith decided to be born on her due date. Knowing her now for three years, I find that does not surprise me for she is our bouncy "Tigger-type" grandchild who can't wait for anything.

Her fourth child was once again two weeks late so we know there is something special about Faithy.

Praying for a healthy and easy delivery, a healthy baby and daddy and siblings. :)

Bonnie said...

You, my dear are using your time wisely. I, however squandered mine thinking I would be late if I went full term, and as you read, still thinking I had plenty of time to spare the day before Rachel was born. So Take Joy (to quote Tasha T.), as you are and I'm praying it will be soon, and I am thankful that you were able to get so much done- how comforting!
I LOVE the babynook, it is beautiful, and I am rather jealous. Rachel has been relegated to the playpen, jammed in a corner because I didn't get the cradle brought up.
And the coming home outfit- darling!
Oh, my emailed you my email.

Little Towhee said...

What an exciting time! Your descriptions cause me to reminisce about my own L&D/waiting experiences. . . I hope you are most comfy during your wait. The crib and outfit are sweet! Just gorgeous!

The dB family said...

You CAN do it! I've been on, over, and early, so with #4 there was no telling when she would arrive -- except that I was induced.

Keeping you and Bunkin in my prayers that all will continue to go well.

PS I loved your post about your family. I now know why I was sometimes so confused when you posted about your family. Thanks for clearing that up :o).

Tracy said...

Enjoy the last moments as a family of four. Each moment spent with your already here two will never be hte same. Sweet still, yes, but never again how it is just now.

Charree said...

I am praying for you. I hope that all continues to go well.

You have an award on my blog. I enjoy your blog so much and the different ideas you share.

~Charree

Grandma Bibby said...

Waiting is good for the soul. And now you are ready for this little one; you can give the others some time before you get even busier. "But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Andie said...

I was busy for a few days...and so were you. Such beautiful pictures, and words. You CAN do this...and since your last post was Tuesday (and today is Thursday), I am tempted to believe you already have!! You have, and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Blessings to you...all 5 of you!
Andie

Christine said...

The nursery looks gorgeous! My first two were late. Anastasia completely surprised me by coming a day early. ;) Praying for a blessed birth. I am so thrilled that you will be able to hold your bundle of joy, very soon!