What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, June 15, 2009

Them good eats


I'm getting really bad at recording milestones for my third wee one.

Of course, if I think about it, I wasn't really great at it with my second.

Or my first, for that matter.



An undetermined, very vague "while ago", Miss Adyay (as Panda calls her) started waking up in the wee hours of the morning and I knew it was time.

Babes waking up in the wee hours after sleeping soundly for months has always been the cloodle I needed to begin "real food".


So I began and she loves it. Every single bite.

So this.....



has been my very best friend these days.

I do use some cereals, but I don't "do" storebought baby food because-well, it's gross. If I wouldn't eat, I won't have my children eat it and have you ever tasted baby food turkey before?

yuck.

It saves on food bills and recycling too.

I've always prefered just giving them what we have. Things with flavor. And texture.



It's a shot in the dark, mind you, but I wonder if this handy food grinder is the reason I have never had a picky eater and never had a gaggy baby. I'm only on my third child, so I could always be surprised in the future...but so far so good.

Introducing the texture early and the varieties of flavor that home-flavored foods provide MAY have something to do with it!

Besides, it's pretty cool that my not-quite seven month old loves fresh strawberries and avocado.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I can't see your photos!! Glad Adele enjoys her food though. Kaje xx

Riahli said...

I absolutly agree with you that the homemade babyfood, plus making it heathy and delicious, makes for a great eater. I did this with all three of my kids and they are all great eaters. :)

Jerelene said...

I preferred making my own too..mine all loved mashed bananas. I'm glad she's enjoying the food!! She sure is sweet!
Jerelene

Unknown said...

My SIL had one of those masher things and LOVED it! I will have to try it! I just mashed up whatever we were eating after my first baby...and the yucky jar baby food!

Anonymous said...

I can see the photos now! She is truly adorable! Kaje xx

Jennifer said...

She is such a beautiful baby....and you capture her in photos so well. Do you mind my asking what kind of camera you use? I am considering saving for a new one, but would like some suggestions.

Chris said...

Right there with you on the homemade baby food. I can't believe what people will pay for such a little bit of bland mush!

Only one of mine has ended up picky (out of 7). Not too bad!

Andie said...

I had one of those grinders, never purchased any baby food except the cereal. However, mine are all 3 picky..don't know how that happened! But the rule in our house is that you take a "thank-you" bite even if you don't care for it. Then Momma or Daddy can decide if you've eaten enough (usually the # of bites for how old you are). I try to serve at least one thing for each meal that I know they will all eat.
When I was doing baby food, I would make a whole bunch of one thing (applesauce, peas, etc) and put them into ice cube trays to freeze. Made it oh-so-convenient!!

Blessings-
Andie