What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Reading List 2010


My "Reading Hopefuls" for the coming year :
(I will be adding to this list as I find books ** recommendations welcome**)

Bread & Butter Journey
by Ann Colver
The Spirit of Loveliness by Emilie Barnes
Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places by L. L. Barkat
The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer
Rad­i­cal Wom­an­hood: Fem­i­nine Faith in a Fem­i­nist World by Car­olyn McCulley
The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children by Sally Clarkson
Autobiography of George Muller by, you guessed it: George Muller
Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges
Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs
Blessed Are the Hungry by Peter J. Leithart
Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson
Paedofaith by Rich Lusk
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
So Much More by Anna Sofia Botkin; Elizabeth Botkin
Keeping Good Company: A Season-by-Season Collection of Recipes, with Entertaining and Homemaking Ideas by Roxie kelley and friends and Shelly Reeves Smith
The Orchard: A Memoir by Adele Crockett Robertson
The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking by Laurel Robertson
Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell by Leslie Probert and Lisa Harkness
My Mother's Garden by Penelope Hobhouse
No Ordinary Home: The Uncommon Art of Christ Centered Homemaking by Carol Brazzo.
Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule
The Creative Home by Amanda Blake Soule
EXPRESSIONS: Your behind-the-camera guide by Donna Smylie
Living Simply: Choosing Less in a World of More by Joanne Heim
Womanly Dominion: More Than A Gentle and Quiet Spirit by Mark Chanski
Put More Cash in Your Pocket: Turn What You Know into Dough by Loral Langemeier
The Heart of Homeschooling: Teaching and Living what Really Matters by Christopher Klicka
Children Who Do Too Little by Patricia Sprinkle
Your Backyard Herb Garden by Miranda Smith
Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling by Mary Pride
The Three R's by Ruth Beechick
Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling by John Caldwell Holt
Bread and Board by Robert Farrer Capon
Letters to An American Lady by C.S.Lewis
Common Sense 101 by G.K Chesterton
What's Wrong with the World by G.K.Chesterton
The Transfigured Life by J.R.Miller
In Green Pastures by J.R.Miller
The American Frugal Housewife by Lydia Child
A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman
Living With Less So Your Family Has More by Jill and Mark Savage
The Well Ordered Home by Kathleen Tackett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I have read so far :
(by month)

JANUARY::
  • A Different Kind of Teacher by John Taylor Gatto (*awesome dawesome book*)
  • Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss (*how a punctuation book can be humorous, I will never know, but L.T. succeeds!)
  • Real Food by Nina Planck (*awesome food information yet it does distastefully ram evolution down your throat.)
FEBRUARY::
  • A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg (not what I expected or hoped for, but has some recipes I look forward to trying out.)
  • Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich
  • The Way Home by Mary Pride
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over by Pam Anderson (*great recipes...and a great resource for hospitality)
  • Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (family read-aloud. We've read it twice. Andrew (3) is enthralled.)

MARCH::
  • All the Way Home by Mary Pride
  • Little House in the Ozarks: A collection of rediscovered writings by Laura Ingalls Wilder (*ok. This is like the 5th time I have read it, but it can't be helped. It is my favorite book of all time! For those of you who know the author from her Little House Series for children/families, this book (despite the title) is not a childrens book but rather a collection of published articles she wrote for newspapers. It covers then-modern issues such as women voting, womanly roles, government, etc.)
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money by Steve Economides
  • The Big Book of Home Learning by Mary Pride **This is more catalog format and was, in my opinion, outdated. Sadly. Because it WOULD have been a wealth of resources.
APRIL::
MAY ::
JUNE ::
  • What our Mother's Didn't Tell Us: Why Happiness eludes the modern woman by Danielle Crittenden (my review here)
  • The Wheel on the School by Meindert De Jong (family re-aloud. A story set in a fishing village of Holland where the school children work out ways to bring Storks to their village. Really enjoyed.)
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home by Ina Garten (love this lady. lots)
  • For the Childrens' Sake by Susan Shaeffer Macauley (finally finished. Fabulous book. A MUST read. One of my new favorites)
July ::
  • Home-making by J.R.Miller (in process and already love it. Want Matt and I to read together sometime)
  • The Wedding Photographers Handbook by Bill Hurtel
  • Blue Ribbon Winners: Americas best state fair recipes by Catherine Hanley
  • Step-by-Step Wedding Photography: Techniques for Professional Photographer by Damon Tucci (very helpful book)
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B.White (family read aloud: Andrew's pick (age 4). Classic)
August :: (oops. forgot to record when I finished. So I will likely forget a few...)
  • Sewing Green by Betz White (great projects. Want to do MOST of them. Puppy hat and blanket. Tree branch door windbreaker. Ugh-can't remember them all!)
  • Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris (phenomenal book. Every teen/preteen should read it. So glad that I did, even though I don't fit into that category.)
September:: (you can tell I had a baby this month...)
  • For the Family's Sake: The Value of Home in Everyone's Life by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay (not as good as For the Childrens' sake, but still good.)
October::
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis (family read aloud)
  • Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling

November ::
  • The Magician's Nephew by C.S.Lewis (family read aloud)

5 comments:

MameyJane said...

Thanks so much for posting this list! You've given me some great ideas :).

My Emma has the same dress as Adele in the top pic!

Leah said...

What a great list! I'll have to find some of these books and read them myself! Oh, The Family and Home-Making by J.R. Miller are the same book. It was just republished under the new title The Family. I'm not sure why. And I think you're going to really like So Much More by the Botkin sisters. It's an awesome book!!! Would you be willing to do book reviews on the books you read? It would be great to hear what you thought of each book! :)

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

"Respectable Sins", "Womanly Dominion", and "For the Children’s Sake" - SO good! And, I also just recently finished "So Much More". Also good...very thought-provoking! Our Sunday School class went through "Love and Respect" a few years ago...I wasn't a huge fan, but I was in the minority.

Several of the books you mentioned are on my list for this year, too!! And, I found a few new titles to add!! :) Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

Mamey Jane~ NO WAY! That is so cool. Is yours smocked on front? I always thought that was a handmade dress I got at Sallies!

Leah~ If a book really thrills me I will probably write up a short review separately. Either way, I plan to write a sentence or two on each book completed on this list and I will republish it at years' end to share how I did and what I liked/disliked. PS. Thanks for the information about that J.R. Miller book-I didn't know that!

Veronica~ooh good! I am even more excited to try those out! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

GREAT list...I should make one of these...I have like 5 piles of books sitting around the house...*snicker*
Just FYI, I think I read the Creative Home one by Amanda Blake Soule and it was kinda new age-y....I was disappointed! :( Just a heads up...if it turns out to be an awesome, wonderful-ish sorta book, just remember people from blog land can't be trusted! HAHA! :)

Blessings!