What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 18, 2010

Why does it feel like someone is watching me?

Miss Adele' has been uncharacteristically fussy lately...and exceptionally clingy toward me. Not sure what her deal is-maybe something physical like teething or maybe something emotional-like she is heading into the Mama stage or something. Who knows.

I can't say that I mind it too much. I love cuddly babies and I love to feel loved. But SOMETIMES, I just have work to do! :-)

The other morning, while the older two chilluns were upstairs playing and the baby was playing in the schoolroom I decided to pop myself into the shower for a quick bit o' clean.

I hadn't even taken off my clothes before I heard Adele' crying and crawling toward the bathroom door. HEAVEN FORBID I LEAVE THE ROOM SHE IS IN!!!! I figured Corynn would come get her like she always does--that girl comes running if Adele' so much as breaths the wrong way.

Apparently, I hadn't latched the door properly because Adele' crawled right in and pulled back first the fabric shower curtain and then the plastic liner.

And she stood there. WATCHING me. the entire time I showered.

First of all~ can I just say how WEIRD it is to know eyes are on you while you are showering??! I don't CARE if those eyes are only a year old. It is weird.

Second of all~water was pouring all over her and she didn't CARE. She was dripping wet by the time I was done, from head to toe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I had a boatload of dishes to do the other day and the children were outside playing, I turned on some music to get motivated and dunked my hands in. Within seconds Adele had come over to me, crawled up the back of my legs~holding the backs of my pants while crying to be picked up. Of course, I couldn't do that. But she wouldn't stop.

So I plopped her on the counter next to me.

No-I didn't have a special seat to plop her in. I didn't tie her down. I plopped her there as one last attempt before laying her down to sleep. (Again.)

She just sat there-watching me. Staring at me. She didn't move. She didn't make any noise. Just watched.

Hey-works for me.


I washed out a straw and she chomped on that for a while. But she stayed up there the entire time I cleaned the kitchen. For a GOOD 20 minutes or so.



It's nice to feel loved.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Plumpkin is to some degree doing the same thing (and right afterward, I discovered she had popped 3 molars). She's a little less clingy now, but it makes me wonder if they are sensing the changes due to pregnancy. Hmm. I'll have to think on that one a bit more.
The shower thing cracked me up, yes, that would've been weird. I wish I could pop her up on the counter, but I think our cupboards hang to low...

Amanda said...

That's both cute and creepy, LOL.

I've abandonned all hopes of ever going to the bathroom by myself again.

MameyJane said...

Hmm...I can remember my Emma going through the same stage a couple of months ago, at 15 months. But then I was just weaning her and I think she was going through the withdrawal process, if ya know what I mean. It is incredibly frustrating and exhausting!! Just in the last month, Emma has actually let other people hold her. She is even jealous of her Daddy sitting beside me! I feel your frustration!

Unknown said...

I love that photo of you washing up with Adele on the side -- it's so homey and real. And yes, I remember when Boo was terribly clingy (so long ago!) I sometimes felt I had an extra limb attached, one which I had to take everywhere with me!

Teresa said...

The counter is the favorite place to sit for my 4yr old girl. She is too short to see or work at the counter so she sits up there. Have a great day!

Shanna said...

Funny, I can't remember the last time I took a shower without my current one year old or two year old in the room. At least I don't have to worry about what they are getting into while I'm bathing!

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

My little girl does the same thing...always wanting to be with me constantly.

Jerelene said...

She just loves you so much Mommy :)
The pictures of her sitting there watching you do the dishes are adorable...at least she doesnt scream for you to literally hold her..so it could be worse..I had one that stayed attached to my leg..literally. She sure is a beautiful little girl....you are one lucky Mommy :)
Love, Jerelene

Anonymous said...

I loved this post and these photos so much that I'm done with the computer tonight cause this just can't be topped. . . Your girl is precious, and you've captured an everyday sort of event for a stay-at-home mama in an extraordinary way. It speaks to me deeply.

Emily

Wendy said...

Oh yes...I remember Isaac doing this about 2 months when Esther was to be due. He was Daddys boy up until then, and then he just started holding my hand and it was only ME who could comfort/love him. I enjoyed it...and I just know he sensed change! I know he did!