What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Changing Seasons



Last night was an October sky: the vibrant orange, then pink, then purple cascading over mountains and trees and bathing everything and everyone in gold and it was then that I realized summer was over. Moreso than the dying garden, the cold barefeet, the morning shivers and the crinkling leaves, that one magnificent sky opened my eyes to it.

Everywhere around me I see signs of the changing seasons.

The chickens are molting; the rooster has only one proud arched feather in back to strut around. The garden is taking its' last gasping breathes before dying an October death. My basil finally gave in. Warm breakfasts are preferred to cold. My typical barefeet seem constantly chilled.

The responsibilities of a new baby. A family of six. Two "schooled" children, instead of one. Trying in vain to lose baby weight, 30 pounds of it.

My blog is quiet for weeks at a time.

Life happens; moments, days and seasons change right under my sniffing nose. I really don't intend upon staying away from Renaissance for so long, but the longer I stay away, the easier it becomes~ which is surprising, even to me. When I begin to worry that no one will want to visit this blog if I stay away for a week at a time, I take a breath and comfort myself knowing that even still, all is as it should be because life OUGHT to take precedence over recording memories. A life lived is more important than a life preserved for posterity.

So I will be here when I can, and only then; and you faithful few, who continue to visit despite my absences are the visits I will cherish most of all.

October and this new season of Newman~ I am finally ready for you.

Allow me to catch myself up:

SINCE I LAST WROTE....

* the leaves not only began to change but began what MUST have been their color peak. Alas, I didn't have my camera the day I noticed and the next day (and since) it has rained, knocking vibrance to the ground to be trod upon.

* we made grand messes in the kitchen


* I made the most delicious peanut butter swirl cookies and then gave them all away.

* I thanked the me I was a few months ago, the girl who popped some extra pie crust into the freezer after making a double batch for no reason. Chicken Potpie is made so much faster when the dough is right there handy.

* A Judah-party was given by my sister. It was too fun to take pictures of.


* I greedily have taken hourly sniffs in the neck of my delicious boy

* I have become so frustrated with life that I could have screamed countless times. Oh-that's right. I DID scream. Ironically, it is the life that is lived outside these four walls that infuriates me so.

* I have begun walking/jogging-methinks in part to counteract said frustrations. Unfortunately, ice cream has also been consumed for the same reasons.

* School has officially started and been eased into, and somewhere along the line I got myself a new student. Our school days aren't all that I have planned for them to be just yet, but I am happily confident that it will be before too long.


*I discovered a boy who scribbled a few months ago has turned into quite the perfectionist recently!

* My Judah boy has finally begun consistently giving me a full nights' sleep, the latest all-night sleeper I have had to date but admittedly, still blessedly young.

* I cleaned the childrens' room (with their help). No more stinky socks hanging out in toy baskets or dust bunnies under the bed.


* Began the exhausting chore of changing summer to fall clothing out. Two oldest children are complete. One more child and two adults to go.

* Watched a girl fall on her forehead no less than five times.

* we added more animals to our ever expanding farm. This time, RABBITS. I won't tell you what is in store for their babies, I don't feel comfortable with it at all.

* Bugs of all kinds have come inside to find themselves in the comfort of home. (I don't feel comfortable with this, either.)



* Tried to savor the last of my own tomatoes. Salads daily. Bruschetta tonight. Soon those garden garnets will be gone and things won't be the same without them.

* Handmedown knits have made their appearances.


* leaf piles are the newest game. When it isn't raining cats and dogs.

* I remembered what it was like to fall asleep in a perfectly tidy bedroom. Sweeter dreams were my reward for hard work.

* Matt and I went to visit a struggling brother sans older children. The visit was tragic and sweet, all rolled into one.

* had a princess help with pears


* admired Oma's threadbare apron, buried in gold


* Our winter-wood got all split, much of it as a surprise to us by Matts' dad. ?!?! Wonderful man!

* Made stovetop kettle corn. Delicious.

* Got into John Taylor Gatto's head once more, always an enlightening trip.

* Did a Senior session


*Laughed at how babies suck any bare skin available to them~ no matter that it is an arm or a shoulder or a neck.

* It has been (and still is) raining torrents.

15 comments:

Terri said...

Sounds like you are very busy, yet fulfilled. I love your pictures as usual, Rebecca!

Full of Grace said...

That was my very favorite sweater of Christiana's She wore it till she really couldn't wear it anymore, the sleeves were almost to her elbows- it was wonderful to see Adele' wear it and it's unisex so hopefully I'll be able to see Judah wear it too! :)

Full of Grace said...

Oh, and I forgot...The pic of Samantha is beautiful as I knew it would be- looking forward to seeing the rest tomorrow from the CD! :)

Shanzanne said...

I will always read your blog... however infrequent. So glad you're a mama that realizes what is important.

Nanci said...

It is always the things outside our four walls that always frustrate and infuriate me most. When I was very young, a wise woman told me, "If heaven is our heavenly home, then our home should be our earthly heaven." Those are words I have remembered often.

Your posts are always a joy to me as I peek in on you, but there is joy in knowing that you are absent from Renaissance because you are tending your earthly heaven, making it a haven for those you love, and that is very good.

Love and hugs to all,

Nanci

Mrs. Bowen said...

I always enjoy reading...no matter how long I wait. Real life comes first.

Mrs. Bowen

MameyJane said...

What a refreshing visit, dear bloggy friend :). Thank you for letting us inside your home and your days.

Mar said...

I will always come back to check for a periodic update but I won't always expect one. That is okay because you are doing what is important and
i can wait. Good things are worth the wait.

Unknown said...

Just post when you can...we DO TOTALLY understand no matter how much we hound you. ;) This is such a lovely newsy post and the photos are delightful! Thank you!!! The basil one at the top is neat...what a creative idea...

Blessings from my little fam of 6 to your little fam of 6! :D

Cochran Clan News said...

I TREASURE you and your posts. The fewer, the more special they become. Love to you and your family.
Janey

Bonnie said...

Beautiful, all of it.

Babies and bare skin is right! Jeremiah usually has his mouth open and tongue out, just incase something yummy is near.

Amy pretty much summed up my thoughts, we miss you but can relate.
Joy!
Bonnie

Rosemary said...

The reason I come to read your blog is your love of family. Delicous babies, cherished children, and loving parents. You have your priorities straight, and I admire that. The blog will always be here, and we will always check-in. Your children, however, will grow so quickly, you do not want to miss one, precious moment with them. Your online friend, Nonna Rosa

Lindsey's Photographs said...

I agree with the other ladies. I will be checking in. You are so increadibly blessed. YOur blog reminds me to slow down and really cherish those little things. Mabey I need to make these little thankful blogs! There wonderful. :) Hang in there. life with 4 is busy! We have 4, dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys. ANd sometimes I think there is no way I can do it. But the Lord is faithful and always there.

Alyssa Spring said...

I always love your blog and you're on my blogroll so I'll always come back. :)

Mama to 12, so far said...

I have that same apron on your little girl! So sweet.

You are one busy momma!

Hugs...I have been there.