What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, September 06, 2010

A Labor Day Story

Since it is Labor Day, I figured now is a perfectly fitting time to share Smoochs' and my "Labor Story".

It's only right, right?

( ...except labor day came and went before I finished this post, so now it isn't anymore. oops. )

Anyone who squirms at the words "dilation" or "mucous plug" may want to skip this post. Just so's ya know...


Tuesday was a busy day for me and as usual, I began having contractions before bedtime. By 2 in the morning, I was "certain" they were real so we called Matt's parents. At 2 am. They drove down to stay with the children. At 2 am. We headed to the hospital. At 2 am.

By 4 am, the "real" contractions had stopped, and despite my very-unfrugal and irrational desire to sleep at a hotel so as not to face Matt's parents, we came home. Since his parents had taken our bed, Matt and I snuggled together on our couch, my feet by his head and his feet by mine~sharing the one lone blanket we keep downstairs. Needless to say, didn't get much (cough, cough...ANY) sleep that night.

It was NOT fun facing everyone in the morning sans baby.

Wednesday passed quickly enough~I went shopping and met up with my sister at Chuckie Cheese to take my mind off of castor oil and come-alongs. That night, Matt and I watched a movie and somewhere between America and Paris, contractions began again. I decided right then and there that there was ain't NO WAY I was gonna call my in-laws again until I actually lost my mucous plug. I would NOT be faked out again. I would NOT wake those poor people up for nothing. I would NOT look like an IDIOT who has had three babies before and can't tell what constitutes REAL labor. I would NOT. I would NOT.

We headed to bed at 10:30 and I was keeping my contractions a secret. Because they weren't REAL, after all. They never ARE. But for some odd reason, I couldn't lay down flat. It hurt too much. Matt fell asleep next to me as I tried reading. Pretty soon, it hurt too much to read too. SO I went downstairs. In my head I wondered if it might be the time, but No. No blood. No mucous plug. "I am NOT going to call ANYONE without seeing blood." said I, trying to convince myself. SO I walked around the house. Again and again and again. It didn't take long before I began talking to myself through contractions. I decided to take a shower and then, if they were still coming as hard and fast as they were, THEN I would call. Twice I nearly keeled over in the shower. I decided to let Matt call.

Of course he said.... "Have you started bleeding? Tell me about your contractions."

Now the man was well meaning, but to a very-pained, in-labor woman....that was just plain condescending. I said something like "I don't care if you believe me or not~I am in labor and I am NOT waiting for bleeding anymore. CALL YOUR PARENTS." It was 12: 30 am.

I knew I was in trouble when a very short time later, I couldn't talk through my contractions and instead began to grunt. When I realized I was verbally reassuring myself after a contraction I realized I had waited too long.

Matt's parents took FOR.EVER. to get here. They got to our house at 1:00 am.

And the car ride to the hospital took lightyears. Then, I couldn't talk at all after a contraction and I began to think "It's too late. It's too late. We aren't going to make it. I feel like I could...." and then a contraction would begin again making me lose all train of thought.

We got to the hospital and praise God-someone happened to be out there with a wheelchair. I couldn't walk anymore. We rushed up to the birthing center and screamed my birthday to someone and got ourselves a room. The nurses knew I wasn't kidding. The wheelchair never stopped.

My shorts somehow came off me and I flung myself on the bed. It was 1:23 in the morning on September 2nd.

Corynn's birthday.

The only day I hoped the baby WOULDN'T come.

The nurse checked me while Matt went to get me some water. I remember the nurses saying in panicked tones that the midwives were all at home and I was fully dilated, fourth baby. I remember telling Matt I was fully dilated and him saying "Well, the baby can't come YET, your water hasn't broken." And then I remember saying "This baby is coming! Right, stinkin', now."

And then, there he was....at 1:30 in the morning.

Exactly 7 minutes after arriving.

I never did get my midwife, the nurses delivered... but I did get a pretty amazing child.

Judah Benjamin tipped the scales and caused all sorts of exclamations when he weighed in at 10 pounds, 11 ounces (HOLY COW). A whole two pounds bigger than my biggest child. That is just W.R.O.N.G. He was 22 3/4 inches long.

He doesn't fit into the newborn diapers I bought for him or the hospital provided and he has skipped right over size 0-3 months. The going home outfit I made him cut off his circulation. Well, that's not true~ the spit-up cloth fit.

My adrenaline was on high gear so I never did sleep during what was left of the morning. I never did sleep throughout the day and the next night, when my exhaustion finally caught up with me, Judah decided to wake up and keep me up all night, so I didn't sleep then either. I *maybe*, very liberally, got 6 hours of sleep over a four day period.

Because he was delivered so fast, poor little Judah had some asphyxiation problems due to all the amniotic fluid that did not get squeezed out of him during delivery. The nurses had to shake him up for quite a while before I even got to hold him~ and throughout the following day he would throw up huge amounts of fluid, then choke on the mucous. The worst was when he turned gray and deathly looking and stopped breathing~when the nurses grabbed him and ran to the nursery to shove a suction tube down his throat and then put him on oxygen. That was an incredibly scary time. When nurses run with your gray baby without saying anything to you...it is your LIFE they are running with, and you can only follow and pray.

Praise God we haven't had any more scares like that.

That is the story of how our He-man came to be.

It was an odd time to have a baby, this early in the morning. (The nurses even wrote the wrong day on the bracelets as some of you observant people already noticed). Matt fell asleep and I didn't want to wake him (plus, I was *trying* to sleep) so the lights were out for the wee early morning hours and then visitors came, choking kept happened, we blinked and our stay was over. I hardly took any photos at all (completely unlike me.) I never got a single picture of Judah and I after birth (sniff). I love those shots most of all. It was nothing like this time, that's for sure. These are the measly few photographs that I did get. Is that not ridiculous?


Judah slept last night from 10:45 to 5:15 this morning, so I finally feel refreshed and invigorated for the first time in a week~and I have spent far too much time this morning (even writing most of this post yesterday) behind this computer. Beautiful sunshine~ here I come!


Discovery School at First Baptist Heath said...

Beautiful.. now off ya go to snuggle that new baby and his siblings... Love quick deliveries!!!!

Tracy said...

He's just gorgeous Rebecca. And a big boy too! How long was he?

I hope that he keeps sleeping as well as he did last night. It sounds like he should have plenty of fat stores to keep him happy!

Unknown said...

he is so cute! that is too funny that he jumped over the 0-3 months size :) lil chunky monkey! such a cute guy, and I'm glad he's here safe and sound :)

Mandie said...

Good gracious! What a big guy! You are my hero! Almost 11 lbs! Girl, I seriously can't believe it! He's so beautiful, Rebecca! The name Judah fits him well. I love how he skipped 0-3 mo! And, btw, I know exactly how it feels to have a baby born on the one day you really didn't want to have a baby. Much love and hugs to all six Newmans.

MameyJane said...

He is SO precious! That last picture of the two of you...wow! You're a beautiful Mom!

I can't believe you gave birth to a whopper like that completely natural--go SHE-WOMAN you!

And your newborn slept for 7 hours straight?? That is unheard of! I think the Lord had pitty on you and had this baby-watching angels keep him sleeping so you could rest :).

Thanks for sharing your story. Can't wait to see more pics!

Ulli said...

Wow, what a story! I love the last picture of the two of you. Beautiful! Enjoy your little chunka monka!

Hollace said...

The portraits are all wonderful, and I'm glad you have some of Judah with his Daddy--so much love and tenderness! He is a beautiful child, and a blessing to you and his brother and sisters! Congratulations to all! (I also have 4 birth children, girl, boy, girl, boy) and one adopted daughter who came later to us. God is good.

PS I also found that every delivery is unique and one experience doesn't always prepare you for the next one!

Mrs Abbott said...

Congratulations!! So glad you didn't deliver at home or in the car, you scared me for a second there, seeing as I have one friend who delivered in the driveway of the fire station- and one delivered at home, with having to undo the babies cord around it's neck. Congrats on another beautiful baby!

Bonnie said...

Oh. My. Gracious. Judah's birth makes Jeremiah's seem like a leisurly stroll!
The pictures you took are beautiful! And I don't have any from right after Brady was born as the NICU team was in there cleaning him out. (water broke, never knew it, lots of meconium swallowed)
And I know the fear when baby stops breathing and turns gray (happened with Rachel).
And yes, all those things make up the story but the beautiful happy details are what stands out.
You are one blessed mama, and Judah is precious beyond words, So glad you got a good nights rest!
Out to enjoy the sunshine here too!

Peggy said...

Judah is absolutely precious!! And 10 lbs 11 oz, 22 inches long? You did good!!! I am so glad that you are both home safe and sound! What a blessing Judah will be to your family! And I am so happy to hear that you got a good night's sleep!! (We had one who slept all night long, more or less... up every 4 hours to nurse for 20 minutes and that was it. We won't discuss Mr. I want to sleep during the day and be up all night!" ha ha!!)

Now go rest my dear!! :) and enjoy that new sweet baby and his dear siblings!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I just love birth stories! And I have to high five you, too. My youngest weighed 10.11, too! You're Super Mom!

He's gorgeous and you look amazing.

Congrats!! And I'm sure Corynn doesn't mind sharing her birthday with such a cutie.

Riahli said...

Amazing, I love birth stories! My first born son was 10 lbs 11 oz...it is awe inspiring isn't it! We had the same problem with nothing fitting, ha, ha!

It is so frightening when medical emergencies happen with our children, I began to tear up listen to your story. I am so glad that you were able to put that behind you and bring your beautiful baby boy home!!!

Rosemary said...

He is just so very, very cute (and big)!

JenniferM said...

You sound like a prime candidate to convince on the merits of home birth. :)
I've never done it myself, but can imagine that it sure would be nice to have the midwife come to you!

Judah sure is a big boy! And, I thought my last was big at 10 lbs. I think babies use to be born occassinally w/o the water breaking at all -- they called it "born under the veil" or something like that. My water didn't break until I started pushing, but most doctors will AROM long before that.

Nanci said...

Praising the Lord for His watchful care and that both you and Judah are safe and sound. Love you all and long to see you again soon.

Marlene Bibby said...

congratulations once again. We are so thrilled for you, Matt, and the kids. What a blessing! Can't believe you beat Joe's weight. He was 10-3 and my easiest birth. Children are such a blessing. Take the time to enjoy each one.

Leah said...

I just knew, when you said you were waiting for blood, that this was going to be an interesting birth story. :) Judah is such a handsome baby boy. And his birth story and stats are pretty amazing and impressive. At least I can tell Hannah she has a friend who weighed more than she did at birth. Hee hee. :) Oh, I wish we still lived close by so I could come see Judah in person. I forgot to tell you in my earlier comments how much I like his name! Such a strong masculine name.

You've inspired me to finally get Hannah's birth story written out. It isn't nearly as short as Judah's but much shorter than my others. I also have some new pictures I need to post. ;)

If Matt wants to call again some night Scott is usually in by 7PM. I know he'd love to talk to Matt. Or we have a cell phone he could call. I can send it in an email if you'd like.

Congratulations again from all of us!

Leah said...

Just a quick comment on the bag of waters not breaking, my water only broke once before pushing and that was with my oldest. His broke spontaneously when I hit about 8 cm. On the other hand, I've had two now (my 2nd and 5th) whose water never break at all. They were born "in the caul", pretty amazing really.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing, beautiful, BIG bundle of joy :) CONGRATS!! And what a birthday gift for Corynn...as much as she loves being "motherly" and as loving as she is, I am sure she will not mind a bit!! :)


Wendy said...

Oh Rebecca...I hear you about not wanting to "look like that kind of woman" the kind that doesnt know when she is in labor...I thought my story was scary...but yours was really frightening! Now that I have read it...I almost wish that I would have waited to hear you tell it in person! He is just beautiful! Let me know when you are up for a visit...Ill even bring something tasty for your family for supper!

Heidi said...

LOVED the birth story (though I think I started hyperventilating about 1/2 way through...). Judah is one of my favorite names (and my #3 has Benjamin for a middle name). GORGEOUS photos you've posted of him. HUGE congratulations!!!

All my boys have been around 9 1/2 pounds (last was 9lbs 13oz, and the last ultrasound on #4 had the tech and Dr. making size comments. At the last OB appointment, I was measuring over 3 weeks ahead. But 10lbs 11oz... What a hunk!! I'm PRAYING this girl comes early, I make it to the hospital in plenty of time, and she's smaller than we suspect. That's all I've got to say about that!!

Breezy said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you all. :D Welcome Judah! ♥


P.S. Judah is one of my favorite names, too!

Unknown said...

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!! WOW! What a birth story! AMAZING! And your Judah beat out my Noah by 1 stinkin' ounce! I totally understand the chunk factor! :P HAHA! It's like birthing a toddler or something! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The photos you have are ADORABLE as usual. I especially LOVE the one of him by the window in his little bed! WOW! Thank the Lord, you & Matt didn't have a car delivery!!!! I am so glad he is ok and that you got a little rest!


Birth stories, babies, photos of babies...*sigh*

Love & blessings!

Jerelene said...

What a wonderful birth story!! I got sent home from the hospital with my 4th. I ended up driving myself to the hospital..(I was thinking..they aren't going to send me home this time :) And I remember how bad my pains were and thinking...what was I thinking? The nurses kind of freak when you show up that close :)
He is beautiful Rebecca!!
You look beautiful in that last pic holding him too...:)
Happy the delivery is over for you and that he's home..
Blessings to you and your sweet family.
Love, Jerelene

Amy said...

wow, that is one big baby isn't it! congrats! He's adorable...and glad that everything worked out with the mad dash to the hospital and the grey babe and all that. my friend I mentioned in a few other of my comments had her baby on Labor day. quite fitting. :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! :) I love his name, and he sure was a big guy. How far overdue were you? That always makes for big babies for me!

We moved to our new house and just got internet today, so I just got to see this. I've been praying for you, and am so glad to hear that all went well.

Don't feel bad about not knowing whether the contractions were real or not. With Rachel, I was walking around Walmart, hunched over the cart, thinking to myself, "Wow, these Braxton Hicks are getting really strong!" It wasn't BH. It was LABOR. That was my 4th, too. ;)

Enjoy your snuggles with the new little one. Wish I was there to bring over a meal or something of the sort.

Kimberly said...

Congratulations Rebecca!! What a story and what a big boy! Mine were only about half that size - I just can't imagine! So happy for you and your lovely family.

Teresa said...

congratulations on your sweetie pie or should I say SMOOCH!! What beautiful pictures!!

momawake said...

That's quite the story! :)

Dana said...

What a fabulous story! He's a handsome little guy, too!

(BTW, when I was born my dad was out parking the car--they'd barely made it!)

Reddington Times said...

How wonderful... congratulations!!!

alane said...

Judah is just beautiful! And what an amazing birth story too! Congratulations and blessings to your whole family!