What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Huckleberries







For the last huckleberry picking of the season (and incidentally, on the hottest day of the week), I had to up the ante a bit to get a good working crew.  Not only was there swimming, but the promise of whole wheat pancakes with blueberry syrup sauce made on the grill.  That sealed the deal.

Since I never got out to go strawberry picking this spring ( the u-pick prices were terrible this year!) and my own plants didn't fare well, my hope was to have a few extra huckleberries set up for winter to make up for it.  We wound up, when all is said and done, to have 22.25 pounds under our belt....which for HUCKLEBERRIES (a much smaller berry than blueberries), is pretty impressive evenifIdosaysomyself. 

I posted the recipe (what?!?!  you actually posted a recipe?!?!) for the huckleberry syrup over at Kitchen Riches, btw.  If you can believe it!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted pics, as I've never seen a huckleberry. Do they taste like blueberries? My favorite jelly of all time is elderberry and I'm hoping to get out and find some later this summer. Don't know how they'll fare this summer with lack of rain.

Blessings always,
Janet

Bonnie said...

I so wanted to go blueberry picking this year, but it didn't happen. Looks good, and I'm thinking I might try that syrup with some of our blackberries, those we have coming out our ears!

Bobbi said...

AWW delightful, And good bribes!
i have not commented in a while... oh and on the what if game, its something i need to do more to get a good perspective. AND i wanted to add to the what if game. Cloth diapers are not all that bad, im cloth diapering 2 ; ) Love it, good for the earth and good for the pocket book!
Blessings
Bobbi

Mrs.C said...

Looks so wonderful Rebecca! I love the deep beautiful blue color! Fresh wild fruit has a taste like no other! I love preserving the ways of the past and holding on to simplicity, hospitality, & last but not least love! I've been reading your blog for many years now & finally created my profile and a blog of my own. Come visit some time when you get a chance~ I love guests! Have a sweet summer day~ ((Hugs)) Mrs.Clark