What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, April 12, 2013

Sycamore

Since we moved into this house a year ago, I have had to prepare many a meal on laminate flooring.

And I don't mean the fancy modern laminate WOOD flooring.  I mean that vinyl-y, bendable flooring that was so hot in the 80's.

I kid you not.

My children have incredible flexibility. 

Why a person would put that on their counters I will never know.  But there it was.  And there is stayed-for a year.  Ugh.

That is, until my handy hubby had his way with it.  (That sounds bad.)


He built me a beautiful wooden countertop from a sycamore log that had fallen into the creek at our old house, that he had sawed up for a "someday" project.  I know nothing about wood but apparently good sycamore logs floating down the creek is a bad thing.


So now, thanks to him, I have a lovely (and free!) new countertop to work on!  And thanks to my in-laws, I have a new dishwasher hooked up that I can stow away dirty dishes in so I can actually SEE the beautiful counter for most of the day.


I do not, however, have cupboard doors that will shut...as  you can probably surmise from these photos.

Even still, I count myself a lucky lady.


10 comments:

Paula said...

The new counter is great. Doesn't it just perk up the rest of the kitchen? Your kitchen looks like it was built on the same model as mine though I envy you the window over the sink I stare at the wall washing dishes. Our 'modern' kitchen was put in when the bathroom and running water was installed (though it came from a cistern not a well). All my cupboard doors look like your bottom ones, but mine stay shut (most of the time).

Louise said...

Beautiful countertop!

Full of Grace said...

Gorgeous Rebecca, Simply Gorgeous! How beautiful compared to what was there and how amazing it was free! Someday we will have a dishwasher again glad you FINALLY get to use yours ;)

beth said...

your caption under the first picture totally cracked me up - and I'm completely wowed by your husband's way with sycamore! beautiful.

Riahli said...

Beautiful! I love watching all the great changes you all are making to your house, turning it into a home all your own through hard work, the absolute best! :)

Karen said...

I love your daughters silly face!! What a cutie and such an awesome gift from hubby.

Marie said...

Very nice! Wood Counter tops work the best for bread making! I love my maple workbench in the bakery!! :-)

Angela said...

It's beautiful!

Abigail said...

Hurrah!

I'd say Matt's talents MORE than make up for the fact that he doesn't hand-deliver flowers to you every other day. Gorgeous.

BajaManna said...

Rebecca -
I just found this post. Sycamore is my absolutely favorite wood AND tree. I grew up with a sycamore tree which i considered my most faithful friend. Then when I married a guy who loves to make things of wood, I discovered how gorgeous sycamore is even after it's dead! Congratulations on having a husband who can make such a lovely counter (and maybe someday fix up the cabinets!)