What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, September 27, 2018

In Which We Eat Cake. Lots of Cake.











Corynn and Judah went ahead and turned another year older on September 2nd, though I have repeatedly warned them that they should slow down on that sort of thing.

Judah loves bisons so I knew I wanted to try to make him a bison head cake.  It looked more like a baby bison, with a face only a mother would love, but when candles were being blown out and everyone was encouraging him to "hurry up, hurry up!" and he said "No wait!  I just want to look at it some more..." I knew it had been a success.

Corynn requested an old-fashioned peanut butter cake and I assumed she wanted it decorated like the photo on the recipe-with just a few nuts sprinkled on top. Until she said- a few hours beforehand- that she had wanted me to surprise her!  ACK!  Well, I scrounged around for a squirrel and tried (and failed!) to make a chocolate tree trunk to hold a bunch of hoarded nuts.  When that failed- she got a squirrel plunked in a corner.  (wow.)  She's a good sport though.  And it WAS delicious- which is the most important thing.

I laughed when I heard their birthday dinner requests:

sausage- both link AND patty.
bacon.
home-fries with LOTS of sauteed onions and tomatoes and fried cheese.
tomato, cucumber, mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar salad.
DORITOS.

Pretty eclectic palate, but I didn't hear complaints from anyone at all.

Among other gifts, Judah got a pretty amazing handmade bison bag from Aunt Holly which he rarely is without and I crocheted up a birthday hat for Corynn pretty quickly using a yarn that has favorite colors in it.  Since she is my hat girl, I hope to see it often.

(BONUS: When I have a project to put on ravelry, Corynn poses as HERSELF and not in a disguise and with genuine smile to boot!  Reason alone to make her yarn projects!)

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Love the cakes (yes, both), the hat, and the children. Happy birthdays, Newman twosome!