What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Cricket's not a cricket: A banging gender reveal

All throughout this pregnancy, Matt has been SO SURE that Cricket is a boy that I was beginning to wonder if he might be disappointed if the baby turned out to be a girl.  I dunno, maybe it was when we had a conversation that went something like this:

The Mister (after every reference to Cricket ever made...): "Cricket is a boy."  

Me, finally addressing the baby elephant in the room: "You know, Mattie, there is a 50/50 chance that this child is a girl.  And if it is- what are you going to do about that?!?"

The Mister, very matter-of-factly:  "Why, we'll put her up for adoption."

Okay.  So you have to know that Matt is kinda hilarious like that- I am pretty sure he wouldn't put his own daughter up for adoption (I think!) but STILL.

I began to suspect that it might be wise to forego the tradition of not-finding out the gender this go-round in order to give him an opportunity to warm up to the fact that he was having a girl, should that be necessary.

So we found out!  Or, at least, *I* found out.  And as soon as I found out, well, then I knew.  Sounds crazy, I know, but it was a weird sort of sadness- not needing to anticipate and wonder anymore.  I decided at that appointment that in order to keep some of the extra anticipation and excitement around, I would tell everyone in a super secret, special sort of way.  But a girl can only keep a secret from EVERY.SINGLE.PRYING.PERSON for so long so a week later we invited family over to a gender reveal party.

(Despite the fact that when someone from Matt's work found out, they said we are too old to have a gender reveal party!  whaaha haha.)

I chose a way that would speak to Matt's heart in a very special way.  By blowing something up.

I can now add bomb-maker to my list of credentials.  (Chill out FBI... gender reveal bombs are a thing nowadays.  Don't add me to some watch list.  Pleaseandthankyou.)

Tannerite (I am girl.  I don't know what tannerite is or how it works.  I just know it somehow goes BOOM!) mixed with a ton of chalk powder and you have yourself a fancy shmancy gender reveal with a bang!

Here are a few photos from that little geriatric shin-dig, mostly blurry and overexposed because I had my camera settings wrong throughout most of the party.

Whoops.

the invite

a million meringues

I had a taco bar-but you can't tell here since most of the food wasn't out at this point.




For posterity, not for clarity.
I hung up pictures of all our children, us and our parents.  Hilariously, Matt guessed every one of our children wrong!  In his defense- we do seem to only make one model.
 
This would be Cricket at 24ish weeks.
fuzzy favors

The Girl Side

The Boy Side- a bit fuller, I'd say.
The sharp shooter, ready for action.  He was too! He got it on the first shot!





And in real time:


When he's right.... he's right!  :-)

11 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Oh that is so cool!! Congrats and many blessings to you and your family.

beth said...

LOVE this! so fun!

Rebecca said...

PS. That is Andrew and Judah in the background. Apparently, they were excited. ;-)

debbie said...

Was Matt crying

ulli said...

Yay!! What fun! You two are adorable!

Rebecca said...

Debbie- nah. More chortling than anything. I've only seen the man cry a handful of times- usually when he sees our new baby for the first time. Pretty much has never cried at any other time in our lives.

Amy said...

Aww. Congratulations, Rebecca!!! <3 I had some of the same stats as you this last time around...maybe it's a boy thing...salty, crabby, lower heart rate etc.. :-) So that will be 3 and 3 for you, correct? :) We had that and Gideon broke the tie! :P

Leah said...

Oh, how very exciting!!! I just love patterns! :) I wish we were closer so our sweet little boys could grow up with each other. We're all bummed that you won't be able to come up this summer but we completely understand. Much love from all of us to all of you. <3

Making Cents Of It All said...

Congratulations.

marthahelen said...

A boy! A boy! Congratulations!!!

Sarah Loves Texas said...

CONGRATS!!!!