What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Thirty Seven





 
 






















 
For you, Beth! 28 weeks and feeling full term! 




 Soooo, I'm 37 now.  It's an interesting age. In my head, I still feel like a schoolgirl.  So much life still ahead of me, Lord willing.  So many things still to learn, so many ways I need to grow and mature, so much wisdom still to seek.  Being large with child, however, makes my body feel very OLD.  Lumbering about getting out of breath, unable to bend over easily, waddling around with sore legs and feet, wearing the same 6 things over and over and over and over....  it's a wonder to feel so old and so young at the same time.

I have often wondered if we ever truly feel 'old' in our brains.  Does an 80 year old feel the weight of her years- or does she feel like the same 'ole girl in those dusty black and white photos in the attic?  It seems almost like the older we get, the more we realize we don't know- and we realize how truly YOUNG our minds are yet all of this at just  the time that our bodies begin to wear out and ache.  Maybe it is a design feature- our minds are given a more and more childlike faith, ready and excited for the great good and glory of meeting our Lord, just when our broken bodies are ready to give up the ghost. 

Adele' picked me a bouquet of lilacs for my bed (I pity anyone without lilacs on their birthday) and Corynn and Andrew surprised me by baking a cheesecake for me all on their own and in secret!  I had to get the tires changed on our van that morning and was gone several hours so I had no idea they had done it until they brought out a beautiful cheesecake that evening.  And it was divine.  That may have been the very first time someone made me a birthday dessert.  Sweet children have I.

I just LOVE these days full of flowers and bouquets and sweet, spicy floral scents wafting through the air.  I keep time of the seasons by which flowers are in bloom.  It is peony season now and golly, do I love peonies. 

You know what else I love?  Finding a bunch of pictures on my camera that I didn't take!  The moon, laundry, calf-named Winston and bird flying shots were taken by someone other than me. 

One of my favorite instagram feeds is this one.  She inspires me every day with her gorgeous blossoms and floral art.  Flowers make me happy so it is no surprise.  She recently showed how to make some of her amazing floral headpieces and I just had to try it out.  Not nearly as elegant as her and wound up with ants creepy crawling in my hair, but it was so worth it.  It will not be my last flower crown, of that I am certain.

I finally finished Jane Eyre on audiobook.  Love it so much.  (Also- where we got the name Adele though when I read it the first time, I mispronounced it in my head.  I read it as A-de-lay, not Ah-dell so...whoopsie!)  I also finished Mrs. Miles' Diary, The Great Divorce and Virgil Wander, all within a week or so of each other. (I had started them all- except Virgil Wander- a month or so ago... I am not a reading machine!) I am now onto Rosario Butterfields' book The Gospel Comes With a Housekey: Practicing Radically Ordinary Hospitality in Our Post-Christian World:.

Between that book on 'radically ordinary hospitality' where Rosario essentially lives to serve her neighbors and listening to a new-to-me podcast (which leaves me grinning and chortling every time I listen) in which Rachel Jankovic (a mother of seven) and her sister Beckah Merkle (mother of five) casually talk about hosting parties of 20-40+ people at their homes each week, I am feeling convicted that I could do better in the area of hospitality. 

I think I am pretty decent at throwing parties for large gatherings throughout the year, homeschool parties and reunions and holiday gatherings and picnics; making sure the house is super clean and making a menu of fancy food we don't normally eat and making a big deal about it. 

What I am feeling convicted about is getting better at inviting people into our ORDINARY lives, into our ordinary messes, into our ordinary food and having them feel welcome and at ease.  And not just 'our people', the easy ones we already like to hang out with- but those people who could really use friendship and neighborly love.  My hope is that if it is ordinary, then I will be more at ease in preparing for said gatherings instead of feeling overwhelmed at the prospect, and it will become more of a routine and less of an undertaking.  Also- large gatherings are great for small talk with lots of people and less good at worthwhile conversations.  Inviting individual families into our home will allow for deeper discussions on more intimate levels- which is an excellent thing.   I mentioned this to the kids, that this would be a new goal for me, and then we wound up having five different opportunities to have families over impromptu within the first two weeks!  I hope it keeps up.

On crafting: besides making silly floral headpieces and beautiful bouquets for the house, on Sunday I turned out a beach towel tote bag for my nephew for his birthday with funky cow fabric.  You turn the bag inside out and store the towel inside the pouch, along with any other treasures you want to bring along.  He's 8 now and I fear the handmade gift possibilities are dwindling.  I also knit a hat with a single skein of chunky baby yarn that I got for $1.00- but that really isn't good for much more than a hat.  Those chunky baby colored yarns- what else does one do with them? 

I want to knit Cricket a romper in the worst way but I really don't know if my skillset is good enough to actually be able to do it.  I am loving this one, or this one, or this, or this but, as usual, doubts bubble up and make me too afraid to start (and fail).  If you've ever knit a romper- how hard do you think they are?   Are they doable for an advanced beginner- which I guess is what I would call myself. 

Speaking of failing, tomorrow I have a 3 hour glucose test for gestational diabetes at the hospital because I failed the 1 hour test... I guess if ever I were to try to knit a romper, 3 hours in a waiting room is a good time to do so.

10 comments:

another Rebecca said...

I find knitting is great for decreasing stress and making myself feel useful when I'm stuck in a place where I can't do anything else, so why not? Knit away, my dear, and even it doesn't turn out the way you pictured it in your mind (mine never do) it will be a good learning experience and a great use of time. I find that knitting is also an easy way for others to start a conversation with you, and you never know what light you may be able to shine into someone's life through conversation started by a small skein of yarn and some pointy sticks.

ulli said...

Happy Birthday! So, Rebecca, when IS your birthday? I shared mine with Father's Day this year. Both of us are June bugs! I don't know why, but I love having a birthday in June!

On getting older, my father lived to be 91 years old. He never felt old other than his physical body. He was so full of life, and love of life, nothing could keep him down. The last few weeks of his life were difficult and his mind started going, but up until then he was great--and great fun to be around. You're so right about still having a lot to learn. I also feel that way, and I'm always discovering new things. All in all I love getting older, except the creaking bones. Haha!

Love the flowers in your hair--so cute! They sure are beautiful in that big bouquet! My shady yard doesn't allow me to grow bright sun-loving flowers. Sad.

I have not knit a romper but you should just go for it. You can always rip it out if you make a mistake, just put a life line in now and then. Trust the instructions, even if they don't make total sense. Use youtube for instructions about things you don't understand.

I must tell you I got my best birthday gift ever this year. Than announcement of grandbaby #2 on the way! We're still on cloud 9!

ulli said...

...and I will be thinking of you tomorrow for your 3 hour appointment...

Making Cents Of It All said...

Happy Birthday. I feel the same way about age sometimes. I don't know how I have a 26 year old daughter when there are days that I feel 16. You look beautiful all pregnant with flowers in your hair. When the girls were younger we used to make flower crowns. Maybe I will make one for my youngest to wear at her graduation party. Enjoy every flower. I have a beautiful bouquet from my sister's yard on my table.

Mary P said...

My favorite photo on this post is the one of showing you at six months along. sometimes I think about the fact that I will have years and years to get cupboards in order, organize my photos (I’m years behind), lose that stubborn weight etc, but I want to enjoy these years with babies and little ones while they last!

beth said...

ah! so thrilled to see the photo of you and your Cricket! you are utterly RADIANT. and i'm praying for you and today's testing.

Barb said...

Beautiful flowers. Do you grow most of them from seed?

debbie said...

happy birthday your the same age as my son,my niece had her baby today Sophia like that name better then what they picked before.Always love your pictures I used to have a peony bush too.great for cutting always hated the ants that came with them.

Rebecca said...

Thank you to all who paid me the compliment of commenting- and encouraging me in my big belly. Very sweet of you. A girl can get to feeling very whale-like in her mind, it was nice to hear such kind words!

another Rebecca- well, I did it! I cast on the Lesley Sunsuit on ravelry but I got stuck on the very second instruction that said cast on after putting all stitches on a stitch holder. I wasn't sure if you just keep knitting from the stitch holder working yarn or if you are to cut it and start fresh. So I did some knitting and did some reading and somehow survived! ;-)

Ulli- thank you and happy birthday to you as well! My birthday is actually May 15th but my blogging is a bit behind. :-) May the Lord bless and keep you this year, and use you mightily for His good! And congratulations on that grandbaby! How wonderful!

Making Cents of it All- After I did the peonies, I thought about all the chamomile and other flowers that could be done and then I thought that perhaps on a slow Sunday morning before church (ha!) I could put flowers in the girls' hair. A girl can dream!

Mary P- I think about that often too. And given some of the issues that have arisen with this pregnancy in particular, I wonder if Cricket may be the grand finale in this child-bearing season of mine. I've tried to act as though it were in EACH of my pregnancies because they are not promised to us, but this particular time it *feels* like it is too. Yes, this season is a gift and ought to be soaked up to its fullest!

Beth- thank you!

Barb- most of my flowers are perennials that have been cast offs by neighbors and family and church perennial sales. Once people know that you love flowers, they often bless you with their divides, etc. My mother-in-law loves flowers as much as I do so my birthday present is often a giftcard to a local greenhouse or hanging baskets of some kind. I grow many annuals from seed- I can't be without zinnias and cosmos in the summertime, especially. I have two packets of poppy seed I need to find just the right place for soon- some peachy coral colored ones and some PURPLE! Can't wait! I hope they 'take'!

Debbie- Congrats on your new grandbaby! I don't know what the other name was supposed to be- but Sophia is a beautiful name! True about the ants! But I always make myself be grateful for them since finding out that it is their secretions that dissolve something on the bud, allowing for them to blossom at all! So I just think of them as Peony gardeners, that's all. But if they want to continue to be peony gardeners, they had better stay OUT of my house! ;-)

marthahelen said...

Ahh!!! I had no idea you were pregnant! Congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you all. And, I knit the Bonsai sunsuit/romper when I was still a very new knitter and was able to navigate it just fine! I love the bubble romper that you linked and may have to make that for Wren pronto!
You are a constant source of inspiration and encouragement.. thank you for writing words and sharing pictures here!
Martha