What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

At the Hospital

The hospital stay at Moses' birth was not a stellar experience- mainly because of crossed wires when it came to discharge that resulted in my entire family being trapped in a small hospital room for about 6 hours straight with frazzled nerves and antsy pants all around (or maybe just me?!).  I felt like a caged bird and wanted nothing more than to gettheheckouttatherewithmypeeps and eat some real food.

But stay, we had to.  The up-side to it was lots of visitors.  And a bouquet of flowers from my Mister! 

I'd like to erase those last six hours from my memory entirely, but before that there were a few things I'd like not to forget.


#1. Moses is the first child of mine that has been wide-eyed and curious from the get-go.  Moments after birth he opened his eyes and didn't shut them for an impossibly long time.  Hours, maybe?  Maybe I was in a fog- but it really did seem like hours.  And he would follow people around with his eyes.  

This was new for us.  Most of my children have only opened their eyes cracks when you shielded them from light and then, only for a moment before falling asleep again.


#2  How did I forget how amazingly soft and squidgy and warm and silky and PERFECT freshly born baby skin is?  One of the best feelings IN.THE.WORLD.  I have often thought of bottling up sunshine for winter...but if I could bottle anything at all, it would be the feeling of fresh baby perfection. 




#3.  Hospital rooms are in desperate need of flowers.  So are postpartum women.










#4 When Ineke saw the baby for the first time, she covered her mouth, crinkled her nose and eyes and kept exclaiming "He's sooooo CUTE!  He's sooooo cuuuuuuuuutteeeee!"  Some things, photos just don't capture well.  I wish I had a video of it.













#5  I have always noticed when a new baby comes that the displaced 'baby' of the family all of a sudden seems not like a baby at all.  I never knew that something similar happens to bigger brothers.  Overnight, he turned from big boy to almost manly?!?! SERIOUSLY.  NOT okay.





Always observant, Moses follows everyone around with his eyes.


#6  I think it is so ironic (and hilarious) how exhausted Matt looks after I push a baby out.  Looking back in pictures, I am always so bright eyed and bushy tailed after having a baby and he is always catching some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's. 


#7... Moses- you are clearly not impressed about it now, but I am telling you- it is pretty awesome to have grandparents that sit on each others' laps.  You'll understand someday.








#8 Matt and Moses have an uncannily squished scowl...


...and happen to be some of the handsomest guys I know.


The girl in the back ain't so bad, either.



#9 SOMEONE wasn't super impressed that not ONLY did I get a bonnet crocheted for a coming home outfit- but matching booties and a sweater to boot!  Some people are SO hard to please.





#10 I hate red tape and hospital silliness like being pushed to your car in a wheelchair with a cumbersome baby seat perched on your lap.  The whole thing is stupid if you ask me and makes a girl feel pretty stupid too.  I hate this picture for that reason and others. (Ahem- man calves. double chin.)   But I love it because of the girl holding my hand.  Ineke started bawling when she saw me get in the wheelchair because she thought that I was sick and that I was going somewhere else, away from her.  Only after she got to hold my hand to be sure I didn't get away was she willing to stop crying.  She held it the whole way to the van.  Andrew, meanwhile, ran ahead and took about 30 unflattering photos of me in said stupid wheelchair. 


#11 When nurses who push wheelchairs see vans this large- they actually laugh in disbelief.  I didn't tell her that me finally being a part of the BIG VAN club makes me very, very happy.  That probably would have made her laugh even more.



Home again, home again, jiggity jig.


Some lucky (smart?!) people got to meet Moses on a gorgeous day in the comfort of our own front porch instead of a hospital room. 

I let them hold Moses in exchange for a big pan of ravioli that (blame it on postpartum hormones or just how good it was) I actually cried over...  Who got the better end of the bargain, I wonder?



12 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Thank you for sharing your totally beautiful family! Blessings to you for giving the blessing of life to more children!

Angela said...

He was so alert! What a precious little guy.

debbie said...

Love all the pictures,welcome baby Moses

Ulli said...

You have such a beautiful family! Little Moses is perfection, and the love within the family, extended family, is so evident. What a blessed bunch you are!

JenniferM said...

Moses is a cutie, but since I already have one of those (a baby boy, that is), I'm only jealous of the van. :D

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Abigail said...

Hurrah! Can you imagine the good ol' days when they not only didn't let you out of the hospital for several DAYS but also kept you in a hospital gown the whole time?! Small blessings. ;) I feel ya, sister.

These picture make me happy. Seeing Moses, as all babies should be, quite literally surrounded by love and joy is a joy. What a way to enter the world. And that close-up of Ineke leaning close to hold his hand, both gazing earnestly at each other, is the dearest.

Bonnie said...

Boy am I glad I found a few minutes today to pop in or I would have missed Moses arrival completely- I kept thinking you were due in November. That said- Congratulations!!!!!!!!! He shares a birthday with my JB (who very nearly shared a birthday with *your* JB) : )

Much love to all of you wonderful Newmans, from the internet/letter writing scarce but always thinking of you,

Bonnie

Miranda Hupp said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm so happy for you. ❤️

marthahelen said...

I love love love it all. You are beautiful radiant, he is so precious. The sweetest days earthside might be those early newborn days. Many blessings on you all! Thank you for sharing so many sweet photos. God is good!

Full of Grace said...

Thank you for sharing the photo of myself and baby Moses <3 I love it <3

Lavender Rise said...

Congratulations on the newest little member of your sweet family! I miss being part of the big van club.(We had the same model AND colour as you!) Ours have started flying the nest. We even have a wedding next summer!

beth said...

HAPPY!