What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Talking Shop (In the Kitchen)

Let's talk kitchens, shall we?  Or rather... kitchen tools.  

I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen.  Three square meals a day x 7+, baby.  I discovered a looooooooooonnnng time ago that having the right tools can make the work downright pleasant.  I was asked recently what are some of the best kitchen splurges a new bride should stock her kitchen with and it got me inspired to look around at what I most appreciate.

Ironically, almost everything in the picture above I have only recently gotten within the past year or so.  Most of the items in the picture were gifted to me by a sister in law who also loves to cook. (Everyone should have a Holly in their lives.)  But they all *spark joy*, Marie. 

I'll tell you about the things in the picture and then share some treasures that are too used and utilitarian to be photo worthy after that.  

Warning: With the exception of things given to me by above stated sister in law,  I have nothing top of the line except my dehydrator...which I could only afford after getting a huge tax return.   I lean toward cheap, always.  Second hand will do, cast offs are even better.

Here we go:

Last Christmas, my sister in law gave me two gorgeous turquoise enamel coated cast iron dutch oven/pots..  And my world was rocked.   Using them for cooking things LITERALLY makes me happier.  They cook things so awesomely, can be used on the stove top and then transferred to the oven without switching pans, hold a lot more food than just a cast iron skillet and the very, very, very best part?  When the food is done and I have to call to the four winds to find children and husband to gather 'round the table, and it takes 15 minutes for them to find their way to the table... the food is still HOT.  They also work great if you are taking a meal to someone or to a Thanksgiving dinner.  There have been plenty of nights where I was madder than a hornet that I had slaved away to make a good meal just to have to eat it cold or reheat it before even taking a bite because I couldn't find everyone to sit and eat.  Not since these beauties. 

Along the same vein- cast iron.  I use cast iron for almost all of my cooking.  It is fabulous.  When I was a young bride who didn't know much I swore by teflon.  Now as a seasoned cook, I'll stick with seasoned cookware.  ;-)  I have normal round cast iron skillets to use for meals but I bought a square cast iron pan at a yard sale for $2.00 once upon a time and it is my favorite one to use when you don't need a large quantity at once... like making batch after batch of sunny side up eggs or grilled cheese.  It is amazing to use for hot dips.  It is a perfect size for the stove and doesn't crowd other burners like the big round ones do and it isn't as heavy to pour out, more or wash either.  So cast iron, definitely.  And if you can find a square one- snatch it up!

A two tiered serving stand.  Any will do.   I use them not just for pretty presentations at parties, but easy access to ripening cherry tomatoes, garlic, peppers, herbs, clementines, strawberries- or anything I want to snatch up quickly and not crush.  It is as utilitarian as it is aesthetically beautiful and mine are never tucked away in a cupboard.

Any pretty wooden utensils are a must, in my opinion.  But most recently, I discovered the joy of a ladle with a hook.  I bought a two pack to give as Christmas presents and then wound up keeping one of them for myself. Because I am greedy, that's why.  I still can't believe it has taken me 18 years to figure out that ladles should have hooks at the end.  No more ladles falling in the pot.  I suppose a long handled ladle would work too...but I don't have one of those yet.

A long pizza cutter.  We make pizza at least once a week here but I use this pizza cutter for much more than just pizza.  Cut biscuits, breads, rolls with it.  Or brownies.  Or Granola bars. I even use it to scrape the dough/flour scraps from the counter.  Just a super handy thing.

Speaking of pizza- my all time favorite pizza pans are the ones with holes in them.  But maybe that's because I don't have a cast iron one yet.  HA!  

The last thing pictured is a danish dough hook.  For years, a wooden spoon worked fine.  But then, I was given this dough hook and I realized dough making doesn't have to be just 'fine'.  Making dough has the potential to be FABULOUS.  But you need this dough hook.  

Other ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS in my kitchen (that are too well used to be pretty):

~ A stand mixer.  I bought mine used from a friends mother more than a decade ago for a song.  Mine is almost shot from wear.  It makes weird noises every time I use it now.  (I blame it on the butter making.)  But when it finally bites the dust, I know that as expensive as they are... I am going to be saving my pennies to replace it.  STAT.  Until then, I cross my fingers and hope it isn't today.

~ A heavy bottomed stock pot

~ a good food processor.  These are crazy handy for chopping and shredding. Coleslaw becomes one of the easiest side dishes to make in the world.  Saurkraut.  Salsa.  Hashbrowns.  Guacamole.  Even shredding cheese you buy in blocks.  You're welcome.  

~ an ice cream maker.  I have this one and bought a separate

~ a crockpot

~ a fryer (because, DONUTS.  And fair food.)

~ large stainless steel bowls.  I have all sorts of big bowls- some ginormous like 30 qt. sized.  Some more reasonable at 13 or 16 qts.  For canning and baking any quantity of food, these are important.  Also- for eating copious amounts of popcorn.

For preserving-

~ a pressure canner.  If you are just starting out with canning- go with the pressure canner.  You want to buy that new.  And you can still water bath can in it.  Later, you can always find an enamel water bath canner at a yard sale- I see them all the time.  But by then, you may decide you can just keep water bathing in the pressure canner.

~ Canning Jar lifters and funnels are an absolute must with canning.  I have two.  Because, like scissors and nail clippers, they disappear JUST the minute you need them.  

~ a food dehydrator.  If you will just be dabbling with dehydrating, you can go with the Walmart special and it will suit you.  They are almost always around at Christmas time for gifting, so now is your chance!  If you are SERIOUS about dehydrating... this one is the real deal.  

I've heard great things about things like Instapots but since I don't own 'em, I can't vouch for them.  

What did I miss?  What are your most used kitchen tools?  And what things do you LOVE?

15 comments:

Sharon said...

Love, love, love my cast iron pizza pan! :)

Rozy Lass said...

I have probably half a dozen silicone spatulas that I don't want to live without. I'm another fan of cast iron too.

Unknown said...

I have the Excalibur dehydrator also but I don't use as much as I thought. I mainly end up using it to dehydrate garlic and then make garlic powder. What is your favorite thing to dehydrate?

Rebecca said...

Ooooh- a cast iron pizza pan! Woah! That sounds amazing.

Rozy- yes to the silicone! They are so handy. I completely forgot about that!

Unknown- I halve and dehydrate cherry tomatoes all summer long with herbs. Jerky from it is super tasty. I dehydrate slices of zucchini to use in place of lasagna noodles for healthy lasagna. I also dehydrate it minced for soups. My FAVORITE things to use the dehydrator for (and what I use it for most often is... DRIED APPLE RINGS! Sometimes I dry them so much they are crisp like chips. Sometimes I dry them a bit less so they are maliable like apple jerky. Either way, they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. (Dried banana slices too- which will never have you want another store bought dried banana- they are flavorless in comparison. I don't have as much access to bananas though.)

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to have you posting more often and sharing your beautiful photographs of life in your neck of the woods.

Mrs. Marc Otto said...

I think there is only really one thing I want in a kitchen, and that's counter space. ;) Okay, and I do like baking stones. And you can't have too many, because someone is always breaking them. I had a lovely muffin stone, and I think someone jumped up and down on it. Maybe they can't break cast iron? Speaking of which, do you have a 16" cast iron skillet? That's next on my wish list. Along with a new butter slicer. Which must be, hands down, my favorite thing. And they're only $5. I use it for making pies/scones/biscuits. If I have to cut butter with a knife, I am annoyed.

P.S. I need your address for some stickers! Thanks*M

terricheney said...

Knives....Really good knives. I have Wusthof knives which were gifted to me by a son who appreciated my cooking about 20 years ago. Occasionally I have to sharpen them but they are so nice, hefty handles that make chopping easy etc. They are expensive, I know but I love them. And a few years later he gifted me an electric knife sharpener as well.

And honestly can you have too many wooden spoons? They don't scrape or scratch pots and pans and the babies love playing with them and they get smooth with age.

Mrs. Marc Otto said...

Was making muffins this morning and reminded how much I like my Pampered Chef Mix 'n Scrape silicone spatulas. They are solid, one-piece, so the heads don't come off. AND USA-Pans, they're steel with a silicone coating. Looking at their site, I see that they now make stoneware loaf pans with a silicone coating. Is that cheating? BTW, I pick up all my Pampered Chef at yard sales. It's something people buy because they're best friend asked them to, and then they sell it later because they don't actually cook. I can almost buy stones as fast as my children break them. ;)

Sarah said...

I loved looking at this list because I am moving and doing a sort/purge/"what do I wish I had" process. The ladle with the hook and two-tiered stand are now in my brain.
On a totally different note, speaking of lists, would you consider doing a short post where you list three recommended parenting books you've loved? My sister and husband are expecting their first, and they are readers too, but I don't want to give them just *any* parenting book, if I give them one. Thank you! (not a parent myself)

Mrs. Marc Otto said...

@Sarah, "The Things You'll See" by Lawrence Lucas.

https://www.amazon.com/Things-Youll-See-Children-Raised/dp/0971591601

It's my go to baby shower gift. If anyone hasn't read it, it's definitely worth it. Not so well known, since he published it himself. But his son was in my class at school, so I got to see the fruits of the book. A lovely family for sure.

Rebecca said...

Sarah- here's a quick answer for ya: I really love the books from Rachel Jankovic and have bought many for gifts... Loving the Little Years and Fit to Burst. They are relatively new so I have enjoyed them with a house full of children. But they are great. When I was first starting out, I remember reading and enjoying Withhold Not Thy Correction by Bruce Ray and Christian Living in the Home by Jay Adams- a bit more stuffy but helpful to someone who knew nothing.

Sarah said...

Thank you for the recommendations, Rebecca; I'll check them out. (And, Mrs. Marc Otto)

Els said...

I love cast iron, especially the skillet I picked up in Ithaca at a church sale many years ago for 10 cents!!!
It traveled with us to England, is often used, and it has inspired a need in many of my family to own one as well

Abigail said...

Don't get an InstantPot if you don't want to become dependent on it. I never make yogurt or cook beans in anything else now, and microwave-less people like us can even cook frozen meat in it, too! That is, if one forgets to get meat out in enough time to defrost properly, which of course, I never, ever do.
EVER.

:)

Abigail said...

And those pots in your photos are GORGEOUS. I admire them every time we come over, and I now have Big Plans to adopt your sister-in-law in time for Christmas this year.