What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Middle March


What fortunate daughters I have, to each have a matching brother to play (and dance) with.  This scene has played through our home many times through the years.  I think Moses might be the most gentlemanly of dance partners, though.  He takes his job very seriously.

When told he CANNOT have another strawberry and white chocolate hot cocoa bomb drink.

(Thank you, Mom.)

by Adele- on iceskates!

So many pictures on this blog highlight a pantless Moses.  He does OWN pants, I assure you.  He just doesn't love them.  And that provides me with easy access to thigh squeezeage, so I don't force the subject.  Look at his hands on his knees!  I die!


The house was a lot sweeter this week as Andrew made his first ever Maple candy!  

It was perfectly done and I am so proud of him.  What a guy.

Mental note: find more silicone shape molds.  They are magical.

Mental note #2: Do not rush popping them out while they are still warm.  
EVEN if you are excited to see how they turn out. (REBECCA!)



This is Corynn on the night I picked her up from her Poiema trip.  So little sleep, so high on happy memories and so covered with little people.

Look at what popped open on one of my orchid plants!  I am good at keeping orchids alive but not so much at getting them to rebloom.  I have intended to learn how to properly care for orchids long term...but never take the time to actually do it.  What a happy winter surprise!

by Adele.  

The better to seeeee you with, my dear!

The better to EEEEEEEEEAT you with, my dear!!!!!

by Adele. 
Included here because it is one of the rare ones that do not include weird faces. 😜
 

The start of a new timber-framing project inside of the old timber-framing project.  

the Timberframer himself

and his apprentice...whose most noteworthy skill is to lose tools

This should hold (and more importantly, cover) our wood supply each winter.  




by Ineke

It is handy to live near other Newmans.  When this many teenagers come over for an AwakeOver (because who is actually sleeping?!), Matt heads to either parents' or a brothers' house to sleep. 


I have been ruminating on the verse on my chalkboard all month long.  

Break up your fallow ground... that part holds me fast.

The Lord blesses us, it is true... but He expects us to be READY for it- to work for it- to anticipate it and to prepare for Him to rain righteousness down upon us.

That looks a lot like toiling in the muck and dirt.  Like sweat.  Like back aches.   Like sweeping out the cobwebs from the Bible and your brain.  Like determining to do right- even when you don't feel like it.  Like humbling yourself before God.  Like seeing how fruitless you have become- how you have ceased striving.

The tendency of women these days (myself included) can often be on a focus of 'grace', 'rest', 'peace' or 'calm'- and while all of those things are good and true, they are good and true in a different context than we often ascribe to them.  Grace for those who wrong you, Grace given to you in order to accomplish what must be done- not leaning upon grace to accommodate your own sins and shortcomings.  Rest in the Lord does not necessarily mean take a day off, sleeping in or a Mom's night out.  It does mean REST IN THE LORD that He is over all things...even the scary ones.  Peace can come in a jail cell and does not require a manicure or a hefty bank account (ask Paul) and Calm is not always what is needed (just ask the moneychangers when Jesus toppled their tables).  

But how many times have I shirked my responsibilities because I was tired?  How many times have I worried about money, clothes, food, this nation, my children, the future?  How many times have I wanted to curl up in a ball rather than roll up my sleeves?  How many excuses have I made for the unfertile ground I have been treading upon?  How many reasons have validated my lack of harvest?How many times have a chosen to tramp down the soil rather than opening it up for the Lord to rain upon?  

So many times.

It reminds me of the time when I heard Rachel Jankovic suggest Women's Retreats should more appropriately be named "ADVANCE!" I loved that.  That is effort, that is getting our hearts and mind prepared for battle, that is fruitfulness.

We have work to do.  From our measly offerings, the Lord will provide the increase.  He will use our fallow ground to bring forth fruits and harvest.  The Lord will rain down His righteousness.  The Lord will make the magic.  We must be ready to receive it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many wonderful things to comment on!

Ineke’s smile! :)
Aw, sweet Corynn. I hope she will fill Erin in on the Poiema a trip! :) How did YOU do with her gone? This is a big step!
Judah, look the man muscles, the stocky frame reminds me of my boys...., sweet Adele, your budding photographer! Ella is working on a letter for you, Adele!
Eva has the same dress as Ineke on the trampoline picture! Coolness.
Andrew, all handsome and manly but still loving cooking up some goodness. Reminds me of my Evan—deer hunter all the way but loves to make scones or tea cakes or flatbread. ;)
I love your devotional, so true. That’s a good word to keep in mind.
So good to see the Newmans today!
Lots of love, Monica PS. Yes, Edward does suck his thumb! :))))

terricheney said...

In summer, when your porch is warm (over 65 degrees at night) put the orchids outdoors. Water once or twice a week but do NOT overwater. Bring them indoors when nighttime temps fall below 65F consistently. Feed if they appear to need it. Indoors, be sure to put the plants out of a drafty spot and near enough a window they can get filtered sunlight. You should see bloom stems within two months. I know people say they are fussy but they really aren't if you pay attention to those three things: outdoors on porch in summer (morning sun is fine but more shade than not), bring them in when nights start to cool, water once a week.

Jo said...

Amen!

Rochelle said...

Beautiful ��