What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Beehive Busy







The roofing job wreaked havoc on the only storage space in our house (and my plans for the next few weeks).  It turns out that when you decide spontaneously to take off the asphalt shingles over the storage space instead of just covering them with metal, all the old nails and dust will fall through the wide, old cracks and into the storage space below.

And if that storage space is the only one in the house, is usually either frigidly cold or smolderingly hot and something that you must crawl into... that means that likely the bins filled with sheets, dress up clothes, extra blankets, pillows, suitcases etc.  will not be properly covered.

And if that is the case, then an inch of black dirt, dust and nails will get over every.single.thing.

And that, it just so happens, is exactly what happened.

(The above pictures of both porch and granary are after several HOURS worth of work to get it to the place where I could even stomach the idea of photographing things.)

Meanwhile... I had previously asked to borrow my father-in-laws trailer so that I could downsize/consolidate/clean out/organize/purge the Granary, which had become out of control.  

So it all happened at the exact same time, which was a blessing and a curse- as there were plenty of household storage things that needed to be junked after the roofing project too.  

I had to shake every ever-loving sheet and pillowcase in the place and wash almost every blanket.
 
I spent days, black with soot, sweat making tracks down my neck.

The porch was absolutely covered with junk (and then, of course, that's just when neighbors stop by.. ACK!)

I still have two bins of sentimental notes, letters, photos, school work, etc. to go over.

I have been so torn between two simultaneously large projects that our actual house has become, well, a pit of despair with not a single place to retreat to... and this weekend we are hosting the Newunion!  

It's been a bit overwhelming but...

 We are now rid of an entire dump trailer of clutter/junk from our lives.  
I've donated things I probably should have donated a looooong time ago.  
I've had the pleasure of rereading long lost love notes from days-gone-by.
I've enjoyed coming across the sweet little drawings and projects of children now grown.
The children are envisioning a Granary spaces like Once Upon a Time.

Messes have to happen before progress does.  

And who would have decided to tackle these projects just for fun?  Not me.  But I am glad I was forced into doing them because now they are actually getting done.

So these days I have been as busy as a beehive.  But if the bees can do it, so can I.   

3 comments:

Lynn Ewing said...

That IS a touch job, but well done, you and congratulations on having done!

ulli said...

The hard work is so worth it, both on the part of the men replacing the roof and on the women cleaning up the storage items. Lightening the load held in storage will also lighten the load on your soul--at least it does for me. It all good!

Els said...

Let me know when your granary guest room is ready!
Oh, all the projects at Hopestead; just so encouraging to see generations working together on it (I hope you got some help as well?!)
Stuff of dreams! You may think your house isn't big, but you have lots and lots of space around it, and outbuildings to make up for it!
How is Andrew's "treehouse" coming along?