What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Sunday, October 07, 2007

This Weeks Photo Assignment: Self-Portrait


So-this weeks photo assignment was to do a self-portrait. I am pretty good at those. I have to be, since I promptly BURN every photo that others take of me-that reveal my true, unphotogenic person. To make sure my children remember me when I am gone, I take my own photographs. You know the kind...that you point the camera down from up high, jut out your chin, push together your shoulderbones, and try and look skinny. well, those of you who are NOT skinny might understand what I am talking about. Those of you who are....phoey on you! ;-)

ANYWAY. I didn't want to be 'ordinary' this week by just snapping a frontal shot of me. I wanted to do something DIFFERENT. Perhaps with a bit of meaning. This is what I came up with. And here is the explanation for it.

Outward appearances really only portray a SMALL piece (miniscule really) of who we are. The most important things that we are made up of are things that we have the control to show or hide. Only WE OURSELVES have the power to reveal the inward things of our soul; and to whom, and when. This photo captures that, since the things that make me who I am are all little snippets in the background-blurred- while a small piece of me (my body) reveals almost nothing about me. It is those things, JUST out of focus, that make me who I am. My relationship to God, to my husband, to my children. And my responsibilities to them.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If anyone else wants to participate in these weekly photo assignments-take a picture, let me kno and I will figure out a way to make some linkage. ;-)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I agree...what the world sees when it looks at our faces and bodies is such a small part of us.

Still, I hate having my picture taken. It's a big occasion if I actually keep or show my photo. It took some bravery to put that photo up that's on my blog of Mike and me.

Carrie J said...

I think it would be fun. So if you can figure out the linkages I would take part. I don't like to get my picture taken. On the inside I'm still 25 but the outside shows the real going on 50 me.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful necklace. And I definitely concur that it is what is inside that is beautiful and counts. Sure a good thing with this bod!!!!

Charree said...

I really like your picture and the meaning you put into it. It is so true that who were are on the outside is only a small bit of who really are.

Kelley said...

I love your self portrait. I also like what you had to say about taking your own pictures. I never let anyone take my picture. I had a nice family picture taken at a photo session and I got about 100 prints of that. My first picture in a while.

I always wonder how will my child remember me because I am the face BEHIND the camera, never on the camera.

Sommer said...

What a wonderful self-portrait!

Gena said...

That is a beautiful photo. My daughter, the photography major, did this for 30 days. It was quite amazing. If I can find it, I'll try to link you to her pictures.

Kelli said...

Wonderful post, Rebecca and your self portait is so lovely!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

I would like to participate. I am just getting into the hobby of photographing my family's life and I really enjoy it.

Let me know how to take part in it!